Black Sabbath Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
In light of the recent news regarding the reunion, recording a new album and Tony Iommi's lymphoma diagnosis (get well soon!), I'm listening to this magnificent band more than usual. Anyone going to the concerts this year (if they do happen)?

Listening to Master of Reality and it's amazing to hear how much of those Iommi's riffs were recycled later on by other famous bands. Hardly a band in the history of rock and metal that was more influential.

Supernaut has perhaps the best guitar riff of all time.

I was listening to that today and it is easily the most recognizable riff from that album. You can't go wrong with plenty of Sabbath riffs and calling them the best of all time. N.I.B., Black Sabbath (the song), Heaven and Hell, Sweet Leaf (John Frusciante owes a lot to this riff), Lord of This World, Into the Void, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath... That's without even mentioning the Paranoid classics. There's simply too many of them.

the number of hardcore/punk rock bands that admit to owing to sabbath is somewhat staggering as well. i don't deny the influence is there and relatively important, i've just never had much use for the ubiquitous singles and my generally tepid at best opinion regarding them never prompted me to seek out any full albums. which is odd, because i'm sure they totally would have been one of my favorite bands when i was 15 had i not been distracted by other music.

i think i've heard war pigs in its original/more than enough covers that i am all set for life.

I liked them more after listening to their first five records, fwiw. Iron Man is nowhere near my favorite Black Sabbath song, though as far as singles go I do love Paranoid.

So, after the whole Bill Ward fiasco, they did play their first show with a replacement drummer yesterday. Pretty great setlist (taken from the Black Sabbath forum):

‎5-19-12, O2 Arena, Birmingham, England
Into the Void, Under the Sun, Snowblind, War Pigs, Wheels of Confusion, Electric Funeral, Black Sabbath, The Wizard, Behind the Wall of Sleep > Bassically > N.I.B., Fairies Wear Boots, Tomorrow's Dream, Sweet Leaf > Symptom of the Universe (instrumental jam) > Drum Solo > Iron Man, Dirty Women, Children of the Grave
E: Paranoid

Back
Top Bottom