Best long-distance driving albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Joshua Tree

A.A. Bondy- American Hearts
Deer Tick- War Elephant
Johnny Cash- any one of his records
Tom Waits- any one of his records
Patti Griffin- any one of her records
Lucinda Williams- any one her records

What about best drunk driving album?

In my experience, the answer just absolutely has to be Appetite For Destruction. With Nightrain probably being the best drunk driving song ever.

What about best drunk driving album?

In my experience, the answer just absolutely has to be Appetite For Destruction. With Nightrain probably being the best drunk driving song ever.

Good choice. I actually tend to blast THE COCK!! a lot, they just give me the passion and determination to get it done. They put me in the zone.

In Los Angeles, you really have no choice but to learn the ropes of impaired vehicular operation. No way around it.

On my early summer drive from Flagstaff to Ft. Worth, Explosions in the Sky came on my iPod right as I hit the Texas border in the midst of a lightning storm at 2 AM.

It was unbelievable. One of the coolest moments ever.

On my early summer drive from Flagstaff to Ft. Worth, Explosions in the Sky came on my iPod right as I hit the Texas border in the midst of a lightning storm at 2 AM.

It was unbelievable. One of the coolest moments ever.

That sounds awesome.

Electric Co. was playing as I drove through West Texas after a very wet spring. The morning was foggy and sunny and the hills were rolling. Between the sun and fog, the sky and the air were golden, and the hills made it seem like I was driving over the edge of the earth. :)

Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Unforgettable Fire.

My boyfriend and I drove from Chicago to San Diego, CA listening to U2 and U2 only. A bit crazy, yeah, but the music is bomb on the road. :)

I like electronic or post-rock for that sorta thing. You don't need to focus on lyrics, and can just get sucked into the sound and imagery, makes for some beautiful driving moments.

For. Sure.

This isn't funny.

Not at all.

I wasn't joking.

I know 7-8 people here who have DUIs on their driving records. Before I came to California, I think I knew one person in another state who had one.

Yeah, ideally you have a designated driver. Realistically? Doesn't happen too often. I have one friend who is sober and she can't fit everyone in her car. No one else is interested in not drinking and taking one for the team.

:shrug:

No one else is interested in not drinking and taking one for the team.

I understand all this, and I'm glad you weren't joking. But the next time one of these assholes hits my niece and wrecks her car, he'll be lucky if the family doesn't fucking kill him this time.

So it's too fucking bad that they're not interested in driving sober. Hopefully they'll only kill themselves.

A colleague's brother was killed this year in a head on collision on the LA freeway by a drunk driver who managed to merge onto the freeway going the wrong way. You may have heard about it - he was a cop, it was well-publicized.

Drunk driving in the state of NM is out of control. A few weeks ago there was a horrible incident involving three cars, two of them filled with teenagers and the third with the drunk driver. The teenagers were not at fault. Two car loads of teenagers all died but one, the drunk driver was not injured. Practically half the town had a connection to one of the teenagers (I did not).

What always amazes me in this state is that the drunk driver at fault always seems to have like 16 previous DUI's.

Alright, back to music.

I wasn't joking.

I know 7-8 people here who have DUIs on their driving records. Before I came to California, I think I knew one person in another state who had one.

Yeah, ideally you have a designated driver. Realistically? Doesn't happen too often. I have one friend who is sober and she can't fit everyone in her car. No one else is interested in not drinking and taking one for the team.

Dude, I don't know...I lived in LA for 10 years and lord knows that I had a lot of fun out there my first 5 years or so....and I didn't drive drunk once, nor did my friends.

You figure it out, you sleep at someone's place, you fit too many in the back seat...you take out your cell phone and call a fucking cab.....you don't drive drunk as an adult.

ETA - that sounds preachy, and I don't want to sound that way cos you're a friend, at least as internet forums go, but, it's just a big topic with me.

/non-music talk

Electric Co. was playing as I drove through West Texas after a very wet spring. The morning was foggy and sunny and the hills were rolling. Between the sun and fog, the sky and the air were golden, and the hills made it seem like I was driving over the edge of the earth. :)

West Texas isn't good for a whole lot other than fine musical drives. Good lyrics for a morning drive, too:

Boy, shuttling boy
Go on hit the showers
Till you've the power to

Serve, blazing serve
Clout clout
You'll win your bout

Dude, I don't know...I lived in LA for 10 years and lord knows that I had a lot of fun out there my first 5 years or so....and I didn't drive drunk once, nor did my friends.

You figure it out, you sleep at someone's place, you fit too many in the back seat...you take out your cell phone and call a fucking cab.....you don't drive drunk as an adult.

ETA - that sounds preachy, and I don't want to sound that way cos you're a friend, at least as internet forums go, but, it's just a big topic with me.

/non-music talk

Well, you have more responsible friends than I do. And most of them are 25 or younger.

Luckily, we tend to stick around the neighborhood and are usually only a few minutes away. No way in hell I'd actually get on the freeway if I or another driver was inebriated.

Impy, Martha:

This is not a driving story, and I think I told this one before, but:

One of my fondest musical travel memories was coming back from my first ever business trip. Was so nervous before it, and it went really well, and on the flight back I could just relax and all.....had my CD player and was listening to the Joshua Tree for the first time in a long time, and we were flying at night, over a Thunderstorm....and the clouds would all light up from time to time, and it was one of the most awesome but lovely things I've ever seen...all while listening to my favorite album.

:reject:

Back
Top Bottom