Best Of 2000s - Desert Island Spinoff Tournament IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I have two tracks on here that I reckon most people won't like at all... should I switch them out? They are some of my favourite songs of the decade and I wanted to represent somewhat of a variety which would include some heavier screamo/hardcore stuff ...

Keep it in. You seem to have a good instinct toward what works and what doesn't work in a list, so why stray from that?

Sweet. I'm seeing them next week. Hopefully your school won't riot like mine did last spring in the aftermath of a no-show free concert.

A hipster riot would be the funniest thing I've ever seen. Burnt cardigan sweaters will be the trophies of the day.

Yeah, this. The original reason Liam and I even brought DI to Interference was to be exposed to new music we wouldn't have ordinarily heard. I feel like sometimes people have been a bit too closed off to that, judging songs before they're heard, but the more we can try to eliminate those attitudes, the better. I'm putting black metal in my list, unless I radically change things.

Awesome, I look forward to it. My friend/bandmate's big into black metal and he does that vocal style on a lot of our songs.

thanks for the advice everyone - glad you all are open minded :) I'll give my list another listen sometime today and if I'm satisfied then I'll upload and send ASAP :up:

I'll take a wait and see approach on that. You're correct in that most of us will probably have the songs from each list, but there will still be some missing, so...haven't decided yet.

I'll take a wait and see approach on that. You're correct in that most of us will probably have the songs from each list, but there will still be some missing, so...haven't decided yet.

:hmm: Maybe a simpler approach would be to just let people ask for whatever shit they don't have?

Thanks. Actually originally I had the whole playlist in ascending chronological order! The first few songs worked out that way, so I tried to make the whole list like that but the flow didn't quite work towards the end. So I had to reshuffle. Anyway I still managed to represent every year.

I'm pretty proud of this playlist. I think it's probably the most POPtastic playlist in DI history. And, unless Screwtape has done it before, I think it's the first DI entry to feature only female vocalists. I've also represented each year of the decade here. I hope it's a fun listen for you guys. Somethin a little different. No matter what, I know Axver will love it.

MODERN GIRLS

1. Be Your Own Pet - "Bunk Trunk Skunk" - Be Your Own Pet - 2006 - (1:33)
2. Girls Aloud - "Biology" - Chemistry - 2005 - (3:37)
3. Carrie Underwood - "Before He Cheats" - Some Hearts - 2005 - (3:20)
4. Britney Spears - "Womanizer" - Circus - 2009 - (3:44)
5. Sugababes - "Push the Button" - Taller In More Ways - 2005 - (3:39)
6. Cansei de ser Sexy - "Music Is My Hot Hot Sex" - Cansei de ser Sexy - 2006 - (3:07)
7. Miley Cyrus - "See You Again" - Meet Miley Cyrus - 2007 - (3:11)
8. Kylie Minogue - "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" - Fever - 2001 - (3:51)
9. Annie - "Heartbeat" - Anniemal - 2004 - (3:06)
10. Lily Allen - "Smile" - Alright, Still - 2006 - (3:16)
11. Aly & AJ - "Potential Breakup Song" - Insomniatic - 2007 - (3:40)
12. PJ Harvey - "One Line" - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea - 2000 - (3:14)
13. Avril Lavigne - "I'm With You" - Let Go - 2002 - (3:44)
14. Michelle Branch - "All You Wanted" - The Spirit Room - 2001 - (3:37)
15. Sleater-Kinney - "Modern Girl" - The Woods - 2005 - (3:02)
16. Rilo Kiley - "Portions For Foxes" - More Adventurous - 2004 - (4:45)
17. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Maps" - Fever To Tell - 2003 - (3:40)
18. Taylor Swift - "Change" - Fearless - 2008 - (4:40)

Total Runtime: 62 minutes 46 seconds

I will upload the songs soon and send 'em over to Phanan.

Hey Phanan, is there any way that I or anyone else can see the playlists already submitted? I'm going to be on the road for four to five hours this weekend and it would be a great time to listen to playlists. :up:

I'm pretty proud of this playlist. I think it's probably the most POPtastic playlist in DI history. And, unless Screwtape has done it before, I think it's the first DI entry to feature only female vocalists.

Nope, you're the first. It has been an exceptional decade for female vocalists so it's cool that you went that direction. :up:

Is there any room left in this? I was out of town and not on Interference when this thread was started and I missed the initial sign-up period.

:hmm: Maybe a simpler approach would be to just let people ask for whatever shit they don't have?

Maybe. I'll determine after I have all the lists.

I'd rather have links from everybody, even if I do have a lot of the songs. It's easier, since they're all in one place then. You can always delete the ones you already have anyway.

GAF's playlist is probably the biggest moment of love and hate at first sight I've ever had :lol:

But on second sight the track selections are actually pretty good, could make an interesting listen

Except The Loving Kind > Biology :wink:

Dilemma. I've just recently discovered this completely amazing song. It's gorgeous and people here would probably like it, but it's 7 minutes long ... gonna have to decide if it's worth getting rid of other songs for. Also having trouble deciding which Porcupine Tree song to use :p

GAF, I look forward to your list, as it'll definitely be something different for me. I very rarely listen to female vocalists.

This is hard :sad:

My dilemma is this. I'm a bit bipolar when it comes to music. I think my favourite music is sad bastard music that you sit and listen to with the lights off in the winter time. But there are so many upbeat songs from this decade that I also love. Do I make a sad bastard mix? A happy go lucky mix? Do I go the Pop route and start off with a party then get ugly? I'm sure I could make a full playlist that you can cut yourself to, but I think it should be more balanced...what to do, what to do

oh, I have a questions. Theres a certain song that I dont like the studio version of, but LOVE the live version. They are quite different. Do live versions count?

usually the rule regarding live tracks is if it's commercially available that's okay. anything without an official release of some sort isn't allowed, though.

Cool, that's kind of what I figured and made sure to use one from a commercial release.

This is hard :sad:

My dilemma is this. I'm a bit bipolar when it comes to music. I think my favourite music is sad bastard music that you sit and listen to with the lights off in the winter time. But there are so many upbeat songs from this decade that I also love. Do I make a sad bastard mix? A happy go lucky mix? Do I go the Pop route and start off with a party then get ugly? I'm sure I could make a full playlist that you can cut yourself to, but I think it should be more balanced...what to do, what to do

Pop route ftw!

I tried to have a variety in mine ... it starts off aggressive and moves to more atmospheric and pretty stuff, then gets a little more upbeat again, then kind of sad and gorgeous at the end. I think it works, actually, though i'll probably give it at least one more listen before submitting.

but yeah, it's up to you, but I think you should try to represent your entire spectrum of taste as opposed to focusing on one mood. It's the best of the decade after all.

Pop route ftw!

I tried to have a variety in mine ... it starts off aggressive and moves to more atmospheric and pretty stuff, then gets a little more upbeat again, then kind of sad and gorgeous at the end. I think it works, actually, though i'll probably give it at least one more listen before submitting.

but yeah, it's up to you, but I think you should try to represent your entire spectrum of taste as opposed to focusing on one mood. It's the best of the decade after all.

This was sort of my philosophy as well; I tried to have a good mix of moods and my tastes. Well, as much as I could fit into 80 minutes. :wink:

I tried to gauge what everybody else would like, regardless of my own taste, for the sake of winning an online music competition. This shit does get real.

I tried to gauge what everybody else would like, regardless of my own taste, for the sake of winning an online music competition. This shit does get real.

Because after all, the internet is serious business.

Oh yeah. I'm doing everything I can to get into a good grad school ... I think winning a playlist competition on a U2 fansite would really set my application apart. That's why I just picked songs that were on Interference's top album list or whatever.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom