Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no just no lol :wink:

Plans >>> any song by Arctic Monkeys

plans :drool: :drool:

plans = 5 minutes of pointless repetitiveness, boring "singing", useless lyrics, an unimaginative guitar solo, with no structure present whatsoever. and those "breaks" during the song (and a couple other bloc party songs i've heard) are totally pointless and arhythmic. actually, "pointless" could describe the entire song pretty well.

on the other hand...
every aspect of this song is entirely more interesting than anything in Plans

YouTube - Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent (Live @ Glastonbury)

the drumming is extremely original, the interplay between the bass, rhythm, and lead guitar is amazingly satisfying (no other band has so much RHYTHM in every instrument/voice), and the vocals are superb, especially at the end when the backing vocals come in. i've never heard another song with the same subject, and few songs tell a story this well. and, finally, the breaks in this song are fantastic, totally emphasize the vocals, and actually add to the song. there's a reason why arctic monkeys are the biggest band in the uk, and there's no reason whatsoever for them to even be compared to bloc party, so i must offer my deepest apologies.

Why don't you just post in an Arctic Monkeys thread? The comparison so far is pointless and completely unnecessary. If you don't like the band, why even post in the thread? I do actually like both bands, but I could also pointlessly name hundreds of bands I think are CONSIDERABLY better than the Arctic Monkeys. Crap, I could go in every thread on the forum and tell everyone that Okkervil River is better than any of the bands they like (including U2), but last I checked, trolling isn't approved of on this forum, so I'm not going to. Plus, I'm not (quite) that big of a douche.

That all said, I VASTLY prefer Bloc Party.

Why don't you just post in an Arctic Monkeys thread? The comparison so far is pointless and completely unnecessary. If you don't like the band, why even post in the thread? I do actually like both bands, but I could also pointlessly name hundreds of bands I think are CONSIDERABLY better than the Arctic Monkeys. Crap, I could go in every thread on the forum and tell everyone that Okkervil River is better than any of the bands they like (including U2), but last I checked, trolling isn't approved of on this forum, so I'm not going to. Plus, I'm not (quite) that big of a douche.

That all said, I VASTLY prefer Bloc Party.

:up::up:

I'm not a douche bad either, so all I'll say is :wink:

bloc party :drool:

Bloc Party is far more superior and leave a much more lasting impression. The difference between both albums is undeniably great and shows just how mature the band really is.

Arctic Monkeys sound has been done before. Enjoyable they may be but to compare them to BC is a great mistake. Given the chance I woud drop anything to see Bloc Party in concert, AC, not so much.

Arctic Monkeys fucking rule. We don't talk about them enough 'round here.

I'll start a thread for them in a few months when news of the new album starts pouring in. :up:

btw Plans is such a beautiful song

I can relate to it in so many ways :heart:

"Wake up dreamer
It's happening without you
Cut your hair and shave your beard
You squandered your chances
I'll give you a thousand pounds
To show me how you do it
Stop being so laissez-faire
We're all scared of the future"

YouTube - Bloc Party - "Plans"

:drool: :drool:

Arctic Monkeys fucking rule. We don't talk about them enough 'round here.

I'll start a thread for them in a few months when news of the new album starts pouring in. :up:

There are numerous threads about them, just do a search. My post came off very negative about Arctic Monkeys, I do enjoy. I even have a t-shirt of theirs, if you can believe such a thing. Can you, GAF? Can you believe such a thing? Can you believe I'd have one of their shirts? Is that something you could believe? Please let me know ASAP, thank you for your assistance.

Also, good to see one of my "real life" friends FINALLY posted on the forum. :up:

There are numerous threads about them, just do a search. My post came off very negative about Arctic Monkeys, I do enjoy. I even have a t-shirt of theirs, if you can believe such a thing. Can you, GAF? Can you believe such a thing? Can you believe I'd have one of their shirts? Is that something you could believe? Please let me know ASAP, thank you for your assistance.

Also, good to see one of my "real life" friends FINALLY posted on the forum. :up:

You're full of shit on 2 counts:

1) You do not own any shirts, let alone an Arctic Monkeys shirt.

2) You have no "real life", and thus, you have no "real life" friends.

Oh, I can believe. I want to believe.

I've seen the Arctics live twice, and one of my friends bought a t-shirt. I, however, NEVER buy t-shirts at concerts. It's just not my style, ya dig? Except on one occasion. I bought one from the Vertigo tour 5-12-05 at the United Center.

U2 :drool:

So I heard 'This Modern Love' on How I Met Your Mother, cos I bought it on DVD.

What a sweet song! I love it, mostly the last minute and a half or so, but it's great. I thought this would be the place to ask have the got much more great stuff?

The lyrics are good, I'm relating at the moment.

I love how Okereke's lyrics are for the everyman, not all cryptic and needlessly poetic. If you like TML, check out the entire Weekend In The City album.....quite stunning, lyrics are incredibly easy to relate to (for me anyway) - check out Sunday, Uniform, Waitin' For the 718, quite incredible.....

Also off the same album as This Modern Love is the gorgeous So Here We Are, the song that got me into B-Party.

and stand-alone singles Flux and Mercury exhibit Bloc to be much more than an indie rock band

Looks like Mercury is finally up on iTunes.

COBL, I personally like Silent Alarm much more than Weekend (as do many, if not most), so you may want to check that out considering it's the actual album the song is from.

Guess what? I like Weekend better. That's right.

But, I really enjoy both. BOTH!

Word.

AWITC isn't as raw and I guess in your face as Silent Alarm, sure its polished but to a nice sheen by Jacknife Lee, but its a complete package of an album, with themes and angry mature lyrics, powerful stuff, by far my favorite release of 2007.

EDIT: Screw it, I'm making a separate thread. It deserves it.

Last edited:
I've never really listened to Bloc Party. What would be a good album to start with?

Or he could buy it as it's wonderful....

that too. I don't mind sharing the love since I've spent plenty of money on Bloc (seen them live three times, bought four albums and a t-shirt). but it's definitely an album worth buying, as it's one of my favourites.

I think I'll get Silent Alarm then. I was a bit confused cos when I downloaded the song, it said 'Silent Alarm' (as the album) and I thought inte said Weekend in the City, which was the one I'd heard of. But whatevs, I'll grab it probably (maybe) tomorrow night, along with Jason Mraz's We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things, which was playing in this chick's car as we went to the footy, and damn it was so damn catchy I'm going to get it and see what happens.

Which will leave me with Quadrophenia, The Bends, Silent Alarm and WSWDWST to get acquainted with before the new U2 album comes out (and I still want to get Kid A, Five Leaves Left and another David Bowie album, not to mention Born in the USA, Darkness on the Edge of Town, and numerous Rolling Stones albums, once they get cheaper).

When, oh when, will I curb this weakness :sad:

Weekend In The City vs Silent Alarm

An argument that will never be resolved I reckon......but I'm almost fundamentally Weekend In The City.

Silent Alarm is more "indie-tastic"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom