Bon Iver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bros, THE BON! have just announced they're playing the prettiest theater in town this September. Tickets on sale this week. I also am going to pick the new album up during vinyl happy hour tonight. Justin Vernon is basically McCockne$$ing me right now.

My copy is sitting in a sorting facility in SLC. I should have it tonight unless they screw something up. Have only heard the lead single twice, so looking forward to hearing the rest.

I've got only vague recollections of the two NPR stream, so I'm somewhat in the same boat. Adrift on a salty lake.

Only now with the LP jacket in my hands do I realize just how Bob Ross-ian the cover truly is.

I like that they felt it worth mentioning that "no mellotrons were used in this recording."

Important info, indeed. I gave up attempting to read the lyrics out of the booklet, as that handwriting and my eyes do not get along well.

So Pitchfork gave this a 9.5, while PopMatters gave it a 6.

I really enjoyed about half of the debut, but I haven't listened to it in a while. I'll be curious to see if people like this one more or not.

I actually like it better than the first one. I find it more of a complete album, if that makes any sense. It's a beautiful listen all the way through.

Same here. Doesn't have anything as memorable as Skinny Love, but I find the album as a whole much more consistent.

I don't really care about consistency when Flume, Skinny Love, For Emma and Re: Stacks are among my favorite songs of the last 5 years, and better than anything on Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver.

The new one has grown on me though. There are no weak tracks and Perth > Minnesota has become one of my favorite duos of the year. So good.

My copy finally arrived and I listened to it about 4 times last night. It's kind of perfect.

Just bought the vinyl today on a whim because I like Calgary so much. Don't know a single other Bon Iver song

As much as I like the album, am I the only one who feels that Beth/Rest would fit perfectly playing over the ending credits of a 1980s, feelgood dramedy, with a tear jerking, yet life affirming message about the importance of friendship? Possibly starring Tom Cruise and John Candy as Chet and Frankie: Best friends since childhood who have a falling out over a job promotion dispute, only to be brought back together when it is revealed that one has been diagnosed with a life threatening illness

I doubt Tom Cruise and John Candy would have been in a movie together, Tom would have been far too concerned with Candy's engrams and uber-low OT level.

As much as I like the album, am I the only one who feels that Beth/Rest would fit perfectly playing over the ending credits of a 1980s, feelgood dramedy, with a tear jerking, yet life affirming message about the importance of friendship? Possibly starring Tom Cruise and John Candy as Chet and Frankie: Best friends since childhood who have a falling out over a job promotion dispute, only to be brought back together when it is revealed that one has been diagnosed with a life threatening illness
I love the song, but I'll admit that's pretty much a perfect description.

$3.99 Amazon album today for those who don't yet have it. Plus it comes with the digital booklet :wink:

I finally got around to hearing this in earnest (my copy arrived a day or so after I had left for a two-week holiday), and I must say that it is a hypnotic record. I cannot say that any one track immediately stands out, but I think that I will come to love it on account of the incredible mood that it creates and sustains. Vernon has a genuine gift in the versatility and litheness of his voice, which seems as though it can shape itself to any instrumentation surrounding it. The guy is a huge talent.

I haven't listened to this album nearly as much as I should have considering how long it's been out now. I like it, but never seem to find myself in the mood. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom