Black Hippy crew - Kendrick, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it's another winner that's for DAMN sure. Early thoughts are that it never drops off all the way through. And it's very different to anything he's put out so far, as each of his records have been. Tremendous artist. Fuck the perceived 'Golden Age' of hip-hop, we're living in one now too.

This album is fucking phenomenal. I'm very, very happy with it. Humble is kind of a mark on it, but the track does make a little more sense in context.

And yes, XXX is pure heat. Everything about it works perfectly.

Just finished my first listen. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm sure I'll love it after a few more listens. It's way more direct than TPAB and that's a good thing. I love how he mixes it up with each album.

Stand-outs are DNA and especially XXX. Who'd have thought U2 would feature on maybe the best track of the new Kendrick album two weeks ago? :lol:

Trying to come up with a list of top five favorites for this album at this early stage, I discovered that four of them were near the end of the album. Love--->Duckworth is a breathtaking run of songs. That said, Feel is still my favorite overall.

BTW, do sit down and read along with the lyrics of Duckworth. The storytelling in that song is crazy and holy shit Top almost murdered his dad in a robbery.

decided to wait till this morning to listen, my girl came over last night and she's not a big fan so i decided not to force her to listen to it. so she's left for work today and now i've got it on top volume.

just ended DNA - holy shit this is amazing so far. i was worried about a drop-off starting with this album (i mean, they can't *all* be this classic, can they?) but it just seems like he's still somehow getting even better.

i can't see any way how he doesn't end up as the obvious best rapper of all time by the time his career winds up.

Hot damn. FEEL, guys.

I feel like it's just me
Look, I feel like I can't breathe
Look, I feel like I can't sleep
Look, I feel heartless, often off this
Feelin' of fallin', of fallin' apart with
Darkest hours, lost it

The delivery is just incredible.

And then:

Fuck your feelings, I mean this for imposters
I can feel it, the phoenix sure to watch us
I can feel it, the dream is more than process
I can put a regime that forms a Loch Ness
I can feel it, the scream that haunts our logic
I feel like say somethin', I feel like take somethin'
I feel like skatin' off, I feel like waitin' for 'em
Maybe it's too late for 'em
I feel like the whole world want me to pray for 'em
But who the fuck prayin' for me?

Imagine this live.

Probably feeling this is going to end up being my favorite Kendrick album. Not that he's one of my top-tier faves necessarily. But it's all good. This is very good.

this is unreal. start to finish not a single clunker. i really like humble even more in the context of the album.

can you imagine if we get another one of these on sunday?

Interesting take here. Couple points deducted for transcribing one lyric incorrectly as Bono clearly says "This country is to me..." and not "This country is to be...", the latter doesn't even make any sense.

U2’s Spot On The New Kendrick Lamar LP Is Very Un-U2-Like

Nice write up. U2 has ( for about the past 15 years) walked a fine line of being sort of the elder statesmen of rock, and the band that may just surprise you with some new direction.
I am hoping that the JT tour, and their work on this song, will help to plant them in a solid space for SOE. Something we can all be proud of, and the public will be pleasantly surprised about.

* The stretch of Lust - Love - XXX is fucking stellar. For XXX I was wondering how the hell U2 was going to be incorporated up until the moment it happened, but it is done smoothly.

* Humble is a lot better in the context of the album as well. The sequencing is impeccable.

* Who is the MC at the beginning of Fear? Love that guy's voice.

Listening now, just over half way through. Very easy on the ear. FEEL is sublime on first listen and lover BLOOD as an intro and the way the Fox News snippet kicks in and out into the next track

"This country is to be a sound of drum and bass" sounds right to me, though it admittedly makes less sense.

I mean I could be wrong but if Bono wrote the words himself I'm leaning towards "me". The rest of it doesn't imply something in the future to come but present tense.

I think so, Inte. In fact, last night when I was listening to the album for the first time, I wasn't looking at the track listing because I was baking cookies. I did have a funny moment where I ran into the living room to tell Travis, "Fuck youuuuu muthafuckas!" when I finally found out that it was a U2 feature and not a sample, but otherwise, I listened to it uninterrupted.

But the funny thing was, I thought XXX was like three different songs as a result, and oddly enough, when it started, I got sad, because I Thought it *was* a sample...of Numb. And then I was like, "Oh, this isn't the U2 song, never mind." But when I was listening to it tonight, I saw that that song WAS XXX and it's just way longer than I realized, so, my roundabout point is, yeah, I think that's U2 channeling their early 90s selves a bit.

As for the album, I'll say this : I 100% think there's a second half to this thing. It has nothing to do with Easter, necessarily, though there were enough references to Sons and God to make you wonder momentarily.

I don't know if the second album will be out Sunday, but I believe it exists, because this album, to me, feels like it's written from Inferno. We have the seven deadly sins basically written out. Kendrick dies at the beginning, at which point, everything gets very heavy, and the content is pretty vulgar for what you may have come to expect from him at this point. It seems almost like his MBDTF in that regard. There's also a lot of repetition and the album feels rather claustrophobic at times.

But the biggest thing, for me, are the references to The Matrix, the Red Bricks/Blue Bricks thing, and the fact that the album ends with basically one of the alternate endings to the movie Clue.

I don't know where the Damn - Nation thing came from, but unless there's some solid evidence for that name, I'd expect a second album named something more like Salvation, and it will be much airier, philosophical, and pretty.

That's my $0.02.

There was a time when I was 99% sure there was going to be a King of Limbs part 2 so I'm not buying into the hype this time.

Rappers pump out an insanely high amount of content compared with their rock and pop contemporaries but I suspect it's just Complex stans getting a bit overexcited. I'd love to be wrong though.

The production on this thing is stellar, maybe the best I've ever heard on a hip-hop album. Just check out the dexterity of those vocal samples on Duckworth. Goddamn.

Did anyone catch Kendricks Coachella performance last night? I see he debuted XXX, I wonder if any of the U2 part was incorporated into the live version

Back
Top Bottom