Broken Social Scene ARE the new Menudo! - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #196
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Picked up the CD at lunch today, and was lucky to get the last free copy of the EP to go with it.
Wait, did they actually give you a physical EP, or a download code?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #197
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
Well it wouldn't be a BSS release without a little dissent among the fan base.

Here's something: "Lover's Spit (Redux)" is damn near perfect.
Right with you.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Wait, did they actually give you a physical EP, or a download code?
Physical CD.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #199
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Physical CD.
Son of a motherless goat, they only gave me the digital download for pre-ordering it directly from them. I received the actual album yesterday, and it wasn't there. Maybe they'll send it later, but I doubt it.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #200
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

As a very, very long-time BSS fan (well, since YFIIP, anyway), I just wanted to chime in to express profound disappointment. I was about 50/50 on those Presents... albums, but I hate the fuck out of this thing. Wow. Listened to the stream several times, over the last twoish weeks, and can't even put into words how terrible I found about 9/10ths of this thing. Three of my listens found me falling asleep.

I'm not trying to attack anybody or say that people who like this record are wrong. In fact, I'm jealous. I was looking forward to this with tempered but positive expectations, and holy fuck...I'm sad, because I actually hate this record and I don't want to. I'm not just kind of let down (see The Hold Steady); I'm disgusted.

Don't like how comparatively spare the songs sound (and, yes, I realize that "spare" isn't the best word, but when you compare this sound to the last two OG BSS albums, you know what I mean), don't like the lyrics or especially the vocals, don't like the melodies, don't like...well, anything. "World Sick" is okay, and I do actively like "Meet Me In The Basement," but even that sounds a lot better live. I'll never forget seeing them in Tokyo, about 2.5 years ago, and seeing them play that with most of the crew + Stars + some Japanese kids/fans they met on the subway, that afternoon. AMAZING. This version's good, for sure. But I do wish that it was longer, and more krauty a la the live version.

Again, please don't hate. I'm not hating. I'm just sad. And I wonder if anybody feels the same way. Maybe...? Anyway, continue. I don't mean to derail. I'm just speechless, as I didn't see this coming.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #201
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:56 PM
I really don't see how it's that drastically different from their previous work that you would hate this but like those albums.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #202
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

It's SO different. It's highly anticipated.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, I was anticipating changes, for sure. I mean, McEntire and Newfeld are not quite the same producers. That's been a bigger personal hangup than I expected, but I was prepared for it. And the album has been nowhere near as anticipated as the self-titled, which followed what was, for many, a decade-definer. The lowered expectations, this time, have slightly contributed to the euphoric reaction. I don't mean that people like it because it's not the self-titled, mind you; I'm just saying that there's a kind of relief in a lot of the criticism that I've been reading. The ghastly Pitchfork review included.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Well, I was anticipating changes, for sure. I mean, McEntire and Newfeld are not quite the same producers. That's been a bigger personal hangup than I expected, but I was prepared for it. And the album has been nowhere near as anticipated as the self-titled, which followed what was, for many, a decade-definer. The lowered expectations, this time, have slightly contributed to the euphoric reaction. I don't mean that people like it because it's not the self-titled, mind you; I'm just saying that there's a kind of relief in a lot of the criticism that I've been reading. The ghastly Pitchfork review included.
I'm not sure what you mean, or how this relates to my comment.

Relief in what way? I haven't noticed any relief, more like appreciation that the band, after five years, is as good as it's always been. If that's relief, I guess I can see how people could have thought a five year layoff for the full band, this one might have been a letdown. I don't see it, but I can understand how that might be the gist you're getting.

That said, I'm not sure what the point you're making is.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #205
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

LMP said, "It's SO different. It's highly anticipated."
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

Well, what's different if it's not that? Certainly it doesn't copy their old albums, but it's unmistakably Broken Social Scene.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just to clear this up, I never said the album was drastically different. Here is what I wrote. I was responding to LMP, who either thinks it does or thinks that it's drastically different in that it's super anticipated. The latter of these two possibilities is wrong, the former one which I think is a matter of degree. I think it sounds like it was recorded by a different engineer (with more of an ear for "clean" sound), but otherwise, like I said, I just don't like the songs. That's all. Get on it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
As a very, very long-time BSS fan (well, since YFIIP, anyway), I just wanted to chime in to express profound disappointment. I was about 50/50 on those Presents... albums, but I hate the fuck out of this thing. Wow. Listened to the stream several times, over the last twoish weeks, and can't even put into words how terrible I found about 9/10ths of this thing. Three of my listens found me falling asleep.

I'm not trying to attack anybody or say that people who like this record are wrong. In fact, I'm jealous. I was looking forward to this with tempered but positive expectations, and holy fuck...I'm sad, because I actually hate this record and I don't want to. I'm not just kind of let down (see The Hold Steady); I'm disgusted.

Don't like how comparatively spare the songs sound (and, yes, I realize that "spare" isn't the best word, but when you compare this sound to the last two OG BSS albums, you know what I mean), don't like the lyrics or especially the vocals, don't like the melodies, don't like...well, anything. "World Sick" is okay, and I do actively like "Meet Me In The Basement," but even that sounds a lot better live. I'll never forget seeing them in Tokyo, about 2.5 years ago, and seeing them play that with most of the crew + Stars + some Japanese kids/fans they met on the subway, that afternoon. AMAZING. This version's good, for sure. But I do wish that it was longer, and more krauty a la the live version.

Again, please don't hate. I'm not hating. I'm just sad. And I wonder if anybody feels the same way. Maybe...? Anyway, continue. I don't mean to derail. I'm just speechless, as I didn't see this coming.
I'll stand by "comparatively spare," but I already qualified that as much as I think I need to. Most anything sounds comparatively spare, next to the last LP.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

I know you didn't say it was drastically different, it just seems like for someone who enjoyed their previous work so much, "comparatively spare" doesn't seem like enough to lead you from enjoying to actively hating the sound.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh, word. Like I said, I just don't like the songs. I find a lot of the melodies grating, and the cleaner production means that Drew's voice is (again, comparatively) more foregrounded. Not a big fan of his pipes, so that grated. Again, list of complaints upthread. Sorry. Didn't mean to derail. I just wanted to get it off my chest, and this is the thread. I'll just go. Not trying to convince anybody to feel the same way.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #210
45:33

Local Time: 04:56 AM
you're a strange cat IYS

on second listen, The Ode to Josef Fritzl is pretty good.

Tags
broken social scene