Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FitzChivalry said:
Awwwww! At a PETA benefit!

600-blocparty-puppies.jpg

:cute:

I just wanted to say that the song Flux has grown on me a lot. It's so catchy!! I don't think I'd want a whole album of songs like it, but I wouldn't mind more along this vein.

They're coming up on their last shows for the AWITC tour. I think Dec. 14th is the last show.

I suppose they'll take most of 2008 off (since they've been touring non-stop all this year, and even some of 2006, for AWITC). So probably no new BP until '09. :sad:

Ahh, well . . . . all good things to those who wait! :wink:

I agree that we probably won't get new BP til '09, but I don't think young bands usually spend a whole year doing nothing...they'll probably take a couple months off and then get to recording. :up:

They seem to be hinting that they've done some recording for a new album already, I agree they'll take a rest after an extensive tour but we could see new material earlier than March 09...probably even before we get a new U2 record.

I like the fast-pace of "Flux" and I hope they go more in that direction. I'd like to see the next album have more of the kinetic energy and speed of "Like Eating Glass", "Banquet" and "Luno" with the style and craftsmanship of "Waiting For The 7.18", "Song For Clay (Disappear Here)" and "I Still Remember".

Faster, more rockin' songs than the 2nd half of AWITC and I'll be a happy, happy boy! :D

Personally I love AWITC from start to finish, I think it still has to be my top album of 07, not everything needs to be fast rock, SRXT is heart-breaking, gorgeous and on the verge of post-rock which is an awesome direction.

Flux is a really addictive, hyper active song, I agree with AtomicBono though, I don't want a lot in the same vein.

Don't get me wrong, I love AWITC and have really no big or major gripes about it, but, I guess what I'm trying to get at is this . . . .

They definitely showed a special and unique approach to ballads on Silent Alarm (So Here We Are, This Modern Love and to an extent . . . Blue Light, Two More Years, Tulips and Hero) . . . . ballads with a beat, I guess you could call them. The drums in So Here We Are just MOVE, and yet I'd still consider it a ballad.

And while I love Kruezberg and SRXT, they are really beautiful songs, I don't think they show off Bloc Party's unique ballad strengths. The drums in Sunday are intricate and sound great, but they don't exactly MOVE like SHWA or TML . . . . and overall the song, while again beautiful, sounds more like an traditional ballad, and not utilizing the uniqueness and essence of their particular band and sound.

I do love AWITC, I just think the 2nd half slows down a little too much. :shrug:

But then, who the hell am I? I don't even play a frickin' instrument, let alone create great, great music! :lol:

Last edited:
Great point. Kreuzberg and Sunday are kind of like Bloc Party trying U2. Which, I think they're fantastic songs, and SRXT is heartachingly gorgeous as well...I love AWITC, and it's basically tied with In Rainbows as my top album this year. The ballads are definitely different than the earlier Bloc ballads though. Which, personally I think it's great that they tried something different. That's what I love about AWITC. It's still Bloc, but they moved their sound forward a lot.

However, I also agree that there is something very special about the songs you mentioned. Perhaps it's partially nostalgia on my part, cuz those songs hit me at the right time, but I've just been listening to This Modern Love, Blue Light, So Here We Are, and Tulips practically nonstop lately. They are beautiful, beautiful songs and they truly are unique... I do think the drums are a big part of it. But there's also the interaction between two guitar parts. I hardly even noticed the lead guitar in Blue Light when I first heard it, but it's gorgeous. and of course the dreaminess of So Here We Are is all in how the two guitars and bass weave around each other. I think AWITC has a little less of that in its ballads. There is something to be said about the simplicity of the earlier ballads. Having the slick production and loops and such created a different atmosphere on AWITC, for me anyway.

Also, for me the songs Two More Years, Hero, and The Present (beautiful song...if you don't have it, I will send) kind of have a different sound that's a bridge between the two albums (which makes perfect sense, 'cause that's when they were released). They're musically...not boring, but...sparse? It's hard to describe, but in all three of those songs I think the focus is on the beat and Kele's voice. I think maybe part of it is the weird delay effect in the guitar. I like it though.

Basically I love everything Bloc Party has done, ever :wink: they're quite easily in my top 5 bands ever...maybe even top 3. I'm looking forward to what they do next, and wondering how much their fanbase will grow. It was amazing to see them in such small venues twice this year, and I'd love to it again, but I feel like they could light up a stadium with some of the massive sounds on AWITC... how do they do in big festivals? has anyone seen them at one?

powerhour24 said:
So many great b-sides off AWITC. . . . ."Once and Future King" . . . . :drool:

They played "The Once and Future King" at the last show I saw them at. :drool: (Ok, so I went a little Bloc crazy this year and saw them 3 times in concert.) They also played "Two More Years" at that last show. Oh, how I went ballistic at that one!!!!! :hyper:

:drool:

VOH is great but Atonement just gets to me so much...although some of the vocals really remind me of Echo & the Bunnymen...not that that's a bad thing.

:hyper: :hyper: :drool:

US TOUR PRE-SALE

Bloc Party have confirmed a handful of US dates this summer.

The tour will go on sale to the general public on the 2nd of May, though members of Marshals can buy tickets on pre-sale now.

The full summer schedule (including festival appearances) is below:

July
28 - The Glass House, Pomona CA ( pre-sale available) +
29 - Mayan Theatre, Los Angeles CA ( pre-sale available) +
30 - Fillmore, San Francisco CA ( pre-sale available) +

August
01 - Lollapalooza, Chicago IL
05 - Fillmore Theatre of Living Arts, Philadelphia PA ( pre-sale available) +
06 - Webster Hall, New York NY ( pre-sale available) +
07 - Webster Hall, New York NY ( pre-sale available)
09 - V Festival, Baltimore MD
15 - Highfield Festival, Hohenfelden DE
21 - Marlay Park, Dublin IE
23 - Reading Festival, Reading UK
24 - Leeds Festival, Leeds UK

September
06 - V Festival, Toronto CA

+ support from Does It Offend You, Yeah? (get a free download of 'We Are Rockstars' here).

More news soon.
Bloc Party

I reckon the best sequence of songs on an album in 2008 was:

Kreuzberg
I Still Remember
Sunday

Absolutely, mesmerising, if only for the lyrics alone.

^^Word.

I'm considering going to the V festival, don't know if it'll work out. But I'm going to be really mad if they skip Boston again after they did that last fall.

:drool: :drool:

Just heard "The Present"!!! :rockon: My God, these B-sides are as friggin' good as the A-sides!!!

This band consistently blows me away with their PURE AWESOMENESS!!!!

I hope they pull out some new songs at the shows. My friends and I got tickets to Los Angeles (The Mayan) and New York (Webster Hall) . . . and best of all, my BEST friend has never seen them and doesn't really know them that well, so I bought her a ticket to the L.A. show. I'm so excited that I'm going to get to introduce her to Bloc Party live!!!! :D :D :D :D

I can't wait!!!! :hyper:

i m a huge fan of bloc party, i believe they are one of the most important new bands! the second album was cool though not as brilliant as the first!

Back
Top Bottom