Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet: Happy 25th Anniversary !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I actually listened to it today.

Album tracks I enjoyed:

Let It Rock
Raise Your Hands
Wild In The Streets

Hits I still enjoy:

Livin' On A Prayer

Everything else was completely inane crap or schlocky power-ballad-by-numbers sell out shit. It was all kind of cloying, really...every song is either about being young, being Bon Jovi, or being young at a Bon Jovi concert, and I'm only one of those three things. And why is Ritchie Sambora considered one of the best guitarists of the 80s? He sounds like literally every hair metal guitarist of the time, especially the more canned label-approved ones. He never really ripped a solo that was particularly spirited and he used a fucking talkbox. Bullshit.

Yes, I prefer New Jersey. I also prefer Def Leppard's Hysteria, which has more ambition and melody in one track than this does in its entirety. Pyromania is better for Photograph alone.

I think Slippery When Wet would benefit from a track called Show Us Your Tits. The chorus could be something like "1...2...3...SHOW US YOUR TITS!" and then the women would show their tits. If you're using a talkbox, why be coy?

I think Slippery When Wet would benefit from a track called Show Us Your Tits. The chorus could be something like "1...2...3...SHOW US YOUR TITS!" and then the women would show their tits. If you're using a talkbox, why be coy?

They only played that song live...never put it on an album.

Just because Bon Jovi write cheesy lyrics doesn't make them bad. Not everybody needs to hear brilliant words every time they hear a song. Bon Jovi has their fair share of cheesy stuff, but some very good stuff too.

This could be why Sambora is one of the best guitarists of the 80's. He's my favorite, Edge is a close second.

http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=hRdIDHEaHYU#t=5m58s
http://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=VPO2d3xJEPA#t=7m2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPO2d3xJEPA#t=7m

Everything else was completely inane crap or schlocky power-ballad-by-numbers sell out shit. It was all kind of cloying, really...every song is either about being young, being Bon Jovi, or being young at a Bon Jovi concert, and I'm only one of those three things. And why is Ritchie Sambora considered one of the best guitarists of the 80s? He sounds like literally every hair metal guitarist of the time, especially the more canned label-approved ones. He never really ripped a solo that was particularly spirited and he used a fucking talkbox. Bullshit.

Yes, I prefer New Jersey. I also prefer Def Leppard's Hysteria, which has more ambition and melody in one track than this does in its entirety. Pyromania is better for Photograph alone.

I'm ashamed for spending another second in this thread, but pretty well-observed. Hysteria is a lot more fun, and while it certainly sounds cheesy now in its own way, I give Def Leppard credit for trying something different within that shitty genre of music. New Jersey might be "better" but that's like preferring a hairbrush shoved up your ass instead of a little cactus.

For a better comparison, I'd check out Poison's Flesh & Blood, or Open Up And Say Ahh. C.C. Deville is a far better guitarist than Sambora. The whole band is better, really, from the top-down.

Back
Top Bottom