Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xaviMF22 said:

Matt is fucking hilarious :lol:

And HOT! :drool: :rockon:

That was really hilarious!

And he wasn't kidding about Russell! He didn't talk at ALL during last night's set, and he kind-of, sort-of cracked a smile once when Kele, Gordon and himself went off-key during "Sunday"?, I think it was. They were all playing in different keys, and Russell sort of smiled, while Kele, Matt and Gordon were flat out smiling wide!

I LOVE BLOC PARTY!!! :heart: :heart:

Blocparty01a.jpg

- Kele Okereke: hater of liberals, advocate of nice hair and DAMN SEXY.

:lol:

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Bloc_Party

I still say plans is one the best songs the have ever done

Wake up dreamer
It's happening without you
Cut your hair and shave your beard
You squandered your chances
I'll give you a thousand pounds
To show me how you do it
Stop being so laissez-faire
We're all scared of the future

:drool: :drool:

:bow:

:lmao:

Bloc Party were the first band other than Arctic Monkeys to appear on the cover of NME. However, the interview was centred around how much the Arctic Monkeys mean to them. "Alex is my favourite", Kele "I like apples" Okereke said, in a manner not dissimilar to Gary Glitter.

"Fluxed - A song about sex with robots"

:drool:

and yes that video is hilarious...Matt :heart: "Here's a table, it's round! And this used glow-in-the dark bracelet, also round."

glad you had another good show Fitz! :up: They played Two More Years the first time I saw them but I'm jealous that you saw The Once and Future King...awesome, awesome.

the song Flux goes well with Map of the Problematique by Muse...I love that sort of electronic dance rock :drool: I hope this isn't completely indicative of their sound for the next album though, because a whole album of that would probably get boring. and I don't know if Bloc Party could pull off a Kid A :wink:

Is it me or is Kele (pronounced "Kelly", I guess. I thought it was "Key - Lee", but anyways) is Kele not the best singer live?

I love the guy to death, but . . . listening to some YouTube performances of them in concert, his voice is very thin and often a bit off-key. :sad:

If you're not a great singer live, can that improve? I know nothing about singing. Can your voice get better live with practice?

I thought he sounded pretty good on Saturday, but then I just saw a clip of "Sunday" from that night, and his (and Matt's) singing wasn't very good.

:(

Any thoughts?

FitzChivalry said:
Is it me or is Kele (pronounced "Kelly", I guess. I thought it was "Key - Lee", but anyways) is Kele not the best singer live?

I love the guy to death, but . . . listening to some YouTube performances of them in concert, his voice is very thin and often a bit off-key. :sad:

If you're not a great singer live, can that improve? I know nothing about singing. Can your voice get better live with practice?

I thought he sounded pretty good on Saturday, but then I just saw a clip of "Sunday" from that night, and his (and Matt's) singing wasn't very good.

:(

Any thoughts?

he reminds me a lot of Thom

Thom can be a very crappy singer live..I mean its just that he doesn't care about staying in tune or anything.

But kele does seem to enjoy playing live :D

But that's Thom's whole "thing" kind of . . . . fake falsetto and not caring. It's more about the emotion with him than hitting the right notes.

I don't think it's the same with Kele. Oh well, hopefully he can improve . . . . sound more like he does on the records.

Either way I still love him live. He's so passionate and you can tell he has such a great time.

FitzChivalry said:
But that's Thom's whole "thing" kind of . . . . fake falsetto and not caring. It's more about the emotion with him than hitting the right notes.

I don't think it's the same with Kele. Oh well, hopefully he can improve . . . . sound more like he does on the records.

Either way I still love him live. He's so passionate and you can tell he has such a great time.

I think its the same with Kele :wink:

What I meant (and didn't state very well or clearly) is that I don't think Thom cares about hitting the right notes, whereas, I think Kele is trying to hit the right notes and missing. :(

But, whatever, I love them, that's all that matters. :wink:

Hell, Bono's voice definitely improved and got stronger over the years. Here's hoping Kele will follow. :up:

FitzChivalry said:
What I meant (and didn't state very well or clearly) is that I don't think Thom cares about hitting the right notes, whereas, I think Kele is trying to hit the right notes and missing. :(

But, whatever, I love them, that's all that matters. :wink:

Hell, Bono's voice definitely improved and got stronger over the years. Here's hoping Kele will follow. :up:

I don't think he is...Kele is a great singer..but he can't sing all that well live :wink:

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. It hasn't slowed them down any or impeded their success.

I think they've been doing fairly well in the States, and I think they're massive in the U.K.

I'm pinning my hopes for U2/Radiohead successors on them and Arcade Fire.

I hope they make it. :applaud:

FitzChivalry said:
Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. It hasn't slowed them down any or impeded their success.

I think they've been doing fairly well in the States, and I think they're massive in the U.K.

I'm pinning my hopes for U2/Radiohead successors on them and Arcade Fire.

I hope they make it. :applaud:

I think they will

they are worthy successors to RH..

I don't think they have the ambition to be as big as U2 though :wink:

So is an album imminent given Flux and the other tracks recorded with Jacknife Lee, or is it a one off EP like Two More Years/Hero??

They've been calling "Flux" a single, so I'm guessing it's going to be just like "Two More Years" and "Hero".

They've been touring this entire year. Actually, I think they started some dates in '06. I think they played San Diego Street Scene and Coachella in '06. After over a year of straight touring, I'm sure they're going to want to collapse for a few months before going back into the studio.

At least I would! :yawn: :drunk: :crazy:

Collapsing before I can see them play AWITC tracks is not acceptable, but new material is.

It's alright, my concert slate is excellent for the rest of the year, I've got Bruce and Sting among others to make up for those Boston skippers haha.

I love Bloc Party. They're probably my favorite rock band that's come out in the past five years. :cool:

FitzChivalry said:

And I think you said you've already heard "I Still Remember" which is just a piece of perfectly crafted Brit-pop rock!

Ok, I'm quoting myself just so people don't think I'm jumping on the bandwagon when I say what I'm about to say:

I am such a DOLT! I had NO IDEA "I Still Remember" was about unrequited homosexual love!!!

I just found some references on YouTube and I was like, "What are they talking about?" . . . then I found the lyrics.

DUH! :huh: :reject:

OMG, if possible, I love this song even more now that I know what the hell it is about!

So I didn't want people thinking I'm jumping on the bandwagon just because I'm gay and the song is about unfulfilled gay love. As per the quote above, I've always loved this song.

But I think I love it a little more now. :drool:

or more like, love that COULD have happened, but never did because they were too scared or something like that. I think it was supposed to be mutual homosexual attraction that was never acted on.

but yeah, amazing song, very interesting subject matter. I like how subtle it is. its not like LOOK A SONG ABOUT GAY LOVE GAY GAY GAY, but if you actually pay attention to the lyrics you'll catch it - girls don't usually wear ties after all :)

i love the sort of wistful nostalgic yet also happy feel to the song. It's very complex really. Smart pop music :up:

I'm bumping this thread for purely selfish reasons.

Something about the weather getting colder has made me really want to listen to Silent Alarm. I can't believe it's been three years since I discovered Bloc. The Peel Session still brings about these nostalgic feelings I can't even fully describe. I remember just listening to those four songs (So Here We Are, Tulips, Luno, and Compliments for anyone who hasn't heard it...which if you haven't, you should. I love it) over and over on my new U2 iPod. And being in love. Both with the music and...someone.

also I've really been loving Blue Light lately. "If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is" is my new life attitude. It's kind of zen.

Also Silent Alarm Remixed really ain't bad for a remix album. I enjoy listening to it. Not as much as the regular album, but some of the remixes - like Blue Light, Luno, and Compliments - really rival the originals.

Also I think Flux is out officially on Monday or something.

Back
Top Bottom