Best Of 2000s - Desert Island Spinoff Tournament IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding the playlists themselves, I think for this specific edition, the emphasis should be on the songs, because we are looking for what you think really are the best ones from the decade. If they go together well and everything, that's a bonus, but I wouldn't be too concerned about how it is structured and sequenced. That's more for regular DI.

^ :lol:

I'm done. It's 50 seconds over the limit. I could easily bring it back within the limit by just replacing one song. But I really don't want to because it would require replacing the best song on the album by one that is good but not the best. Phanan, wot say?

Regarding the playlists themselves, I think for this specific edition, the emphasis should be on the songs, because we are looking for what you think really are the best ones from the decade. If they go together well and everything, that's a bonus, but I wouldn't be too concerned about how it is structured and sequenced. That's more for regular DI.

Hmm. This was not really my approach at all, but oh well. I ended up picking songs that fit well together from what I think are the best artists/albums of the decade. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what everybody's come up with, especially if we're going to be coming at it from a lot of different angles.

Hmm. This was not really my approach at all, but oh well. I ended up picking songs that fit well together from what I think are the best artists/albums of the decade. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what everybody's come up with, especially if we're going to be coming at it from a lot of different angles.

My first list is like that and I felt it helped a lot. I mean at first I had a 3 hour list but then I narrowed it down by picking songs that would go well together in my opinion. Except for several songs that have to be there regardless

^ :lol:

I'm done. It's 50 seconds over the limit. I could easily bring it back within the limit by just replacing one song. But I really don't want to because it would require replacing the best song on the album by one that is good but not the best. Phanan, wot say?

Gonna have to get it under 80 minutes Zoots, just so everyone has the same parameters to work with.

You will lose.

10-pithiest-movie-put-downs-00-371-75.jpg

Gonna have to get it under 80 minutes Zoots, just so everyone has the same parameters to work with.

Okay, sounds good.

As for my list, I started out like this:

I ended up picking songs that fit well together from what I think are the best artists/albums of the decade.

And ended up changing it to:

the emphasis should be on the songs, because we are looking for what you think really are the best ones from the decade. If they go together well and everything, that's a bonus, but I wouldn't be too concerned about how it is structured and sequenced. That's more for regular DI.

And I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied that I included more of my favourite songs of the decade and also somewhat ensured that at least the flow from one song to the other is not jarring, even if it is not the greatest transition. You try to have your cake and eat it too. ;)

My first list is like that and I felt it helped a lot. I mean at first I had a 3 hour list but then I narrowed it down by picking songs that would go well together in my opinion. Except for several songs that have to be there regardless

Yeah, that's exactly how mine started out too.

That's fine. In the end, it's really however you want it to be.

Obviously. I really am looking forward to seeing how everybody took on the massive task though.

You will lose.

:lol:

Probably. I was coming into it expecting such a thing to happen.

Well if I should be going with the best possible songs I can, I'm going to need to switch this up. My current list can be my director's cut. No one is going to appreciate "Treefingers" as the first track anyway.

It works perfectly with the second song, for what it's worth. Sets the tone quite well. But I'm using a lot of instrumental interludes, some as long as "Treefingers" and some as long as 35 seconds.

The big problem now is that there is such a deliberate tempo to my list, so the four people who listen to it probably will turn it off.

Well if I should be going with the best possible songs I can, I'm going to need to switch this up. My current list can be my director's cut. No one is going to appreciate "Treefingers" as the first track anyway.

Noooooooo. Seriously, don't. If you're going with the same tone we were discussing, it's perfect.

Yeah, that's exactly how mine started out too.

Obviously. I really am looking forward to seeing how everybody took on the massive task though.

:lol:

Probably. I was coming into it expecting such a thing to happen.

There will be too much rap/hip-hop on there and you'll regret it because you lack the appropriate atmosphere.

Don't conform, honky.

It works perfectly with the second song, for what it's worth. Sets the tone quite well. But I'm using a lot of instrumental interludes, some as long as "Treefingers" and some as long as 35 seconds.

The big problem now is that there is such a deliberate tempo to my list, so the four people who listen to it probably will turn it off.

I will step on my iPod afterward if that makes you feel any better.

There will be too much rap/hip-hop on there and you'll regret it because you lack the appropriate atmosphere.

I actually limited myself to just a few hip-hop tracks. But, it's probably still too much.

I actually limited myself to just a few hip-hop tracks. But, it's probably still too much.

I think the only one that made my list was "Flashing Lights," but I may add another one in before I submit.

Imma let you finish, but "Flashing Lights" is one of the greatest songs of all-time. OF ALL-TIME.

kanye-west-balmain-jeans-JT5.jpg

"Flashing Lights" is one of the greatest songs of all-time. OF ALL-TIME.

kanye-west-balmain-jeans-JT5.jpg

Only if you're a musical savant like Kanye.

I counted four or five hip-hop tracks, depending on how one classifies Why? and Girl Talk.

Only if you're a musical savant like Kanye.

I counted four or five hip-hop tracks, depending on how one classifies Why? and Girl Talk.

I'd say Girl Talk falls more into the realm of a mash-up/remix artist instead of some general classification, and Why? can vary from track-to-track.

I'd say Girl Talk falls more into the realm of a mash-up/remix artist instead of some general classification, and Why? can vary from track-to-track.

This is a good point. The Why? track happens to be one of the more rap-oriented ones, though it does feature xylophones prominently, but yeah, more of a hip-hop track either way.

Sweet. Why? is a band that I've been meaning to get into more anyway.

They're playing a free show at my school in a couple weeks. I'm hittin' that up for sure.

Okay, I have two tracks on here that I reckon most people won't like at all... should I switch them out? They are some of my favourite songs of the decade and I wanted to represent somewhat of a variety which would include some heavier screamo/hardcore stuff ...

Okay, I have two tracks on here that I reckon most people won't like at all... should I switch them out? They are some of my favourite songs of the decade and I wanted to represent somewhat of a variety which would include some heavier screamo/hardcore stuff ...

You should keep them, I think. The more different it'll be the norm as far as the audience here goes, the better. After all, a big part of this is about exposing people to new music, ain't it?

They're playing a free show at my school in a couple weeks. I'm hittin' that up for sure.

Sweet. I'm seeing them next week. Hopefully your school won't riot like mine did last spring in the aftermath of a no-show free concert.

I agree with Sad Punk, leave them in. I always look forward to your lists because there's something I've never heard before on them.

You should keep them, I think. The more different it'll be the norm as far as the audience here goes, the better. After all, a big part of this is about exposing people to new music, ain't it?

Yeah, this. The original reason Liam and I even brought DI to Interference was to be exposed to new music we wouldn't have ordinarily heard. I feel like sometimes people have been a bit too closed off to that, judging songs before they're heard, but the more we can try to eliminate those attitudes, the better. I'm putting black metal in my list, unless I radically change things.

Back
Top Bottom