Brian Jonestown Massacre - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Never listen to Xiu Xiu, then, Martha. Okay? No matter how much I or anybody else tells you to do so. Never. Never ever. Never.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 12:30 AM
I'll take your word for it. I'm sorry to disappoint.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

The Shouter is a trooper.

He is used to interland not necessarily embracing the music he does, but to his credit, he keeps recommending various and eclectic artists. I might like one in ten, but I'll be appreciative of that one.

That level of passion always garners much respect from me.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Hey, better that you tried, right? This way you'll never lose any sleep over it, or whatever. "Miss June '75" has vocal duties by Matt Hollywood, the sideman, rather than Anton Newcombe, the lead singer. If you're ever interested or curious, check out the "Jesus" and "Anemone" videos, upthread. There you get a sense of the same sonic structures of the Hollywood song with the vocals you'll recognize from the record you bought but felt kinda blah about. Always worth a try, right? And what's 10 minutes, between friends?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #20
She's the One

I listened to Jesus and really liked it. The other vid has been removed, but I listened to 30 seconds of Anemone on iTunes and liked what I heard.

Maybe I'll keep my eyes peeled for them at the used record stores.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
HCL
War Child

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Discovered them this week.... bloody amazing!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
She's the One

They're playing here sometime soon. I'm thinking about going, but I probably won't.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

New album's better than I'd expected it to be, after the last few abortions, but it may not be worth the price of admission. Still debating. Not because I might get kicked in the head (that's a cool story), but because he might decide to be a fuck-ass and refuse to play any of the classics, instead treating us to a night of "We Are the Niggers of the World" and "Auto-Matic-Faggot for the People," or whatever. Would not be down with that. Ugh.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #24
She's the One

You're not talking me into going.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #25
HCL
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
New album's better than I'd expected it to be, after the last few abortions, but it may not be worth the price of admission. Still debating. Not because I might get kicked in the head (that's a cool story), but because he might decide to be a fuck-ass and refuse to play any of the classics, instead treating us to a night of "We Are the Niggers of the World" and "Auto-Matic-Faggot for the People," or whatever. Would not be down with that. Ugh.
Really? I really enjoyed Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request and Take It from the Man! and Give It Back! (I'm listening to Thank God for Mental Illness as I write), but I also loved My Bloody Valentine and Who Killed Sgt. Pepper? (the opening song is amazing) and well, Strung Out In Heaven is very good too. Also, I've just listened to And This Is Our Music and Bravery, Repetition and Noise, those were kinda boring at first listen indeed. Gotta listen to it more...
Old 01-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff View Post
Really? I really enjoyed Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request and Take It from the Man! and Give It Back! (I'm listening to Thank God for Mental Illness as I write)
Like I said, I like the older stuff. New album is much better than I expected, too, yeah. A lot more electronic than I anticipated. Not sure how well that sound fits, but some of the songs are pretty solid. And you meant My Bloody Underground, right? That is an album I mostly dislike, but to each his/her own.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just got Bringing It All Back Home...Again, by the way, a few weeks ago. Got it hella-cheap, on clear vinyl. Really cool-looking, and...well, decent songs, yeah. Decent. I could do worse, for $8. And it usually goes for at least $20ish.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #28
HCL
War Child

Quote:
Like I said, I like the older stuff. New album is much better than I expected, too, yeah. A lot more electronic than I anticipated. Not sure how well that sound fits, but some of the songs are pretty solid. And you meant My Bloody Underground, right? That is an album I mostly dislike, but to each his/her own.
Jeez, why the fuck did I wrote My Bloody Valentine? God... I don't even drink... yeah, I meant My Bloody Underground. I really liked it... especially tracks 1, 3, 4, 12 and 13. Have you listened to Methodrone?
I thought the new album is great at first listen and it's still growing on me. The opening song is becoming a favorite.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, I do like Methodrone. Not worth the ridiculous prices for which it sells (and it is terribly, terribly, terribly mastered), but it's got some GREAT songs. The quintessential BJM release, really--20-30 minutes too long, some of the best songs you've EVER heard, plenty of stuffing, and a refusal not to run a good idea into the ground (for better or worse). Have you heard it, yet?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #30
HCL
War Child

Quote:
Yeah, I do like Methodrone. Not worth the ridiculous prices for which it sells (and it is terribly, terribly, terribly mastered), but it's got some GREAT songs. The quintessential BJM release, really--20-30 minutes too long, some of the best songs you've EVER heard, plenty of stuffing, and a refusal not to run a good idea into the ground (for better or worse). Have you heard it, yet?
I'm going to download it now... I've read somewhere that the sound is pretty different from what they did on subsequent releases, so I was wondering how good it was (given that it's their first proper album). But yeah... what you said interested me, I'll listen to it and see what I think.
By the way, Thank God for Mental Illness is good... the last song is kinda boring though, except for its last section.