Blur, Oasis, or The Verve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like you're the musical me from a parallel universe. Always in the same atom, but you're always the electron to me being a proton.

(You're so negative, that's why you're the electron)

(I'm the proton because I'm clearly 1000 times more massive than you are)

(You're the election because I can predict with some certainty what you'll do next)

(I'm the proton because I'm repulsed by folks of my own kind, yet forced to be around them all the time)

(I guess this means we are attracted to each other...)

(I'm quarky)

(End of atomic jokes)

Well, in 8th grade science, we're learning about atoms, Protons and electrons and neutrons, so that's a good joke.

Best Verve song:

Wish they had kept on with this sound instead of adopting britpop sensibilities. McCabe's guitar should never, ever take a backseat to anything for any reason.

Whoa, just saw this thread. From roughly '94 to 2000, I listened to Oasis a lot. But, the brothers were definitely assholes. I liked Noel more than Liam. The first two albums are their best stuff.

Best Verve song:

Wish they had kept on with this sound instead of adopting britpop sensibilities. McCabe's guitar should never, ever take a backseat to anything for any reason.

i see your studio version of slide away and raise you the best live version:

Noel at his best is a better songwriter than Bono and The Edge. Unfortunately for Oasis, he was very lazy and this was something that u2 were not during their most prolific years. Oasis are better than the other two groups mentioned by some distance and could have been better than u2 as well if they weren't high all the time and spent more time on their music.

:lol: Oasis fan boys are cute.

Oasis were good, but never great. Noel is talented, but derivative and often simpleton.

Oasis were actually at their best when they actually got a little "self indulgent" on Be Here Now, it's a shame they decided to walk away from that, their discography after that has its moments but never any good albums.

Blur were very hit and miss for me, The Verve were great though and I still revisit the first three quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Oasis were actually at their best when they actually got a little "self indulgent" on Be Here Now, it's a shame they decided to walk away from that

I think you know what's coming:

:huh:

No reason to put "self indulgent" in quotation marks; that's exactly what Be Here Now was. When the most memorable aspect of a record is how much of a pain in the ass it is to listen to, that isn't good.

Every Blur record is better, including Leisure, because it has two great songs on it and it's only 50 minutes long.

Oasis has two legitimately great albums and a handful of great songs on every album after those two. You don't go to Oasis for innovation; you go for the hooks and the melodies, which are there in droves. I can respect the quirks and adventurous streak of Blur, but I don't enjoy them as I do Oasis.

I think you know what's coming:

:huh:

No reason to put "self indulgent" in quotation marks; that's exactly what Be Here Now was. When the most memorable aspect of a record is how much of a pain in the ass it is to listen to, that isn't good.

Every Blur record is better, including Leisure, because it has two great songs on it and it's only 50 minutes long.

I put it in quotations because that's how they described the album, that their experimenting was self indulgent. I saw it differently, I am the minority and actually like the album. I can't get through any album after it. Not only were they ripping off others, but they started ripping off themselves.

I did quite enjoy Noel's reworking of D'You Know What I Mean. For all of its bombast, it will always be one of the great Oasis songs for mine.

:lol: Oasis fan boys are cute.

Oasis were good, but never great. Noel is talented, but derivative and often simpleton.

Oasis were actually at their best when they actually got a little "self indulgent" on Be Here Now, it's a shame they decided to walk away from that, their discography after that has its moments but never any good albums.

Blur were very hit and miss for me, The Verve were great though and I still revisit the first three quite a bit.

I stand by my statement. U2 are not capable of producing the melodic verses and hooks that Oasis did. U2's verses are fairly understated by comparison. Line up Oasis' ten best songs against u2's and I think most objective listeners will give the edge to Oasis.U2 are still the better band as their albums are more consistent in terms of quality, have more soul in their music, their lyrics are far superior, they are more innovative with their sounds and they blow Oasis away live. As a rock singer, I prefer Liam's voice to Bono's but that's just a personal preference.

Last edited:
There are far, far more elements to songwriting than penning catchy hooks and universal lyrics that reach across the aisle. Otherwise, Max Martin would be arguably the greatest songwriter of this century.

And it's just silliness to say that Oasis' 10 biggest hits (you said "best" but that's subjective to the point of meaninglessness) would hold up against U2's. The opening trilogy of Joshua Tree alone ends this comparison and that ignores Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, One, Beautiful Day, etc. etc. U2's hits are better and more universally resonant.

And yes, I think the first two Oasis albums are awesome.

Last edited:
I've always been more of a Blur guy. I don't think either The Verve or Oasis can match the run of Modern Life is Rubbish through 13. Even the weaker Great Escape has a lot of great tunes, like Stereotypes, Country House, The Universal and He Thought Of Cars.

Parklife and the self-titled are untouchable.

I stand by my statement. U2 are not capable of producing the melodic verses and hooks that Oasis did. U2's verses are fairly understated by comparison. Line up Oasis' ten best songs against u2's and I think most objective listeners will give the edge to Oasis.U2 are still the better band as their albums are more consistent in terms of quality, have more soul in their music, their lyrics are far superior, they are more innovative with their sounds and they blow Oasis away live. As a rock singer, I prefer Liam's voice to Bono's but that's just a personal preference.

Yeah, I've seen your misunderstanding of melody over the years, you put far too much importance on nursery rhyme sing-song melodies. As LM said, there's much more to songwriting than catchy sing alongs.

Yeah, I've seen your misunderstanding of melody over the years, you put far too much importance on nursery rhyme sing-song melodies. As LM said, there's much more to songwriting than catchy sing alongs.

I'm aware that there are other components to it as stated in my earlier post, and hence why I rate u2 as a better band, but for your to simply write off the major aspect of song writing suggests that you are a u2 fanboy first and foremost. While the other bits are important, creating a great piece of melody outshines everything else because it's so difficult to do. If writing nursery rhyme sing songs as you put it was a easy as you think, other bands would be writing melodies as good as Noel's best efforts too, but not many can, including u2.

I'm aware that there are other components to it as stated in my earlier post, and hence why I rate u2 as a better band, but for your to simply write off the major aspect of song writing suggests that you are a u2 fanboy first and foremost. While the other bits are important, creating a great piece of melody outshines everything else because it's so difficult to do. If writing nursery rhyme sing songs as you put it was a easy as you think, other bands would be writing melodies as good as Noel's best efforts too, but not many can, including u2.

I'm not "writing off the major aspect of song writing". Look, we've had this conversation for years. You once said that Dylan and the Stones don't belong on any top 20 song writing list because they "don't write melodies". Your understanding of melody is kindergarten, I'm sorry, but like I said this has been a long going conversation.

If you can't understand the melodies that Dylan or the Stones have created then you'll never be able to have this conversation.

I could think of twenty or thirty bands, or artists of whatever description, who wrote or write more interesting melodies than Oasis without even making an effort.

yes, actually. But I'm not claiming that straight-up melody was even their biggest gift (and trying to make it so has been their downfall). But at their best, yeah.

Now who's the windbag.

I'm not "writing off the major aspect of song writing". Look, we've had this conversation for years. You once said that Dylan and the Stones don't belong on any top 20 song writing list because they "don't write melodies". Your understanding of melody is kindergarten, I'm sorry, but like I said this has been a long going conversation.

If you can't understand the melodies that Dylan or the Stones have created then you'll never be able to have this conversation.

This.

1. Blur
2. The Verve (though we'll always wonder what could have been without McCabe's mental health issues)
3. Supergrass
4. Pulp
5. Suede
6. Sleeper

Fuck Oasis.

Well, clearly Bono rates Oasis a lot higher than the experts on this forum and has heaped praise on them over the years. He's a big fan of Noel's and invited him to the studio during the SOI sessions. Bono must not know what he's talking about then...

Well, clearly Bono rates Oasis a lot higher than the experts on this forum and has heaped praise on them over the years. He's a big fan of Noel's and invited him to the studio during the SOI sessions. Bono must not know what he's talking about then...

Once again you fail at logic.

Most on here have said they like Oasis, but that your take on melody is wrong.

Why are you having such a problem with this?

Back
Top Bottom