Bon Iver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked it more than I was expecting. Some lovely bits on it. And some noisy, ugly bits too.

Those song titles, though. UGH DUDE. NO.

This album is phenomenal. I've already listened to it about 15 times.
Some brief thoughts...

I wasn't feeling Deathbreast when it was just a single, but I'm really loving it now. A lot better in context of the album.
Creeks is like an angry "Woods" thrown into a blender. Love it. Great segue into "GOD", which has already been discussed before -- great song.
Stratford APTS. is the best song on the album IMO and is already one of my favorite Bon Iver songs. I was so glad to see that he hadn't totally abandoned his folk roots after the weird opening trio and the Kanye-esque "GOD".
666 is really good, but a bit disappointing. The Eaux Claire 2015 version had so much energy, I was really excited to see that it made the album. But that energy wasn't quite as prevalent, still a very good song, though.
Moon Water. Great segue between 666 and 8(circle). 8(circle) is the climactic song of the album, much like Holocene on Bon Iver, Bon Iver. Great song.
_45_ is a neat little song. Feels like the sequel to Woods.
00000 Million is really great. One of his best. I love the "days without numbers" coda in particular.
Overall, another cohesive masterpiece from Justin Vernon. I would dare say even more cohesive than Bon Iver, Bon Iver.
Looks like Justin is also on pace for his first ever #1 album. Well deserved. I've only physically purchased 3 new albums the last 4-5 years: Battle Born (The Killers), Blackstar (Bowie), and this one. Definitely worth it.

Is it doing that well, chart-wise?

in any case, I agree, I love it, and i think it will only surge in my views of it with further listens. Fav tracks so far are the phenomenal 33 God, 666 t, 8 circle and Strafford. But no outright bad songs for mine.

mofo better wade in soon, I saw you listening to it on Spotify motherfucker.

Seems to me that 8 Circle is this album's Beth/Rest - both are so shot through with nostalgia in their instrumentation. First impression is that the album kind of floats by without too much of a change of pace or texture throughout, except for some odd sound blips (like the disintegrating tape effect on Strafford Apts) where Vernon was being overly-clever.

I do appreciate the tracks where he sings in a normal register - it's a nice departure from the usual falsetto.

Fuck each and every one of you. Except Mofo. If his former religion permitted it I would ask him to marry me and we can ride naked on horseback into the sunset, listening to 22, A Million.

Ohh and BobSaget as well. But I can't marry a Republican, sorry.

Seriously, there are some breathtaking moments. Leaving aside 33 God, 666 t's drumming and electro squarks combined with the "I've laughed about it" lines are tremendous. 715 Creeks is gorgeous, like a better Woods. Strafford is absolutely lovely. Beth Rest is a good comparison for 8 circle, although the latter is better. The banjo at the end of 45.

0000 Million is the track that most recalls music of a time gone by, if you ask me.

Here are my song-by-song ratings:
Over Soon - 9/10
Deathbreast - 9/10
Creeks - 9/10
"GOD" - 9.5/10
Stratford APTS - 10/10
666 - 9/10
Moon Water - 9/10
8(circle) - 9.5/10
_45_ - 9/10
00000 Million - 10/10
Comes out to a 9.3/10 average and I'll give an additional .2 for being so cohesive.
9.5/10.
That's pretty high, but it's actually in the ballpark of the reviews it's getting.

Fuck each and every one of you. Except Mofo. If his former religion permitted it I would ask him to marry me and we can ride naked on horseback into the sunset, listening to 22, A Million.

I laughed out loud.

Ooof....just finished my first listen, having not read any reviews, impressions, or this thread, nor having heard any singles from it beforehand.

It's not very good.

But the opener and

are both quite good. I could probably do without ever hearing the rest of it again, but I'll give it a few more spins, just to be sure.

Really loved this. First time listen driving on the freeway at night. A couple tracks in the second half reminded me of an alternate direction Peter Gabriel could have gone in, if that makes any sense.

This will wind up ranking fairly high on my list, I imagine.

I went back and listened to the latest one the other day bc I found a special edition vinyl. It's quite lovely but can still really pass you by. It feels about half the length it actually is, and I'm not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing. I do wish he would sing in his lower register more often, though. He sounds great that way.

Seeing him for the first time this weekend. Excited, but I wish he was supporting a much better album.

Back
Top Bottom