Blur, Oasis, or The Verve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad Laz mentioned Pulp and Suede.

They're both far superior to Oasis as well. In fact, I have no qualms saying that Different Class and Suede's self-titled are my two favorite britpop albums.

Britpop was such a media creation, in fact I'm left wondering if it ever actually existed outside of a six month period in 1995 or so involving a spat between Oasis and Blur over who could be the more British. Oasis won, but not in a good way.

Pulp, The Verve and others never fit into any of that except in the most convenient and momentary of ways. Then of course there was the bastard stepchild Radiohead who never fit at all, who knew.

Oasis, Pulp, Suede and The Verve's best albums/songs can stand up against the best LPs/tunes from Blur.

But when you look at the overall career value, Blur is one of the most consistently great acts of the last thirty years, thus making this argument not even close.

Britpop was such a media creation, in fact I'm left wondering if it ever actually existed outside of a six month period in 1995 or so involving a spat between Oasis and Blur over who could be the more British. Oasis won, but not in a good way.

Pulp, The Verve and others never fit into any of that except in the most convenient and momentary of ways. Then of course there was the bastard stepchild Radiohead who never fit at all, who knew.

Different Class earned the britpop tag through its strong sociopolitical bent, I will say that much. It's one of the quintessential examples of the genre. Go past that one to This Is Hardcore and all of a sudden the britpop completely disappears, however.

This Is Hardcore has a lot of the same lyrical themes as Different Class IMO. Just from the perspective of someone a bit older and a bit sleazier.

Different Class earned the britpop tag through its strong sociopolitical bent, I will say that much. It's one of the quintessential examples of the genre. Go past that one to This Is Hardcore and all of a sudden the britpop completely disappears, however.

This is true, I agree. I suppose it was serendipity that it landed in that moment (ie. 1995), but by no means the whole picture where that band was concerned.

Common People alone firmly entrenched Pulp into the Britpop scene. Along with Parklife and Don't Look Back in Anger, it's one of the quintessential Britpop songs and videos.

Be Here Now typically marks the end of the era, but I'd argue England losing on penalties to Germany in Euro 96 really did it in.

Back
Top Bottom