Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two more ;)

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7625.jpg

I hope you don't die Fitz:wink:

But seriously I love Kele's expression on the last one... He was always smiling during the concert, you could see he was really enjoying himself... Halfway through the concert he jumped from the stage and ran down a "corridor" (not a b-stage it was a space in the middle of the crowd where there were loads of security guys) and the crowd went crazy... I was smashed but there was no problem... He just seems to be such a nice person...

Now I can't stop listening to the album:D This one and Icky Thump are being played over and over again...

annie_vox said:

IMG_7625.jpg

I hope you don't die Fitz:wink:

Actually, I'm a little concerned about him in that 2nd pic. What are those 2 huge red parts on his upper chest!? It looks like the skin has been ripped off or something. I hope he doesn't have Ebola! :ohmy:

And, no, I won't die . . . unless that beautiful man was presented to me up close and personal . . . then I just might keel over. :wink:

But seriously I love Kele's expression on the last one... He was always smiling during the concert, you could see he was really enjoying himself... Halfway through the concert he jumped from the stage and ran down a "corridor" (not a b-stage it was a space in the middle of the crowd where there were loads of security guys) and the crowd went crazy... I was smashed but there was no problem... He just seems to be such a nice person...

Kele does seem very nice. :yes: He was also smiling throughout the show we saw, and making cute little jokes. For someone who can write some seriously depressing lyrics, he sure is happy in concert. But I like that about him! :D

FitzChivalry said:

I was SO HAPPY when I read the lyrics to Song For Clay (Disappear Here) for the first time. It's basically an homage to one of my favorite authors/novelists!

Song For Clay (Disappear Here) is a reference to Bret Easton Ellis and his work.

You may have heard of Ellis' first novel, Less Than Zero, and the opening line to Less Than Zero is: "People are afraid to merge on the freeway." :drool: And Clay is a character in the novel (or the brother of the main character, I can't remember, been a long time since I've read it).

In fact, I think Clay also appears in Ellis' second novel, The Rules Of Attraction, or maybe Clay's in his third novel, American Psycho. I can't remember now. I haven't read them in a while. Bret Easton Ellis is AWSEOME!

:bow: Just like Bloc Party! :rockon:

I haven't actually read any of Bret Easton Ellis' novels, but I do love it when bands reference authors. :up: I mean, I've never been a huge RATM fan, but I just love how George Orwell is referenced in Testify. "Who controls the past now controls the future, who controls the present now controls the past!"

Bands should reference authors more often.

annie_vox said:

But seriously I love Kele's expression on the last one... He was always smiling during the concert, you could see he was really enjoying himself...

Great pics! And yeah, Kele's a big smiler. At least judging from all the videos I've seen on YouTube. I love it when artists enjoy themselves at gigs, smiling at the audience and whatnot. It is extremely infectious when you can see that they are visibly enjoying themselves.

Man, I wish I could see Bloc Party live. :sad: I'm moving to Toronto when I do my master's degree, JUST so that I can see more shows. :lol:

Ok, so I love this band :love:

Ever since I downloaded the tracks last night they've been on constant repeat, even at work which helped me in my writing.

I especially love SRXT. I'm now on my 10th straight listen. I know it's a sad song, and I read the lyrics, but it has such a beautiful melody. And I love Kele's voice on this track.

Thanks Stephanie once again!:bow:

BonoManiac said:
Ok, so I love this band :love:

Ever since I downloaded the tracks last night they've been on constant repeat, even at work which helped me in my writing.

I especially love SRXT. I'm now on my 10th straight listen. I know it's a sad song, and I read the lyrics, but it has such a beautiful melody. And I love Kele's voice on this track.

Thanks Stephanie once again!:bow:

I'm glad you like them! :applaud: And it's my pleasure, I always love seeing more people getting into the band.

SRXT is stunning, both in terms of melody and lyrical content. I was having a rough time not too long ago, and I remember sitting on the bus back home with SRXT on repeat, leaning my head against the window pane. I must have listened to it at least twenty times before I had to change to something else. Surprised I didn't end up bawling right there on the bus, it's just such a depressing song. But depressing in a good way, you know?

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry and I loved her

That chokes me up every time! :sad:

I'm loving Weekend in the City. I had tried to get into their debut a couple of times, but it never clicked. Weekend in the City has a lot of great melodies and basslines mimicking the guitar lead, which does it for me :drool:

Banquet is my ringtone, and I never want to answer the phone, I just start singing along.

I'm so bummed, they finally announce some US dates and Boston of all places gets skipped, normally I wouldn't hesitate at going down to NYC especailly for them, but it's on a wednesday which makes it awkward. :(

GibsonGirl said:

SRXT is stunning, both in terms of melody and lyrical content. I was having a rough time not too long ago, and I remember sitting on the bus back home with SRXT on repeat, leaning my head against the window pane. I must have listened to it at least twenty times before I had to change to something else. Surprised I didn't end up bawling right there on the bus, it's just such a depressing song. But depressing in a good way, you know?

Can't see how it's depressing in a good way. It's downright nasty.

It's funny though. While you couldn't stop listening to the song, I avoid it like the plague. That bit about that fella Eugene just sounds too haunting, and that instrumental explosion during the middle section just sounds like musical genocide.

I can't bear to listen to SRXT anymore. The album ends at Sunday to me....

It's not nasty, it's a beautiful song. Gripping and gutwrenching in it's emotion, and the delivery of the lyrics by Kele is just amazing, on top of that the music is perfect and very post-rock, if you can't take the lyrics (which do move me to tears) listen to it instrumental.

GibsonGirl said:

Great pics! And yeah, Kele's a big smiler. At least judging from all the videos I've seen on YouTube. I love it when artists enjoy themselves at gigs, smiling at the audience and whatnot. It is extremely infectious when you can see that they are visibly enjoying themselves.

Man, I wish I could see Bloc Party live. :sad: I'm moving to Toronto when I do my master's degree, JUST so that I can see more shows. :lol:

:up:

this band is :drool: :drool:

Hunting for Witches :drool:

Uniform :drool:

GibsonGirl said:

I'm glad you like them! :applaud: And it's my pleasure, I always love seeing more people getting into the band.

yeah I know the feeling

if you're actually suicidal it's not a great idea to listen to that song :uhoh: but i made it guys its okay :wink: but yeah that song is pretty much perfect

On is another incredible song that took awhile to grow on me. It reminds me a lot of the VU song Heroin. The dissonant string arrangement really adds a lot to the song, and I love the breakdown (which I believe Kele descirbed as the U2 stadium moment :wink: ). and the way he sings "I am hopeful, and stutter-free..." I just want to hug him!! (he has a stuttering problem, apparently.) also this song has a lot of personal meaning to me. not that I do cocaine or anything :shifty: i just...get it.

And Waiting for the 7.18 ... what an amazingly uplifting song.

Honestly, A Weekend in the City is the best album of 2007 for me, thus far. Jacknife Lee's production on it is top-notch. I love all the little sounds going throughout, voices, etc...it really evokes the feeling of a city. I think if you can make a connection with this album (which I'm thinking many can; it has some universal themes), you will really love it. Pretty much for me Bloc Party is the best new band out there, and I'm glad to see other Bloc heads here! :drool: :wink:

AtomicBono said:

Honestly, A Weekend in the City is the best album of 2007 for me, thus far. Jacknife Lee's production on it is top-notch. I love all the little sounds going throughout, voices, etc...it really evokes the feeling of a city. I think if you can make a connection with this album (which I'm thinking many can; it has some universal themes), you will really love it. Pretty much for me Bloc Party is the best new band out there, and I'm glad to see other Bloc heads here! :drool: :wink:

Yeah, I completely agree. It's a more bitter Kele, but the themes and events explored give the album a darker, more mature edge and they've really grown into their own souns. It's not as instantly catchy as Silent Alarm, but it's better.

intedomine said:

. . . and that instrumental explosion during the middle section just sounds like musical genocide.

Actually, the middle instrumental break reminds me A LOT of M83's album "Before The Dawn Heals Us". The very first time I heard SRXT and that part, that's the first thought that went through my head - hmmmm, kind of sounds like M83.

Originally posted by AtomicBono
On is another incredible song that took awhile to grow on me. It reminds me a lot of the VU song Heroin. The dissonant string arrangement really adds a lot to the song, and I love the breakdown (which I believe Kele descirbed as the U2 stadium moment ). and the way he sings "I am hopeful, and stutter-free..." I just want to hug him!!

And Waiting for the 7.18 ... what an amazingly uplifting song.

These are 2 of my favorite songs off AWITC!!! I loved On from the first time I heard it.

And I think Waiting for the 7.18 is THE best song on the entire album. Oh, the drumming on that song! Matt is just absolutely, absolutely amazing on Waiting for . . . . The way he plays in between and around the steady electronic beats . . . :drool: :combust: DEFINITELY my favorite off the whole album!

God, I frickin' LOVE this band!!!!!! :rockon:

xaviMF22 said:
So here we are :drool:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uuGV5jy9VI4

look at Kele smile :drool:

such a joyous song :love:

So beautiful! Yeah, his smile is just contagious! He's actually one of the few musicians I'd like to meet one day :hmm: Have you ever got that feeling that you don't want to meet a musician that you love because you're afraid you might be disappointed or you just wouldn't know what to say? I do all the time... I wouldn't like to meet most of my "idols" (not only musicians). But there's something about Kele that makes me think that he must be so nice to talk to...

Am I the only one in love with Luno? It's been my favorite Bloc Party song ever since I heard Silent Alarm for the first time. I just love how upbeat and thrilling it is, especially the part where Kele sings "Come back to me the way you were, the way you were when we were young." :combust:

Bonos_Lemon said:
Am I the only one in love with Luno? It's been my favorite Bloc Party song ever since I heard Silent Alarm for the first time. I just love how upbeat and thrilling it is, especially the part where Kele sings "Come back to me the way you were, the way you were when we were young." :combust:

Oh yeah, Luno is badass. One of the best Bloc songs. After Little Thoughts, my first experience with Bloc Party was a four-song set they did for radio - So Here We Are, Tulips, Luno, and Compliments. I could not stop listening to it. Some of their best work.

I love the "I can cure the sick..." verse of Luno...and Death from Above 1979 did a tight cover of it for the Silent Alarm Remixed album. it makes me do the robot :drool:

btw i have that whole Bristol show on mp3 if anyone wants it, i could upload or somethin'

Alright, so I'm going to see Bloc Party twice in September. The first will be when they headline Day 2 of the Osheaga Music Festival here in Montreal. On September 29, I'll be traveling down to Toronto to meet some friends and then we're driving down to London to check them out. We got GA so hopefully we'll be as close to the stage as possible.

:rockon: :rockon:

Atomic Bono, you'd be even more of my hero than the last time you uploaded rare tracks! Please do.

Also, archive.org has a bunch of tracks from when they were Union, like Chinese Burn, check it out.

AtomicBono said:
well since my macbook is in for repairs I can't upload the files...

luckily they're already on blog party, that's where I got them in fact :wink:

http://www.blocparty.net/mp3/bootlegs/bristol/

Blog Party is amazing. Look at this picture.

spinner.jpg

so cute!!!

but yeah they have cool downloads there, like for example that's from an acoustic session, so you can download the podcast :up:

wow

those acoustic songs are amazing

Kele :drool: :drool:

thanx :bow:

GibsonGirl said:

this song just hit me

so sad :( :(

Thanks, all I could find were torrents which are no good for me, this is much better!

Back
Top Bottom