Blue Hawaii - Untogether

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
So, I kinda forgot this band existed until I was browsing Has it Leaked yesterday. Apparently they have a new album coming out March 4th/5th. Also, it's apparently leaked.

Anyways, these guys share a label with Grimes, and I really am hoping that doesn't steer people away, I know this board has an odd relationship with that little lady. They share a similar sound, but more to Grimes' earlier material than today.

Here is the two part single from their new album, to give you an idea.

Blue Hawaii - In Two / In Two II - YouTube

You can hear their debut album, Blooming Summer on their Bandcamp page:

Blooming Summer | Blue Hawaii

It was my 27th favorite album (out of 127 albums) in 2010, no joke, I am excited to hear the follow-up.

This is my favorite song of theirs:

Blue Hawaii - Blue Gowns - YouTube

I was going to start this thread last night, but I was too tired, but coincidentally they released another song today that Pitchfork is fond of. I absolutely hate it, unfortunately, but perhaps you'll all disagree:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/14788-try-to-be/

(I could not disagree more with their comment that this is the best song to be introduced to the band with)

Also, cheesy but kinda cute album cover:

artworks-000038352709-p95hfk-t500x500.jpg

For me this is a band dominated in my mind by one song, Dream Electrixra, which is pretty much chillwave-influenced electropop perfection.

I was hoping Untogether would perhaps have more material in that vein, but no such luck. That said, on my first listen last night, I still thoroughly enjoyed it - and I don't really think their sound has drifted that close to Grimes. Need to listen to it again (and on headphones) to form some more solid opinions though.

The new single sounds like Dirty Projectors without the cool guitar. The singer sounds like she very much enjoys hearing herself sing.

Their debut EP/LP was extremely pleasant and more chillwave in nature than whatever this new sound is.

I'm surprised by how early it leaked, as it's not due out until March, but we've been getting a lot of 6-week early leaks lately.

Lol, well, I also enjoy your favorite, fwiw.
Surprised you disliked that one so much, but ah well.

Lol, well, I also enjoy your favorite, fwiw.
Surprised you disliked that one so much, but ah well.

I didn't say I really dislike it - in fact, I dig it musically - but those vocals? Not so great, to my ears.

Also, I still remember you making a post about "scandalous lyrics! :ohmy:" the first time you heard Blooming Summer. :lol:

You guys have posted basically the whole album.

I'm waiting for Khan to show up and post "Katie".

:lol:, I went looking for my comments on the album last night and I saw that post as well. I don't know what I meant because I relistened to the album without headphones last night. Obviously I was being sarcastic :tongue:

And you said that you found the song off-putting, I was just jumping to conclusions, I suppose.

And yes, we've almost got the whole damn thing now :drool:

I don't know why the "scandalous lyrics" post stuck in my brain so much, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think of it sometimes when Blue Gowns comes on. :laugh:

I really like that "In Two" single / EP. Haven't heard anything else yet.

And the Men and Rhye. Great batch this week.

I'll be listening to this later. Excited, even though I disliked the lead single.

Well, I finally heard this.

Can't say I loved it.

Can't say I disliked it.

Somewhere in the realm of being really pretty while being entirely underwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom