Best Of 2000s Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides Oneblood being so low (I had her list 2nd), this looks fairly close to how I ranked it. Really enjoyed the whole lists, for the most part, and even then, still found a couple of tracks to like on the others.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised by 1blood's placement. Was one of my favorites as well.

*guilt for no submitting on time*

Having somebody rank my list at 1st and another rank it last did make me chuckle. Glad you both enjoyed it. Oh, and Lance, I'm totally blaming you for my low ranking. :wink: (I'm actually somewhat shocked that I wasn't in the bottom two, truth be told.)

In all honesty the only list I'm surprised at the placement of is Phanan's list. It really didn't click with me at all, if it wasn't for the strength of the last five tracks I probabaly would have ranked it bottom. Still congrats to everyone

3. LemonMelon

Total Points: 123

Highest Ranking: 2nd
Lowest Ranking: 8th

bestof00sfront.jpg

As I'm sure was the case with many of you, creating a compilation of my favorite songs of the 2000s held a special significance. The majority of those entering the competition are either in their teens or early/mid twenties, which means that this particular decade probably enlightened them to the underground music scene at large, or perhaps even the mainstream. While creating a compilation from a decade you weren't born in certainly has value, as truly great music is timeless and moves each of us regardless of when we were born, creating a list of songs released during the time in which your tastes matured is an intriguing challenge. There are a thousand ways to attack it, but I elected to simply pick the songs that have been significant to me over the past 5 years or so, as I didn't start listening to more current music until around 2004. So yeah, the track listing is slightly imbalanced; only 7 of these 19 songs were released before then. However, I feel this playlist is an excellent representation of my tastes, and what I consider the most notable songs of the decade. And for all the Mr. Braus out there, yes, I know this is the whitest collection of music imaginable. I made that cover just for you.

Track listing:

1. TV On The Radio - "I Was A Lover" - Return To Cookie Mountain (4:20)
2. Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" - Neon Bible (3:28)
3. Spoon - "Everything Hits At Once" - Girls Can Tell (4:02)
4. Radiohead - "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" - In Rainbows (5:17)
5. Wilco - "Pot Kettle Black" - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (4:00)
6. The National - "Fake Empire" - Boxer (3:24)
7. Sufjan Stevens - "Chicago" - Come On! Feel The Illinoise! (6:05)
8. Beck - "Lost Cause" - Sea Change (3:47)
9. The Shins - "Kissing The Lipless" - Chutes Too Narrow
10. Flight Of The Conchords - "The Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room)" - Flight Of The Conchords (4:00)
11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Soft Shock" - It's Blitz! (3:53)
12. Phoenix - "1901" - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (3:12)
13. U2 - "When I Look At The World" - All That You Can't Leave Behind (4:16)
14. Doves - "Snowden" - Some Cities (4:11)
15. Coldplay - "Strawberry Swing" - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends (4:07)
16. Grizzly Bear - "Two Weeks" - Veckatimest (4:03)
17. Broken Social Scene - "Lover's Spit" - You Forgot It In People (6:22)
18. The Flaming Lips - "Do You Realize??" - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (3:32)
19. Bon Iver - "Skinny Love" - For Emma, Forever Ago (3:55)

Total run time: 79:20

My original response at seeing my ranking was: "Holy shit, who voted me #1 :lmao:"

But then I saw this post

Wow, 9th is higher than I thought I'd finish. I was prepping myself for a finish in dead last. I wonder who ranked me #1?

Also, I'm shocked bono_212's list was so low, I had that as my #1.

I'm fairly pleased with these rankings, though I'm surprised by how low Zoots and John were. Well, John wasn't exactly low, but you get what I mean, I'm sure.

2. phanan

Total Points: 128

Highest Ranking: 1st
Lowest Ranking: 12th

phanan's phavorites

1. Porcupine Tree – “Blackest Eyes” – In Absentia (4:23)
2. Muse – “Hysteria” - Absolution (3:47)
3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – “Berlin” – Baby 81 (3:11)
4. White Stripes – “Fell In Love With A Girl” – White Blood Cells (1:50)
5. Bloc Party – “Helicopter” – Silent Alarm (3:40)
6. Fatboy Slim – “Weapon Of Choice” – Halfway Between The Gutter And The Stars (5:15)
7. Gorillaz – “Feel Good Inc. (Single Version)” – Demon Days (3:28)
8. Outkast – “Ms. Jackson” - Stankonia (4:30)
9. God Is An Astronaut – “Sunrise In Aries” – Far From Refuge (4:21)
10. My Morning Jacket – “Anytime” - Z (3:56)
11. The National – “Mistaken For Strangers” - Boxer (3:31)
12. Coldplay – “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face” – A Rush Of Blood To The Head (4.57)
13. Bruce Springsteen – “How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live” – The Seeger Sessions: We Shall Overcome (American Land Edition) (3:22)
14. Johnny Cash – “Solitary Man” – American III: Solitary Man (2:25)
15. Spoon – “I Summon You” – Gimme Fiction (3.55)
16. The Shins – “Young Pilgrims” – Chutes Too Narrow (2:47)
17. Pure Reason Revolution – “The Exact Colour” – The Dark Third (4.05)
18. U2 – “The Ground Beneath Her Feet” – The Million Dollar Hotel (3.45)
19. Radiohead – “How To Disappear Completely” – Kid A (5:56)
20. Alcest – “Tir Nan Og” - Souvenirs D’un Autre Monde (6:10)

Total Time: 79.14

In all honesty the only list I'm surprised at the placement of is Phanan's list. It really didn't click with me at all, if it wasn't for the strength of the last five tracks I probabaly would have ranked it bottom. Still congrats to everyone

Because of when you submitted your ranking, which was at the end, yours pretty much decided the winner. We were neck and neck up to that point.

1. LMP

Total Points: 133

Highest Ranking: 1st
Lowest Ranking: 7th

LMP's End of the Decade DI Spectacular

Side One (41:30)
1. Arcade Fire - "Wake Up" - Funeral (5:35)
2. Animal Collective - "Summertime Clothes" - Merriweather Post Pavilion (4:32)
3. Radiohead - "Idioteque" - Kid A (5:08)
4. Kanye West - "Flashing Lights (ft. Dwele)" - Graduation (3:58)
5. TV on the Radio - "Wolf Like Me (ft. Katrina Ford + rock on)" - Return to Cookie Fountain (5:08)
6. U2 - "When I Look at the World" - All That You Can't Leave Behind (4:20)
7. Broken Social Scene - "7/4 (Shoreline)" - Broken Social Scene (4:53)
8. Johnny Cash - "The Man Comes Around" - American IV: The Man Comes Around (4:27)
9. The Flaming Lips - "Do You Realize??" - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (3:33)

Side Two (38:02)
10. Explosions in the Sky - "The Birth and Death of the Day" - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (7:50)
11. Smashing Pumpkins - "Stand Inside Your Love" - Machina: The Machines of God (4:12)
12. Sonic Youth - "Unmade Bed" - Sonic Nurse (3:54)
13. The National - "All the Wine" - Alligator (3:15)
14. The Shins - "New Slang" - Oh, Inverted World (3:51)
15. Beck - "Paper Tiger" - Sea Change (4:36)
16. Sigur Rós - "Hoppípolla" - Takk... (4:29)
17. Muse - "Knights of Cydonia" - Black Holes and Revelations (6:01)

Total time: 1:19:32

Considering I had Phanan and YLB listed as #1 and #2, respectively, this couldn't have gone much better than it did. :up:

What a little bastard. I would have ranked him last.

DEAD LAST.

But that's just because I hate him.

TOP FIVES

Note: I'll include AtomicBono and Lance for this, but they weren't included in the point totals.

Axver
1. phanan
2. AtomicBono
3. Irishteen
4. Zoots
5. Screwtape2

bono_212
1. Irishteen
2. LemonMelon
3. Zoots
4. phanan
5. LMP

GirlsAloudFan
1. Zoots
2. LMP
3. LemonMelon
4. Lancemc
5. phanan

Imperor
1. onebloodonelife
2. Jive Turkey
3. LMP
4. Lancemc
5. phanan

Irishteen
1. LMP
2. Jive Turkey
3. LemonMelon
4. Lancemc
5. phillyfan26

Jive Turkey
1. phillyfan26
2. LMP
3. phanan
4. LemonMelon
5. Lancemc

LemonMelon
1. phanan
2. LMP
3. Lancemc
4. phillyfan26
5. Jive Turkey

LMP
1. phillyfan26
2. onebloodonelife
3. Lancemc
4. LemonMelon
5. Imperor

namkcuR
1. bono_212
2. phillyfan26
3. Zoots
4. phanan
5. Screwtape2

onebloodonelife
1. LMP
2. LemonMelon
3. phillyfan26
4. Imperor
5. Irishteen

phanan
1. Irishteen
2. phillyfan26
3. Axver
4. Zoots
5. LMP

phillyfan26
1. LMP
2. LemonMelon
3. Lancemc
4. Jive Turkey
5. Imperor

Screwtape2
1. phanan
2. onebloodonelife
3. Irishteen
4. Axver
5. LemonMelon

Zoots
1. namckuR
2. bono_212
3. phanan
4. Irishteen
5. Screwtape2

I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on how this edition went. What they liked, what they would change, was it better than the old method, etc. Should make for an interesting DI7, whenever that is.

My immediate reaction is that this worked pretty well, though the results were of course quite sudden. While I'd miss the tournament aspect to it, I have to admit that this was a nice little twist, especially with a results thread, it always feels like DI ends a little anti-climatically.

I have to confess that I'm very surprised my playlist made it into three people's top 5. I was honestly convinced after making it that everyone would hate it! :lol:

:lol: Same here. I have to say I'm glad to see that the top 5's my list made it into were all high placements though.

phanan, I liked this rankings system quite a bit. It was nice that it allowed for flexibility, both when we were deciding how many participants would be playing and when some rankings weren't in on time. Plus, this way, everybody's vote is made clear, whereas with the tournament style, I know I forgot to vote on multiple occasions, which is my own fault, of course, but rankings make it pretty cut and dry.

I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on how this edition went. What they liked, what they would change, was it better than the old method, etc. Should make for an interesting DI7, whenever that is.

I think I prefer this method as I agree with Ashley about how DI's of the past have sometimes been a bit anti-climatic. Everyone was still invested this time. I guess the only thought for next time would be some kind of comments on each playlist as their ranking is revealed. That might be fun. :up:

I like this method for two reasons:

1. You're guaranteed voting without drop-offs.

2. Because you don't need to go through a long process of voting, you can give more time for people to listen without making DI as a whole any longer.

2. Because you don't need to go through a long process of voting, you can give more time for people to listen without making DI as a whole any longer.

The one problem I have with the system (or at least the way it was implemented this time out) is that I know for a fact that not everyone managed to finish all of the lists. 15 CD-length lists. When the length of the lists is doubled and 4-8 more are added, I can't imagine this ending well. While ranking is purer and more ideal, it's going to get muddled (I would argue more so than with a head-to-head format) if no one can finish the lists. Basically, we're looking at a month of listening, or this isn't going to work. If you guys can handle that great of a gap, I'm on board.

Glad you guys liked mine. This is the first mini-tourney since the Symphonic one that I feel satisfied with doing.

The one problem I have with the system (or at least the way it was implemented this time out) is that I know for a fact that not everyone managed to finish all of the lists. 15 CD-length lists. When the length of the lists is doubled and 4-8 more are added, I can't imagine this ending well. While ranking is purer and more ideal, it's going to get muddled (I would argue more so than with a head-to-head format) if no one can finish the lists. Basically, we're looking at a month of listening, or this isn't going to work. If you guys can handle that great of a gap, I'm on board.

I agree with this... I don't know. I stopped doing written reactions because I was listening to so many on-the-go as opposed to on my computer with the time to type stuff up.

If we keep this style for a future DI, I'd recommend staggering the lists out. Maybe sending 4 out at-a-time, makes it easier to focus on listening to something. There's still a sense of urgency to listen to the list, but it still allows for flexibility.

The only problem I have with DI is that the same core group of people participate every time, and people looking in feel less inclined to either join themselves or at least listen. I know what Axver thinks about something, as well as Pfan, so it's no surprise, works both ways, at least.

I've flirted with the idea of doing DI7 after saying that the 6th would be my last, just because I dig making playlists and sending them out to people. Since that's the case, I may end up making a list and sharing it outright, but let someone else take my spot for DI. I don't know, I'm overthinking this shit.

Hey all, so sorry I disappeared. My life outside of the internet got ridiculously hectic and I just didn't have time to listen to all these :( I enjoyed all the ones I did listen to though and I wish I could have heard them all... I might listen to them later in my leisure, just because

my top 5 (out of the 7 i listened to lol) were

Irishteen
LMP
Axver
phanan
LemonMelon

I'm surprised I placed so high on Axver's list...thanks man :up:

As an outsider of the tournament: the only problem I have with this method is, what if a player is not listed in anyone's Top 5. Their feelings could get really hurt. One person will always be listed in at least 3 or 4 list of people's Top 5. The person who wasn't in any Top 5 will want affirmation that at least someone enjoyed their playlist. If we continue this route, we must at least make sure every person on this tournament gets one positive comment on their playlist. But we are good at this, so just keep it up!

By the way, I really enjoyed the playlists this time around. They are so different and unique in their own ways.

Back
Top Bottom