Black Hippy crew - Kendrick, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay Rock - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2015, 01:07 AM   #121
45:33

Local Time: 11:17 AM
his review of All Day is fucking hilarious.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:37 AM   #122
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:17 PM
It's taken him at least an hour to get this up. This video long af.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:22 AM   #123
Blue Crack Distributor

Hahaha, oh shit, Big Q...30 minutes?!

EDIT: NOOO! Youtube already pulled the audio :'(
Old 03-17-2015, 03:52 AM   #124
The Male

Big Quint - To Pimp a Butterfly First Reaction - Video Dailymotion

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:48 AM   #125
The Fly

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Next up jay rock
Old 03-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
if iyup does not listen to this immediately i will kill him
Maybe not immediately but I did get a chance to hear it today. Cobbs, I do get a certain Flying Lotus vibe from much of the production (there's a liquidity to it, for lack of a better term), and the jazz element is super classy. It moves nicely between soul, jazz, and funk - I'm immediately reminded of Miles' On the Corner for several of these tracks.

I would point out Institutionalized, How Much a Dollar, and Blacker the Berry as highlights, but I think my favorite part is the poem/interview at the very end, especially where the pure spoken word bit is gradually surrounded with the jazz band. Really inventive shit there, and moving as well.

Maybe this is premature, but this album reminded me a hell of a lot of Black Messiah, both in subject matter and general vibe. There's a bit of a social evangelism going on in both that is firmly rooted in a sense of African-American consciousness and activism.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 PM   #127
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh it absolutely reminded me of Black Messiah.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #128
The Male

As well as You're Dead. There was definitely a good context for which to release this record.

Now.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Maybe not immediately but I did get a chance to hear it today. Cobbs, I do get a certain Flying Lotus vibe from much of the production (there's a liquidity to it, for lack of a better term), and the jazz element is super classy. It moves nicely between soul, jazz, and funk - I'm immediately reminded of Miles' On the Corner for several of these tracks.

I would point out Institutionalized, How Much a Dollar, and Blacker the Berry as highlights, but I think my favorite part is the poem/interview at the very end, especially where the pure spoken word bit is gradually surrounded with the jazz band. Really inventive shit there, and moving as well.

Maybe this is premature, but this album reminded me a hell of a lot of Black Messiah, both in subject matter and general vibe. There's a bit of a social evangelism going on in both that is firmly rooted in a sense of African-American consciousness and activism.
Yeah I thought Mortal Man would wear thin on mebut the jazzy production that surrounds it really makes it special.

It definitely reminded me of Black Messiah. I thought You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said) in particular could have slotted anywhere on Black Messiah.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #130

I think it's an incredibly exciting time to be a fan of black music at the moment. Many artists all seem to be tuned into that sense of African-American consciousness, as you call it. All these black artists across hip-hop, soul, funk, jazz and everything in between are all aware of the vibe at the moment that was really kickstarted with the death of Mike Brown and the acquittal of Darren Wilson. There's a lot of anger, but I think there's also a lot of pride in being black. Artists are outwardly referencing their blackness in line with movements like #BlackLivesMatter. You had D'Angelo rush his album out with tracks like 1000 Deaths and The Charade, and then that amazing performance on SNL. You've got Killer Mike weeping before a RTJ show, talking about how scared he is for his children. You've got the ultra-blackness of Kanye's All Day, and the (literally) fire performance of that song at the BRIT awards. The Blacker the Berry. Prince at the Grammys.

I'm male, straight, white and middle-class, so I'm in a group of people that is the most privileged the world has ever known, so it's hard for me to empathise a lot of these situations. All I can do is sympathise, but having said that, I can really feel this movement, this increased sense of black consciousness, you can see it in the artists' eyes, hear it in their words, and it's incredibly exciting to watch happen. I think in 50 years time people will be writing about this period in black artistry and I feel so happy to be watching it unfold.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #131
The Male

Yeah I'm losing interest in rock somewhat. At least, it's a relative minority of what I'm listening to lately with so much else going on. Other than Viet Cong, I'm mostly listening to rap, funk, jazz and folk.

Now.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm male, straight, white and middle-class, so I'm in a group of people that is the most privileged the world has ever known, so it's hard for me to empathise a lot of these situations. All I can do is sympathise
I think that's the right attitude. It's presumptuous to pretend we understand, but we can sympathize and admire the artistry. And there is a lot of impressive artistry coming out of that movement at the moment.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #133

Not if you ask RaisedByWolves.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #134
The Male

I wonder how she would react to The Blacker the Berry. Probably would consider it a low point in music history.

Now.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #135

"I mean I get that you might be a little bit frustrated that some of your 'peeps' and 'homies' don't get treated very nicely by the police, but this song isn't going to help, is it? Why don't you try to build a bridge, buy the police some flowers, and sing about that instead? People don't want to hear angry songs."