Bob Dylan - Tempest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
Bob-Dylan-Tempest.jpg

Less than two weeks, folks!

Like Dylan's recent masterpiece Love and Theft, this new album will also be released on the ominous date of September 11th.

New video for the album's lead "single" and first track:

New and Hot Video: Bob Dylan Debuts Shockingly Violent New Video | Rolling Stone

And an article about the album:

Bob Dylan on His Dark New Album, 'Tempest' | Music News | Rolling Stone

A 14 minute-long song about Titanic? Sign me up.

Feel free to reminisce about older Dylan albums here as well.

I'm on my phone right now so not 100% sure here, but there's a great website with all the set lists (try googling BobLinks or BobPages), and you'll be surprised. I'd wager that half his set are from albums released in the 00's, def more than a third.

Seeing him in a few months. How much does Bob usually play from new albums?

I'm on my phone right now so not 100% sure here, but there's a great website with all the set lists (try googling BobLinks or BobPages), and you'll be surprised. I'd wager that half his set are from albums released in the 00's, def more than a third.

I think Laz means this one: Bob Dylan - Bob Links - 2012Tour Guide
With this being yesterday's setlist:
1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
2. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
3. Things Have Changed
4. Tangled Up In Blue
5. Rollin' And Tumblin'
6. Sugar Baby
7. John Brown
8. Love Sick
9. Summer Days
10. Visions Of Johanna
11. Highway 61 Revisited
12. Simple Twist Of Fate
13. Thunder On The Mountain
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man
15. Like A Rolling Stone
16. All Along The Watchtower

(encore)
17. Blowin' In The Wind

That said, I think it usually takes a while before material from his latest album starts appearing in his sets.

Excited for this one.

Also, how awesome is "Tweeter and the Monkey Man"? Just re-discovered that song recently.

:drool:

You can find all Dylan's set list's on his own website,

Right here......

Bob Dylan Set Lists | The Official Bob Dylan Site

His recent set lists have been pretty much the same for the last few years, and is mostly a good mix of 60's classics and recent 00's material with some 70's thrown in, the 80's and early 90's are left out for the most part.

He currently has a fantastic show, But I long for some set list variation as Dylan has an abundance of incredible songs to choose from!

This has leaked, and somebody already uploaded it to Grooveshark, so I'll be listening to this tonight or tomorrow. So excited. I fucking loved Together Through Life.

I gave Tempest a quick listen last night, and I must say it is a very good record! Dylan's voice sounds incredible and he is hitting some very nice melodies!

I wasn't too much a fan of TTL, and thankfully Early Roman Kings is the only song that has connotations to that sound.

One critique is, at times the rhyming sounds very basic, like rhyming honey with money etc...,

But overall Dylan is right back on track IMO, Fantastic album!
Higlight's for me are Roll On John, Pay In Blood, and Long and Wasted Years.

Get wait to pick this up on record!!!

I personally found it to be a wonderful continuation of Together Through Life, so, in other words, not disappointed in the slightest.

Pay In Blood is the best Rolling Stones song since Beast of Burdern. What a great little groove.

Love the atmosphere on Scarlet Town.

Dylan sounds super smooth on Soon After Midnight, filling that Beyond The Horizon/Moonlight spot.

More later, but this is a welcome impovement on Together Through Life. Maybe as good as Modern Times; both have some tracks I'm not crazy about.

A little clarification here: the main issue with Together Through Life isn't really the border town sound, which admittedly wears me out well before the album is over. More importantly, it's the writing and the slightness of the songs.

The big improvement with Tempest is the storytelling and narrative devices. What Dylan unleashes here are fascinating, evocative tales, with Pay In Blood and Tin Angel two of the meanest, most vengeful things he's ever recorded.

The title track, the 14-minute epic about Titanic, is a lot of fun. I love the reference to DiCaprio (though he takes it in a whole new direction), and it's a nice mixture of humor, history, tragedy, and poetry. Perhaps not as deep musically as his other recent long tracks like Highlands or Ain't Talkin', but I'd probably choose to hear it over Joey from the Desire album.

Track #3, Narrow Way, reminds me a lot of Tombstone Blues. And no surprise, it's not an improvement. But it's upbeat and fun and at near the top of the album doesn't bug. Early Roman Kings, at least musically, is the clunker here for me. Not only does it bring back the sound of Together Through Life, but its simple blues arrangement is something that's been done a million times, and Dylan himself has done it before. It adds virtually nothing to his repertoire.

The closer, Roll On John is occasionally cliche (especially with the "shine your light" and "burn so bright" in the chorus), but what saves the song is the fact that Dylan doesn't get overtly personal too often, and there's a clear love here for the memory of John Lennon, and the music (esp that little piano part in the background) makes this sound like something that could have come from Lennon himself during the Imagine/Mind Games/Walls and Bridges period. It's a nice way to go out.

This probably has the same number of highlights as Modern Times, but I'd say it's a bit more diverse and energetic. Is there anything on here as good as Spirit On The Water or Workingman's Blues? Tough call.

Very excited to hear this after that post Laz. It seems to be getting good notices but good to hear from a fan.

I didn't really care much for Together Through Life either, but I do rank Time Out of Mind over Love & Theft.

Fuck yeah, this is on Spotify. I'm definitely listening to it later tonight. Might even smoke a little bit of grass before. Who's to say?

Who's to say where the ZIMM! will take you
Who's to say how much weed will bake you
I don't know
How many trees I'll blow

I'm surprised you haven't asked if Tempest is a good entry point into the Dylan discography.

I tried starting with Under The Red Sky, (because Christgau liked it) but wasn't a fan. Won't be pursuing him further.

That's like saying you tried starting to get into David Bowie with Never Let Me Down, couldn't get into it and won't be pursuing him further. Geez...

Better entry points are Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks or Oh Mercy (released only 1 year before Under The Red Sky but a world of difference).

Holy fuck, the title track is just phenomenal. The classic melody and piano line, the rhythm of it, the way it floats along, the repetition of certain sections of lyric with the "chorus", the violin...it's mesmerizing. It's fun, but there's a lot here to dissect. One of the best and most memorable Dylan songs of the last 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom