Bouncing Souls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:up:

you'll tell us what songs are your favourites when you've got some established ones, right?

inquiring minds want to know

he's my friend he's my alibi
my accessory to the crime
a bond that will never die
til the end of time

:dance:

Oi, oi, oi, oi,
And his name is Lamar Vanoy

Awesome, so freaking awesome. :up:

Wow... a Bouncing Souls thread in a U2 forum site. What's next? They're from here... New Brunswick and that's probably how I even know about them... and also, my ex-roommate was a big fan and gave me this live cd called Tie One On. Personally I don't care much for this warped tour type punk. Don't flame me. :wink:

i won't flame you, but i can't go without pointing out that "warped tour type punk" is a fairly ignorant statement.

IWasBored said:
i won't flame you, but i can't go without pointing out that "warped tour type punk" is a fairly ignorant statement.

Agreed. And who cares what bands are mentioned here? It's the general music section, the whole purpose is to introduce people to new bands, music, genres, etc., outside of U2.

Back to the Souls, I read on their site that they're compiling some live songs to release at a later date, and they also have a concert DVD coming out this fall. They also said they're spending some of their time off jamming and writing songs :up:

Wowza, I can't believe we never discussed the live double album and The Gold Record here (maybe there was another thread search didn't find, wouldn't be the first time!)

Anywayz, I've been listening to the Souls again lately, randomly went to their website to see if they're working on a new album and read that 2009 marks their 20th year as a band. That makes me feel absolutely ancient, but I'm hoping and assuming that means they'll be releasing a new album in honor of that achievement.

I also recently found a video a roommate of mine had saved of the Souls years back off of some concert series/show that used to be on HBO (at least that's what I remember him saying it was). I remember we both were semi-obsessed with the band/video at the time, so it's cool to finally see it again. Here 'tis:

YouTube - The Bouncing Souls "Hopeless Romantic" LIVE

Everyone should be listening to the Bouncing Souls. :up:

Holy shit! I saw this just now! Yeah it probably was ignorant. I really don't know much about either Bouncing Souls or the Warped Tour, I'll admit :laugh: But I did go to the Warped Tour in 2001 with my old roommates from college and saw Rancid, Pennywise, Bad Religion, Henry Rollins (with Black Flag I guess?) and Bouncing Souls too... if I remember right. :hmm: Unless I'm confusing the fact that my roommates were Bouncing Souls fans in addition to being fans of those afore-mentioned punk bands. :shrug: Anyway I do like some of their songs like Bullying The Jukebox, Hopeless Romantic and Ole.

IWB was such a jerk 3 years ago, Zootsuit.

It's good that some things never change.

:wink:

:lol: that was you who said that? i remember it being said, just not the finer details. yeah, i'm still the same asshole. i just spend less time online now.

what has changed was i finally did get to see the souls last year. i don't know how many shows i missed (a few of which i had tickets to and then ended up without a ride to the show) in the 8 or so years before. but they've been around 20 years? wow. i knew i got into them way late (with how i spent my summer vacation and hopeless romantic being my introduction arount the time HISMSV came out), but that's making me feel old, too.

henry rollins was either solo or with the rollins band (which is as good as solo, really :down: ) in 03.

the gold record...you know, i really like their cover of "lean on sheena." i like it a lot. i love the original, but their version is pure bouncing souls. and it's not like avoid one thing was hugely different, i guess zoot would still call them the same kind of warped tour punk ( :wink: :wink: :wink: ). but to my ears it sounds significantly different. no opinion on the cover vs original of the kinks' song on that album because i've never heard it. and "so jersey" is probably one of my all-time favorite souls song. i like "the messenger" a lot, and "the pizza song." good stuff.

Did you ever come around to The Gold Song? I think I remember you hating it for a while. I like the tracks you mentioned, particularly the Lean on Sheena cover. I actually bought the original off of iTunes because I liked the BS version so much. I like both of them a great deal as well. Other than the songs you mentioned, I like 'Sounds Of the City' a great deal.

There's a Kinks song on the album?!

i sort of came around to "the gold song." hearing it live did that because you're right, i disliked it initially. it's good, but it's far from being one of my favorites.

"sounds of the city" is really good :up: that was a good album. we could talk about some serious music progression they've done over the years ("who's gonna throw the toilet, who's gonna throw the toilet off the roof..." i just listened to that the other day, actually).

"better things" is a kinks song :up: i never did get around to finding the original. i should do that. i should also have gone to sleep by now...

I like The Gold Song quite a bit, not sure what your deal on that one was. Hater.

Sleep is for hippies.

hippies now? i thought it was for the weak. true, hippies are weak. but not all weak are hippies.

i'm listening to the original "better things". i'll take the souls' version any day.

i might have mentioned this in one of the back pages of this thread, but it needs to be mentioned again. the sheer music apprecation in so many of the souls songs is great. bullying the juke box, that song, sing along forever, the major nod to springsteen in so jersey, i'm sure there's more that i'm forgetting.

the 80s movies love i can do without. :wink:

hey, now i'm listening to the gold record rather than sleeping. what the fuck.

It was a darkness all my own
A song played on the radio
It went straight to my heart
I carried it with me until the darkness was
GOOOOONNNNE

haha, yes, of course, only one of their best songs ever. and now i must listen to it. nope, nothing has changed.

i was listening to the undertones "teenage kicks" on youtube and reading people's comments. them saying the riff from the misfits "some kinda hate" and "teenage kicks" are rip-offs is like me saying that the street dogs ripped off "gone" when they recorded "jakes." it's punk rock, there's only so much musically a band can do to make the same chords sound unique.

Pfft, don't those youtube people know that U2 created all rock and roll sounds and THEY were the first and only punk band? Everyone is ripping them off. Everyone. They wrote this post first, I'm ripping them off.

shhhhh, the u2 police will hear you mocking TEH GR8EST BAND EVAR and make you watch bono's africa speechs while wearing a black beanie, sarong, and a sulky expression.

The new album sounds like Moroccan trance on Venus!!!

Well I walk into the bar and I put in 20 bucks because I know peoples' taste in music sucks

haha, neither do i. and as far as the song goes, i like "manthem" better.

I like East Side Mags quite a bit, but there's still something about the video that's so lame it's almost hilarious. It goes without saying that I like Manthem better as well.

it's still good, don't get me wrong. but yeah, particularly that scene with bryan pouring the beer all over his face...what the fuck :lol:

Back
Top Bottom