Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lil'Bono

War Child
I'm not a big fan of Bloc Party, in fact i think most of their stuff is crap, but their new song two more years is amazing!!! The thing is i've tried everywhere to get it and i've been told that it was limited edition and that it wont be coming in again. So i was wondering if anyone had it and if they would be kind enough to send it to me?

Thanx!! LittleBono07@aol.com

Ok, I didn't want to start a whole new Bloc Party thread when there's about 7 out there, but . . .

OH MY GOD! AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING!

Saturday night, the last show of the U.S. tour, in this tiny, tiny little park on a Native American reservation about 30 minutes east of El Cajon, San Diego.

I saw them for the first time this past March at The Wiltern in Los Angeles and they blew me away, but this time . . . there are no words!! F***ING BRILLIANT! Easily one of the Top 5 concerts I've ever been to and I've been to A LOT of concerts!

My friend (Mike) and I arrived at the venue about 6:00 and by the time they let us in at 7:00 we were about 1/2 way back in line. IMO, San Diego crowds are pretty cool and laid-back. No rushing to the stage, and the pushing and shoving was almost non-existent. Mike and I got all the way up to the front. There was just one couple in front of us and then the rail.

The first opening band, The Macabees, were fun. They were young, in their late teens, and they looked exhausted, a bit hungover, and probably unsure of what had just happened to them on their whirlwind tour of the States. But their music was upbeat, jangly-pop-rock, 2-minutes-per-song fun, something akin to The Strokes. In between songs the lead singer was funny and endearing with his self-effacing humor and easy reparte with the audience.

Next up were The Noisettes. Having never heard them before, I was struck by some similarities to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs: a punkish trio, with non-linear songs, whose female lead singer prowls the stage exuding a raw, trashy, dirty, sex-kitten vibe. They started off a bit on the mellow, non-descript side until a fan in the audience screamed for them to crank it up a notch and, to their credit, they did. The lead singer then left the center-stage mic and was all over the stage and in the audiences face, bringing the needed energy and the thump! to their set. By their last 3 songs we were lapping up The Noisettes and cheering for more!

And then the party really began.

To say Bloc Party are amazing live is an understatement. They have a passion for their music that translates perfectly in a live setting, and as a band they just give and give and give, and then give some more.

Normally, I'm an anal type of concert-goer, who keeps track of setlists and what time the band starts and what time they finish. Saturday night? I have no idea!

I was so lost in the music and jumping and screaming and singing my head off (2 days later and I'm still croaking in a shot, sand-paper voice)!

I know they opened with "Song for Clay (Disappear Here)". I know in between every song and every chance I got, I screamed at the top of my heart, "MATT! I LOVE YOU, MATT!!!!" I know they relied heavily on SILENT ALARM for the night's material. I know that Kele said Bloc Party were about honoring older songs as well as the new and current material. And I know this because I about died when he said, "this is an old one," right before they went into Little Thoughts and So Here We Are . . . OH MY GOD, LITTLE THOUGHTS!!!!! :rockon: :rockon:

Kele was in a great mood, asking us if we were ready to dance and then telling us that he sure was (and then going into "She's Hearing Voices"), or telling us they weren't done with us yet and then going into another full-on rocking number ("Pioneers", maybe? For once I can't remember).

They completely brought the sun and moon and stars down with "Like Eating Glass", almost melting the park around them with their heat and intensity and I do believe my wild po-go-ing and jubilation nearly did launch me into orbit! :combust:

Mike and I were standing righ in front of Gordon and at one-point he stuck the tip of his bass right into our section and all of us with our grabbing hands got to touch his bass and pluck the strings. Then, a short while later, Kele jumped off the stage and jumped right into our section! I got to pat him on the back and then I grabbed his non-microphone wrist and and threw it up in the air in a victory-charge ralley! It was so frickin' awesome.

My personal highlight of the night though, came when upon one of my numerous, "MATT, I LOVE YOU!" cries of endearment, standing up, Matt looked right at me, smiled and pointed his drumstick at me. That almost killed me right then and there. :drool:

They ended the night with "Sunday" and then a blistering "Helicopter". Later on, I saw a portion of a torn setlist which showed that they had planned to end with "SRXT", but they must've realized they couldn't have topped the absolute fevered heights they had reached with "Helicopter", and like any great stage act knows . . . . leave 'em wanting more.

I know I sure do!

Last edited:
I really think you should have just started a new thread instead of bumping a terrible one. With all the threads Radiohead and Coldplay get around here, Bloc Party deserve more :D

I'm glad you had a good time... being in front at a Bloc Party show is amazing. Sounds like you rocked out as much as I did :rockon: so cool that you touched Gordy's bass and put Kele's arm in the air!!

and yeah, they played Little Thoughts at my show too. It made me happy 'cause it was the first Bloc Party song I heard.

I wish they would have come closer to where I live again. Hopefully they'll tour again. if they break up my soul will die

AtomicBono said:

if they break up my soul will die

Why would they break up? They're on FIRE right now!!!

I know AWITC just came out, but I can't wait for the next full-length album!!! I don't want my expectations to be too high, but this band has so quickly (I just discovered them in February) ROCKETED up my favorite bands list!

So amazing! 2 days later and I'm still thinking about how great the show was!!!! :D

FitzChivalry said:

I know AWITC just came out, but I can't wait for the next full-length album!!!

Same here.

But again, we just had an active Bloc Party thread that had to be within the first two pages and someone bumped this? Haha

FitzChivalry said:

Why would they break up? They're on FIRE right now!!!

Well I used to post on a Bloc Party forum and I read that Kele was thinking about starting a family and if so the band might be on hiatus... but I think that was an offhand comment and in other articles they've talked about the new album

Gordy recently said:

"The third album, I’d like to think, we’ll get to make a little more in peace. The thing I get asked over and over again is, “Did you feel pressure in making your second record?” And sometimes I say “Yeah”, because I think we did. But sometimes I say “No”, because we tried to ignore the pressure. But there was expectation, definitely, and I’d like for us to be able to make music in a vacuum. That’s the ideal – to not be concerned with any sort of peripheral distractions or expectations."

so it sure doesnt sound like theyre breaking up :)

Everyone I know is like "YEAHHH BLOC PARTY" and I know a few singles and am really intrigued. Maybe because the lead singer is unintelligible, I don't know.

Please recommend to me some songs to change my opinion.

annie_vox said:
I'm seeing them in two weeks :hyper:

(And I have no place to sleep after the concert :hide: I'm trying to solve that now...)
http://www.couchsurfing.com/

xaviMF22 said:

should I get their first album ?

Hell yeah, Xavi!!! Definitely get "Silent Alarm". It's much more upbeat and rocking than it's darker more mature, introspective younger brother, "A Weekend In The City".

Canadiens1160 said:

God, they have SO many great songs. Yeah, Kele can sing a bit unintelligibly at times, but it's sooooooo worth figuring it out!

IMO (and I know AtomicBono and I disagree on some of these :wink: ) some great ones:

From Silent Alarm:

--Like Eating Glass :combust: :rockon:
--Banquet
--Blue Light
--She's Hearing Voices
--Little Thoughts
--So Here We Are
--Luno

B-Sides:

--Two More Years :drool: :drool:
--Hero

From A Weekend In The City:

--Song for Clay (Disappear Here) the lyrics are :drool:
--Hunting for Witches
--Waiting for the 7.18
--On
--Sunday
--SRXT

And I think you said you've already heard "I Still Remember" which is just a piece of perfectly crafted Brit-pop rock!

Yes folks, I think I can safely say that Bloc Party are ZOOMING up my
all-time favorites list rather quickly!!!!

:drool:

The "I Still Remember" video is amazing. The song is a little bit more traditional sounding from them, but the vocals are astounding and gorgeous.

Canadiens1160 said:
Everyone I know is like "YEAHHH BLOC PARTY" and I know a few singles and am really intrigued. Maybe because the lead singer is unintelligible, I don't know.

I'm going to send you Silent Alarm tomorrow when I wake up. :love:

I was not a big fan, but, still wanted to check out A Night in the City. I loved it immediately, and, listened to it incessantly....eventually, went back and listened to Silent Alarm, and, viola!, liked it a lot better this time around.

Canadiens1160 said:

http://rapid share .com/files/38254419/Peel_Session.zip.html

Here is a copy of the Peel Session, which was a radio performance they did of So Here We Are, Tulips, Luno, and Compliments. Though I enjoyed Little Thoughts, it was this little live set that made me fall absolutely in love with Bloc.

I have Silent Alarm and Weekend in the City but I haven't been in the mood to listen to them yet.

Icky Thump's release doesn't help either. I do really like Banquet and This Modern Love, though. :up:

You have them but won't listen to them? Do yourself a favor and forget the White Stripes (Especially since it's not out until next week) and let yourself be taken in by some amazing new sounds.

The White Stripes album just came out this Tuesday. :eyebrow:

Yeah, I'll listen to them later.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The White Stripes album just came out this Tuesday. :eyebrow:

Yeah, I'll listen to them later.

Eh sorry, I kind of lost track with the leak so long ago, thought it was next week.

powerhour24 said:
The "I Still Remember" video is amazing. The song is a little bit more traditional sounding from them, but the vocals are astounding and gorgeous.

No, it's all about the last two choruses where Matt adds a drum track. I don't know if it's a snare or what, but I know it's not in the other choruses. Anyway, that additional track he adds just totally kicks the song up and lifts it to the finish line.

He so f***g brilliant!!!!!

Well, they all are. :drool:

Over 1 week later and I still can't get that concert out of my head! That rarely, RARELY ever happens to me! They were SO DAMN GREAT!!!!! :rockon:

The "I Still Remember" video hits home for me... It reminds me so much of the first time I went to a summer festival! And the song and lyrics too. I'm really looking forward to see that song in concert.

One week to go:hyper: :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom