Black Hippy crew - Kendrick, ScHoolboy Q, Ab-Soul, Jay Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Thundercat, who is a terrific artist in his own right. He's on background vocals on 8, too.

good to know that artists are using real instruments. I really didn't get to listen to that many tracks of this album so far but these songs sound pretty amazing.

I'm still enjoying my Tidal trial. That's how I'm listening to the new Kendrick.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

First listen. It's a lot more sketchy than TPAB or GKMC which clearly makes it a collection of b-sides. It is one hell of a collection though. The last track stood out to me most.

This isn't on Google Play it seems. I really need to hear it as quickly as possible.

I did my first listen on Spotify at midnight last night, but I was able to access it on GPM before i went to bed around 1:30. Hopefully you got it figured out by now.

Yeah my first listen was on Spotify but I've found it on Google now as well. I didn't find it under the artist Kendrick Lamar but it was on the New Releases tab. I immediately started my second listen.

First listen. It's a lot more sketchy than TPAB or GKMC which clearly makes it a collection of b-sides. It is one hell of a collection though. The last track stood out to me most.

I disagree, I think the tracks sound very complete and surprisingly polished as a whole. This could definitely pass as an album if it were labeled that way.

CcubLCeUcAADniX.jpg

Egypt Dean is, btw, Swizz Beatz's 5 year old son.

Surprised there's no Sounwave beats on here, a couple times I thought I heard him.

And how the fuck does a 5 year old get a production credit? :huh:

I mean it doesn't quite match up to the live performance, but then, hardly any of the TPAB tracks performed so far even match up to their live performances either. Kendrick might be the only hip-hop artist better live than on record.

I'm disappointed by how soon 3 fades out, that's all. WE DON'T DIE, WE MULTIPLY was amazing live.

It's a shame it's so short, yes. and you're right on the transition between 4 and 5, the only Kendrick transitions that beat it are Hood Politics-How Much a Dollar Cost and Complexion-The Blacker the Berry.

On second listen: first half very good, second half WOWOWOWOWOW

5 actually held up to my absurd hyperbole.

I think some of the praise in here might be a bit overwrought. Kendrick is undoubtedly one of the most vital and experimental voices in music right now, but this thing sounds very much like an outtakes collection. Nothing on it to my ear reaches the heights of several tracks on Butterfly or Good Kid. IMO of course. That said the funk influences suit him well and I hope he explores them further.

Also I do find it humorous that this drops and immediately no one seems to give a damn about Life of Pablo anymore. Seems like cosmic punishment of hubris if you ask me.

I've said my piece. The whole thing sounds great together, Untitled 5 immediately goes on the Kendrick Rushmore. It's a fine work.

Last edited:
I'm actually siding with iYup on this one. It's great, no doubt, but my first listen was a little disappointing after having read all the praise. It can't remotely match TPAB. I'm just gladly taking it as a sort of bonus collection, whether it's an album or demos or whatever.

LET'S...FUCKING GO

Untitled 2 is the first time I've ever seen him play a track twice in a row because he loved it so much.

I actually did a Big Quint style listen for my first go around. I tried sitting down and listening intently, but that lasted about 3 minutes. I was dancing around my apartment by track 2.

I did one of these at the transition between 4 and 5 and felt like running through a wall:

Excited-Louise-Bobs-Burgers.gif

TPAB got the usual subdued headphone listen because 78 minutes is a long time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom