Best of 2010's First Half

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Top 5.
The National - High Violet
Jónsi - Go
Balthazar - Applause
The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
Vampire Weekend - Contra

Top 5:

1. The National - High Violet
2. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
3. Sleigh Bells - Treats
4. Spoon - Transference
5. She & Him - Volume Two

I'm behind on a fair amount of listening I want to do, but my top five albums thus far are:

1. Alcest: Ecailles De Lune
2. Les Discrets: Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
3. Crowded House: Intriguer
4. God Is An Astronaut: Age Of The Fifth Sun
5. Orphaned Land: The Neverending Way of OrWarrior

It's going to take a lot to dislodge Alcest from #1. New Agalloch may do it, if they manage to get an album out this year.

1. Vampire Weekend
2. Vampire Weekend
3. Vampire Weekend

First, their music is flat-out sick. Second, they're Ivy League graduates (first mainstream band ever that can claim this, no?) - I know that in many people's books, such a pedigree for musicians deserves only scorn, but given that they're classically-trained musicians and English majors, the result is some of the BEST orchestral arrangements I've ever heard in rock/pop, and easily some of the best lyrics. And then, on top of everything, they play Afro-pop, AND produce all their own songs! Easily the most "next level" band of the last 20 years. Men among boys, compared to other bands.

Appreciate :drool:

:drool:

Vampire Weekend may be one of the worst bands I've ever had the misfortune of hearing.

If they're men among boys, why was I wearing the singer's sunglasses when I was 6?

Vampire Weekend may be one of the worst bands I've ever had the misfortune of hearing.

If they're men among boys, why was I wearing the singer's sunglasses when I was 6?

Lol. Well, Wayfarers were fashionable in the 50's and 60's, and then again in the 80's, and then again now in the naughts. JFK was probably saying the same thing when you were wearing them as a child... "hey I wore those 20 years ago" :wink:

JFK was probably saying the same thing when you were wearing them as a child... "hey I wore those 20 years ago" :wink:

I think he was actually saying: "I hope that hottie in the miniskirt jumps over me--I'll bet she's not wearing panties."

5148.JPG

1. Vampire Weekend
2. Vampire Weekend
3. Vampire Weekend

First, their music is flat-out sick. Second, they're Ivy League graduates (first mainstream band ever that can claim this, no?) - I know that in many people's books, such a pedigree for musicians deserves only scorn, but given that they're classically-trained musicians and English majors, the result is some of the BEST orchestral arrangements I've ever heard in rock/pop, and easily some of the best lyrics. And then, on top of everything, they play Afro-pop, AND produce all their own songs! Easily the most "next level" band of the last 20 years. Men among boys, compared to other bands.

Appreciate :drool:

:drool:

Afro-Pop? What? No. Produce their own songs? Big fucking wow.

They're overrated. Occasionally catchy songs scattered over two albums, that's it.

The new !!! album is pretty good; and Delays, as usual, made one of my favorite records of the year, if not the favorite.

I don't understand why Vampire Weekend provokes such a violent reaction, honestly. Their music is so flat, derivative and run-of-the-mill that you could very easily react in the same manner (positively or negatively) to any number of bands and it would be more easily justified. It's not even the hype that causes it, necessarily; I could (and often do) say Big Star was the finest pop band of the 1970s, and no one gets on me about that, and obviously the Beatles are another example of a band that gets discussed with a modicum of sanity while still being praised. In contrast, any given moment Vampire Weekend's name pops into a discussion, tempers flare and :drool:s abound. I just don't get it.

i was expecting the best album since Only By The Night or Funhouse when i listened to Contra, and i was bitterly let down.

It hasn't been listed yet so I feel I have to mention Here Lies Love, the David Byrne and Fatboy Slim collaboration. I highly recommend it. :up:
i was going to listen to it, but then i had a look at the tracklisting and decided there was no way i was going to get through it.

Their music is so flat, derivative and run-of-the-mill

My feelings exactly listening to their first album. Didn't even bothered to listen to their second given how much appalled I was by the first experience.

I don't understand why Vampire Weekend provokes such a violent reaction, honestly. Their music is so flat, derivative and run-of-the-mill that you could very easily react in the same manner (positively or negatively) to any number of bands and it would be more easily justified. It's not even the hype that causes it, necessarily; I could (and often do) say Big Star was the finest pop band of the 1970s, and no one gets on me about that, and obviously the Beatles are another example of a band that gets discussed with a modicum of sanity while still being praised. In contrast, any given moment Vampire Weekend's name pops into a discussion, tempers flare and :drool:s abound. I just don't get it.
I know people who legitimately think they're indie fans simply because they listen to Vampire Weekend. This bugs me.

Finally someone else mentions Cosmogramma. Thank you.

You'll also be happy to know that I, along with a friend and another dude—former professor of mine—were fawning over Cosmogramma just the other night at dinner.

Back
Top Bottom