Bon Iver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got_edge

Refugee
In this corner we will appreciate an amazing singer/songwriter and one of the best albums of 2007 (08?), For Emma, Forever Ago. :love:

Bon Iver is the name of indie folk singer-songwriter Justin Vernon's current band and most notable music project to date. The name, Bon Iver, is an Anglicization of the French, bon hiver (good winter). Vernon independently released Bon Iver's debut album, For Emma, Forever Ago in 2007 (re-released by Jagjaguwar in February 19th, 2008.), the majority of which was recorded while spending four months in a remote cabin in Wisconsin.

YouTube - Bon Iver -- Flume

Officious webpage
MySpace - have a listen!

I was inspi(red) to start this thread after I saw Vernon on the cover of Paste magazine. He's the loser on the far right:

pasteaugqg5.png

I said this elsewhere already, but I just got the album yesterday and I'd already put it in my year end list. It's that good. I LOVE 'Skinny Love', great song. When I got in the car to come to work today, the radio was playing 'Flume'.

For the non-believers, take a stop by Metacritic's music section, 'For Emma, Forever Ago' is presently the #3 highest rated album of the year according to their rankings. Music Reviews, CD Reviews - Metacritic.com

As a side note, Jagjaguwar's lineup is ridiculously solid.

The station of that video you posted, 893 The Current, has some awesome stuff in their Youtube page.

Eureka!!!

I'd heard 'Skinny Love' on my radio station a hundred times and I always liked it. Now I can put a name to the sound. Score one for got edge and the popmofo!

The station of that video you posted, 893 The Current, has some awesome stuff in their Youtube page.

Best radio station out there (89.3 The Current - Minnesota Public Radio). Every time I land in Minneapolis, it is the first thing I try to tune into. It just pisses me off it did not exist when I lived there. I had a sucky station called the zone (ala zonelistener). Just think...I could have been listener supported, public radio currentlistener. :angry:

As for Bon Iver..Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Love that. They (he) opened for Wilco when I saw them earlier this month. They (he) was GREAT!

Monday, September 8:
NBC: Late Night With Conan O'Brien: Bon Iver

I just watched this. A very lovely and understated performance.

However, either Conan was pronouncing Bon Iver wrong or I have been pronouncing it wrong in my head this whole time. Oops!

It's French, so pronounce it like you're French. I like to throw in some "ooh la la"'s and some nasally French "hahaha"'s in when saying it, so as to add to the imagery.

Any clue what song they/he played? I still have 30+ mins until they/he will perform here.

I've had Flume in my head since I woke up. I'm was impressed with how they filmed their performance on Conan last night, they actually used some interesting lighting effects.

Oh yeah, and Conan did pronounce it correctly, GAF.

:hug:

I'm sure you'll be able to find it on Youtube or Pitchfork today or in the next few days at the latest.

How did I let this slip through the musical cracks?

I think I'm in love.

Just listened to the album for the first time this week. Man I'm hooked on "For Emma". Such a great song.

Back
Top Bottom