Bloc Party - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #61
Refugee
 
annie_vox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Where the wind calls my name
Posts: 1,492
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Two more





I hope you don't die Fitz

But seriously I love Kele's expression on the last one... He was always smiling during the concert, you could see he was really enjoying himself... Halfway through the concert he jumped from the stage and ran down a "corridor" (not a b-stage it was a space in the middle of the crowd where there were loads of security guys) and the crowd went crazy... I was smashed but there was no problem... He just seems to be such a nice person...

Now I can't stop listening to the album This one and Icky Thump are being played over and over again...
__________________

__________________
annie_vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,284
Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by annie_vox
[B]



I hope you don't die Fitz

Actually, I'm a little concerned about him in that 2nd pic. What are those 2 huge red parts on his upper chest!? It looks like the skin has been ripped off or something. I hope he doesn't have Ebola!

And, no, I won't die . . . unless that beautiful man was presented to me up close and personal . . . then I just might keel over.



Quote:
But seriously I love Kele's expression on the last one... He was always smiling during the concert, you could see he was really enjoying himself... Halfway through the concert he jumped from the stage and ran down a "corridor" (not a b-stage it was a space in the middle of the crowd where there were loads of security guys) and the crowd went crazy... I was smashed but there was no problem... He just seems to be such a nice person...

Kele does seem very nice. He was also smiling throughout the show we saw, and making cute little jokes. For someone who can write some seriously depressing lyrics, he sure is happy in concert. But I like that about him!
__________________

__________________
FitzChivalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry



I was SO HAPPY when I read the lyrics to Song For Clay (Disappear Here) for the first time. It's basically an homage to one of my favorite authors/novelists!

Song For Clay (Disappear Here) is a reference to Bret Easton Ellis and his work.

You may have heard of Ellis' first novel, Less Than Zero, and the opening line to Less Than Zero is: "People are afraid to merge on the freeway." And Clay is a character in the novel (or the brother of the main character, I can't remember, been a long time since I've read it).

In fact, I think Clay also appears in Ellis' second novel, The Rules Of Attraction, or maybe Clay's in his third novel, American Psycho. I can't remember now. I haven't read them in a while. Bret Easton Ellis is AWSEOME!

Just like Bloc Party!
I haven't actually read any of Bret Easton Ellis' novels, but I do love it when bands reference authors. I mean, I've never been a huge RATM fan, but I just love how George Orwell is referenced in Testify. "Who controls the past now controls the future, who controls the present now controls the past!"

Bands should reference authors more often.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by annie_vox


But seriously I love Kele's expression on the last one... He was always smiling during the concert, you could see he was really enjoying himself...
Great pics! And yeah, Kele's a big smiler. At least judging from all the videos I've seen on YouTube. I love it when artists enjoy themselves at gigs, smiling at the audience and whatnot. It is extremely infectious when you can see that they are visibly enjoying themselves.

Man, I wish I could see Bloc Party live. I'm moving to Toronto when I do my master's degree, JUST so that I can see more shows.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #65
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,182
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Ok, so I love this band

Ever since I downloaded the tracks last night they've been on constant repeat, even at work which helped me in my writing.

I especially love SRXT. I'm now on my 10th straight listen. I know it's a sad song, and I read the lyrics, but it has such a beautiful melody. And I love Kele's voice on this track.

Thanks Stephanie once again!
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #66
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoManiac
Ok, so I love this band

Ever since I downloaded the tracks last night they've been on constant repeat, even at work which helped me in my writing.

I especially love SRXT. I'm now on my 10th straight listen. I know it's a sad song, and I read the lyrics, but it has such a beautiful melody. And I love Kele's voice on this track.

Thanks Stephanie once again!
I'm glad you like them! And it's my pleasure, I always love seeing more people getting into the band.

SRXT is stunning, both in terms of melody and lyrical content. I was having a rough time not too long ago, and I remember sitting on the bus back home with SRXT on repeat, leaning my head against the window pane. I must have listened to it at least twenty times before I had to change to something else. Surprised I didn't end up bawling right there on the bus, it's just such a depressing song. But depressing in a good way, you know?


Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry and I loved her


That chokes me up every time!
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,359
Local Time: 04:39 AM
I'm loving Weekend in the City. I had tried to get into their debut a couple of times, but it never clicked. Weekend in the City has a lot of great melodies and basslines mimicking the guitar lead, which does it for me
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:56 AM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Banquet is my ringtone, and I never want to answer the phone, I just start singing along.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 04:39 AM
I'm so bummed, they finally announce some US dates and Boston of all places gets skipped, normally I wouldn't hesitate at going down to NYC especailly for them, but it's on a wednesday which makes it awkward.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,779
Local Time: 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl




SRXT is stunning, both in terms of melody and lyrical content. I was having a rough time not too long ago, and I remember sitting on the bus back home with SRXT on repeat, leaning my head against the window pane. I must have listened to it at least twenty times before I had to change to something else. Surprised I didn't end up bawling right there on the bus, it's just such a depressing song. But depressing in a good way, you know?



Can't see how it's depressing in a good way. It's downright nasty.

It's funny though. While you couldn't stop listening to the song, I avoid it like the plague. That bit about that fella Eugene just sounds too haunting, and that instrumental explosion during the middle section just sounds like musical genocide.

I can't bear to listen to SRXT anymore. The album ends at Sunday to me....
__________________
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 04:39 AM
It's not nasty, it's a beautiful song. Gripping and gutwrenching in it's emotion, and the delivery of the lyrics by Kele is just amazing, on top of that the music is perfect and very post-rock, if you can't take the lyrics (which do move me to tears) listen to it instrumental.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
xaviMF22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In haunted attics
Posts: 7,090
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl


Great pics! And yeah, Kele's a big smiler. At least judging from all the videos I've seen on YouTube. I love it when artists enjoy themselves at gigs, smiling at the audience and whatnot. It is extremely infectious when you can see that they are visibly enjoying themselves.

Man, I wish I could see Bloc Party live. I'm moving to Toronto when I do my master's degree, JUST so that I can see more shows.


this band is


Hunting for Witches

Uniform
__________________
xaviMF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:20 AM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life
 
AtomicBono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 10,486
Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl


I'm glad you like them! And it's my pleasure, I always love seeing more people getting into the band.

SRXT is stunning, both in terms of melody and lyrical content. I was having a rough time not too long ago, and I remember sitting on the bus back home with SRXT on repeat, leaning my head against the window pane. I must have listened to it at least twenty times before I had to change to something else. Surprised I didn't end up bawling right there on the bus, it's just such a depressing song. But depressing in a good way, you know?


Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry and I loved her


That chokes me up every time!
yeah I know the feeling

if you're actually suicidal it's not a great idea to listen to that song but i made it guys its okay but yeah that song is pretty much perfect

On is another incredible song that took awhile to grow on me. It reminds me a lot of the VU song Heroin. The dissonant string arrangement really adds a lot to the song, and I love the breakdown (which I believe Kele descirbed as the U2 stadium moment ). and the way he sings "I am hopeful, and stutter-free..." I just want to hug him!! (he has a stuttering problem, apparently.) also this song has a lot of personal meaning to me. not that I do cocaine or anything i just...get it.

And Waiting for the 7.18 ... what an amazingly uplifting song.

Honestly, A Weekend in the City is the best album of 2007 for me, thus far. Jacknife Lee's production on it is top-notch. I love all the little sounds going throughout, voices, etc...it really evokes the feeling of a city. I think if you can make a connection with this album (which I'm thinking many can; it has some universal themes), you will really love it. Pretty much for me Bloc Party is the best new band out there, and I'm glad to see other Bloc heads here!
__________________
AtomicBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono


Honestly, A Weekend in the City is the best album of 2007 for me, thus far. Jacknife Lee's production on it is top-notch. I love all the little sounds going throughout, voices, etc...it really evokes the feeling of a city. I think if you can make a connection with this album (which I'm thinking many can; it has some universal themes), you will really love it. Pretty much for me Bloc Party is the best new band out there, and I'm glad to see other Bloc heads here!
Yeah, I completely agree. It's a more bitter Kele, but the themes and events explored give the album a darker, more mature edge and they've really grown into their own souns. It's not as instantly catchy as Silent Alarm, but it's better.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,284
Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine


. . . and that instrumental explosion during the middle section just sounds like musical genocide.

Actually, the middle instrumental break reminds me A LOT of M83's album "Before The Dawn Heals Us". The very first time I heard SRXT and that part, that's the first thought that went through my head - hmmmm, kind of sounds like M83.


Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono
On is another incredible song that took awhile to grow on me. It reminds me a lot of the VU song Heroin. The dissonant string arrangement really adds a lot to the song, and I love the breakdown (which I believe Kele descirbed as the U2 stadium moment ). and the way he sings "I am hopeful, and stutter-free..." I just want to hug him!!

And Waiting for the 7.18 ... what an amazingly uplifting song.

These are 2 of my favorite songs off AWITC!!! I loved On from the first time I heard it.

And I think Waiting for the 7.18 is THE best song on the entire album. Oh, the drumming on that song! Matt is just absolutely, absolutely amazing on Waiting for . . . . The way he plays in between and around the steady electronic beats . . . DEFINITELY my favorite off the whole album!

God, I frickin' LOVE this band!!!!!!
__________________

__________________
FitzChivalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bloc party

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com