Brian Jonestown Massacre

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that last track is like 402 minutes, or something, isn't it? Some great moments, but absurdly long. Good album, though. Methodrone is basically lo-fi shoegaze with FAR fewer '68 psych trappings than the band would later usually/always utilize. A few female vocal numbers, even. Very thin recording, though. Undermines some of the songs terribly, doesn't hurt others too much at all. Some jams, for sure. Just too long for its own good. Don't get me wrong, though--I really like it. I'm just trying to be realistic about its shortcomings, you know?

Yeah! 33 minutes! Awfully long indeed... I guess those moments are not worth hearing the whole thing.
Welll, anyway... just heard Methrodone. It's indeed far from their 60's psychedelic style adopted on the subsequent albuns, but it's really good nonetheless. Coincidentally, it did remind me of My Bloody Valentine! And well... despite the good headphones, I kinda suck at noticing production/recording problems (which - most of the time - I guess, makes it easier for me to enjoy songs). Well remembered, the female vocals were a nice little surprise. And yeah, I get you... it's a very good album, maybe a BJM top 5 for me now.
(I know it's my first week listening to this band... but for fuck's sake, Who Killed Sgt. Peppers? is so damn good!)

So, just listened to Bringing It All Back Home - Again, We Are the Radio, Smoking Acid and The One, all BJM EPs worth the listen... "Arkansas Revisted" (the Charles Manson song) is really fucking great! Each one of those has at least two good songs. Also, I got to hear Live at The Hi-Fi, they're pretty good live too. This band is gettin' better and better with each new thing I find.

just based off the couple songs youtube-posted in here, i'm going to have to make a few purchases in the near future. holy awesomeness, batman. i am scratching my head and wondering how i've never at least heard the name before. maybe i have, but like it's been said, it's not exactly a forgettable band name. perhaps those record snobs i used to know weren't as hip as they thought.

No, it's because the frontman is an actual psychopath. He killed his own career several times over, and (literally) fought the most creative members of the band out of it. When they were in, though, they made some killer music.

I maintain that the two front-to-back essential records, and two of the best double LPs of all time, are...

Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request

113.jpg

...and Take It From The Man!.

138.jpg

Stupidly terrific records, whose still-overlooked brilliance is as good an indicator as late-period song titles like "We Are the Niggers of the World" of the genuine insanity of Anton Newcombe. Even the shit albums have good songs, but they/he never again put out not only so consistent, but so consistently stunning, a record. A good place to go after those two is the Tepid Peppermint Wonderland compilation.

yeah, but i am familiar with music put out by plenty of other psychopaths. actually, that's just one more reason i can't figure out how this particular lunatic skated past under my radar. crazy has been known to make plenty of good records.

i read the whole thread (!), i did notice that you think those two albums are starting and ending points for all that pertains to this band. and they will definitely be the first things i go check out. :up:

yeah, but i am familiar with music put out by plenty of other psychopaths. actually, that's just one more reason i can't figure out how this particular lunatic skated past under my radar. crazy has been known to make plenty of good records.

i read the whole thread (!), i did notice that you think those two albums are starting and ending points for all that pertains to this band. and they will definitely be the first things i go check out. :up:

In case it helps, this are the ones which I believe you must listen:

Who Killed Sgt. Pepper?
My Bloody Underground
Give It Back!
Methrodone

Also:

Thank God for Mental Illness
Take It from the Man!

In case it helps, this are the ones which I believe you must listen:

Who Killed Sgt. Pepper?
My Bloody Underground
Give It Back!
Methrodone

Also:

Thank God for Mental Illness
Take It from the Man!

much as i hate to admit it, especially since mofo might never talk to me again, i did not-so-legally download second request and take it from the man last night and listened to them both. then i youtube-listened to a bunch of other stuff, until i got a little sick of trying to weed out crappy live videos from other stuff. i want to get around to hearing it all, officially, though. next paycheck will definitely mean a trip to the music store, or over to amazon or something because i have a feeling since i found everything (and more) i was looking for last time i went cd shopping, next time i won't be as lucky.

really, really liking this stuff. :up:

why is strung out in heaven not considered awesome? it's been living in my car for the last couple days. i friggin love it--right now, moreso than the others i picked up (well, i have yet to take a listen to methadrone as of this post).

car being the operative word, homie. i didn't say converted vw bus with a smiley face painted on the side, now. hey, isn't that what you drive?

Perfect album for spring/summer weather, that Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request. Wonderful! Even the local record shops have been spinning it. Wonderful, I tell thee.

see, "let's pretend it's summer" is going over well nicely here since it suddenly did pretend to be summer a week or so ago. weird-ass 90-degree days, and then it got all cold and new englandy again.

actually, what i feel compelled to do is go download "servo," put it on the ipod and just listen to that on repeat tonight at work. i could do it.

Back
Top Bottom