Black Hippy crew - Kendrick, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First single from Kendrick's album is shit

But hey, this happened with i and Backseat Freestyle too. Seemed way out there for him and he made them work in context. This is way below his standards in isolation though.

that video is absolutely amazing. i don't think the song is shit at all. not his best single for sure but "shit" seems a little unfair.

between the heart part 4 and this, i have absolutely no idea what kind of sound to expect from the album and that makes me even more excited to hear the rest of it.

I don't think it's all that good, but what the fuck are you talking about saying i and Backseat Freestyle are shit?! Are you insane?

I didn't mean to say they were shit, I meant they weren't received well in isolation but became classics on the album.

i is one of my favorite songs of all time, either version, but he switched it up to make it even better in context.

Last edited:
/r/hiphopheads definitely did not like i when it first came out. the common theme in that thread was that he was falling off already after GKMC. they thought the same about backstreet freestyle apparently as well but in lesser numbers. and they're about as crazy there for kendrick as some of the wackos we have on here are for U2.

this time around the response seems far more measured though.

certainly nobody i saw in the 1800+ comments in the song thread called it shit, which i think is pretty silly. it's growing on me fast, i think it's a lot more lyrically skilled than it seems on first listen (like hood politics was).

I like the song a little more after listening to it on good headphones. That early 00s No Limit-style piano loop is pretty dope with the bass up. It's very 2002. I don't know why people are calling it a trap song.

My biggest problem with it is Kendrick's voice. His delivery is too feeble for a beat like this. Needs to be more authoritative or he gets drowned out. The lyrics are fine, not a high water mark but better than average for rap in 2017. The hook isn't bad.

It's shit for Kendrick, but average/decent in the grand scheme of things. Even so, I'm not worried about the album; there's no guarantee that it will even make the cut. If it does, I'm expecting an extended version with a beat switch where it currently cuts off (think Untitled 7).

Last edited:
Humble's video put up the most views in 24 hours by a male solo artist. It's been out for about 30 hours and is at nearly 10 million views.

This album is going to move some serious units.

HYPE.

I think Humble is ok. It's a good track but definitely not top tier Kendrick.

i'm staying up until past midnight just in case. but i don't really expect anything before midnight pacific time, at least.

If it's not out shortly after midnight PST, that's a bad sign. Personally, if it's not out with the iTunes update, I'm going to start getting nervous. I see no reason for Kendrick to not drop the album with everything else slated for April 7.

I really like Humble. But yeah, there was definitely not a lot of love for i when it first debuted. The version on the album was SO much better.

maxresdefault-5.jpg

:|:|:|:|:|

Apparently the boys are listed as producers/composers on one of the tracks on the album. Waiting to find confirmation as I don't use iTunes, but apparently you can see after you pre-order.

Track 11: K. Duckworth, M. Williams II, D. Natche, M. Spears, Anthony Tiffith, P. Hewson, D. Evans, A. Clayton & L. Mullen

Considering all 4 are listed I'm guessing it's a sample of some sort.

Last edited:
SOMEONE FUCKING ORDER lT SO THAT I CAN SEE IF 3000 IS ON ONE OF THE TRACKS

Composer List from iTunes “Get Info” section after you preorder and click “Show Complete Album”
Track 1: K. Duckworth, D. Tannenbaum & Anthony Tiffith (Top Dawg)
Track 2: K. Duckworth & M. Williams II (Mike Will Made It)
Track 3: K. Duckworth, M. Spears (Sounwave), D. Natche (DJ Dahi) & Anthony Tiffith
Track 4: K. Duckworth, M. Spears, J. Blake (James Blake) & R Riera
Track 5: K. Duckworth & M. Spears
Track 6: K. Duckworth, D. Natche, M. Spears, Anthony Tiffith & T. Martin
Track 7: K. Duckworth, S. Lacy, A. Wise & Anthony Tiffith
Humble: K. Duckworth & M. Williams II
Track 9: K. Duckworth, D. Natche, M. Spears, C. Hansen, A. Sowinski, M Tavares & L. Whitty (BADBADNOTGOOD)
Track 10: K. Duckworth, Z. Pacaldo, T. Walton, M. Spears, G. Kurstin & Anthony Tiffith
Track 11: K. Duckworth, M. Williams II, D. Natche, M. Spears, Anthony Tiffith, P. Hewson, D. Evans, A. Clayton & L. Mullen (U2)
Track 12: K. Duckworth & D. Maman (The Alchemist)
Track 13: K. Duckworth, R Riera, M. Spears, D. Natche, D. Tannenbaum, Anthony Tiffith & R. LaTour (Cardo)
Track 14: K. Duckworth & P. Douthit (9th Wonder)

here ya go bud.

It's 100% going to be a sample of the Mission Impossible theme tho?
:huh: Why would that be?

Unless you're seeing a song title that indicates as such there are two reasons why it wouldn't be that:

1) That song is not originally by U2
2) Only Larry and Adam are credited on that track, IIRC.

Ohh shit!! I didn't see Bono and Edge credited too. Whoops!!!

Still, 99.99999% chance it's a sample - Sufjan was credited on the last album and it was only a sample, not a feature.

Back
Top Bottom