Best/Favorite Music of 2009 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's SPIN Magazine's best albums of 2009 list....and it's surprisingly decent:

40 Kiss - Sonic Boom
39 Wilco - Wilco (Wilco The Album
38 Rick Ross - Deeper Than Rap
37 Gallows - Grey Britain
36 Brakesbrakesbrakes - Touchdown
35 Miike Snow - Miike Snow
34 Mariachi El Bronx - Mariachi El Bronx
33 The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You
32 U2 - No Line On The Horizon
31 Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
30 Julian Casablancas - Phrazes For The Young
29 Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
28 The Flaming Lips - Embryonic
27 Jarvis Cocker - Further Complications
26 The Mountain Goats - The Life Of The World To Come
25 The Big Pink - A Brief History Of Love
24 Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg
23 St. Vincent - Actor
22 Tegan And Sara - Sainthood
21 Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. II
20 Paramore - Brand New Eyes
19 Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
18 Antony And The Johnsons - The Crying Light
17 Mastodon - Crack The Skye
16 Japandroids - Post-Nothing
15 Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
14 Amadou & Mariam - Welcome To Mali
13 Jay Reatard - Watch Me Fall
12 Ida Maria - Fortress Round My Heart
11 Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson - Summer Of Fear
10 The Dead Weather - Horehound
09 Drake - So Far Gone
08 Florence And The Machine - Lungs
07 Mos Def - The Ecstatic
06 Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
05 Girls - Album
04 Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
03 Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
02 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
01 Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

The 20 releases that I gained the most enjoyment out of in 2009 (In alphabetical order. I will rank them later if we're doing a point total thing like we did last year???):

Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You
Julian Casablancas - Phrazes For The Young
Cheryl Cole - 3 Words
The Dead Weather - Horehound
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
Peter Doherty - Grace/Wastelands
Bob Dylan - Together Through Life
Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
Miranda Lambert - Revolution
Little Boots - Hands
Nickel Eye - Time Of The Assassins
Jemina Pearl - Break It Up
Pearl Jam - Backspacer
Bruce Springsteen - Working On A Dream
U2 - No Line On The Horizon
Wilco - Wilco (The Album)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

It's that time of the year again. Please feel free to post best of threads from around the net, music publications, or your very own arbitrary list.

I'll be first with the links, click here to see Popmatters' various best of 2009 lists:
PopMatters Picks: The Best Music of 2009 | PopMatters

PS: GFY

Why must these sites bog down pages with images and youtube links :scream:. I have a decent internet connection and this thing is way too laggy to go through.

Uh, anyways. I've been pretty much dying to post a top 20 list all year, so, might as well, though it's not set in stone yet (waiting for the end of the year point distributions thingie for that)

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The Horrors- Primary Colours
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Metric - Fantasies
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Passion Pit - Manners
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]fun. - Aim and Ignite
6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]U2 – No Line on the Horizon
7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pure Reason Revolution - Amor Vincit Omnia
8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Hockey – Mind Chaos
9.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King
10.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
11.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Super Furry Animals - Dark Days/Light Years
12.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
13.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Muse - Resistance
14.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Royksopp – Junior
15.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The Mountain Goats – The Life of the World to Come
16.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Antlers - Hospice
17.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Franz Ferdinand - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
18.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Antony & The Johnsons - The Crying Light
19.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
20.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]We Were Promised Jetpacks – These Four Walls

I'm refraining from making a list for a couple of weeks because I need to acquire a few more albums and listen to them based on what everyone seems to be digging.

I'm refraining from making a list for a couple of weeks because I need to acquire a few more albums and listen to them based on what everyone seems to be digging.

I usually buy a large amount of albums in Late December / Early January from year end lists. Fun time of the year to catch up on things you either missed or never got around to checking out.

I usually buy a large amount of albums in Late December / Early January from year end lists. Fun time of the year to catch up on things you either missed or never got around to checking out.

That's true, I'm already remembering that I meant to check out that Girls album a while ago, but it's kind of been a hard find.

I just happening to be listening to that right this very second.

:dancing:

That is scary awesome lol.

I'm currently listening to the rest of my "To Be Listened to" list (though it just got longer thanks to Spin). El Perro Del Mar, something I randomly caught in a Spin review, and, actually, quite glad I did.

My favorite thread of the year.

I'm a sucker for year end lists, and I always discover some good new albums/music that I missed during the year...

Carry on.

I wish I would've listened to more new music this year. I've been too busy trying to get my music library on my computer into a lossless format and listening to everything to make sure there were no problems upon import. :sigh: Maybe I'll read this thread and pick through everyone's favourites for listens.

I love these lists as well, and there's been a lot of great music this year. I'll try to post something toward the end of the month, but I'd like to put a plug in for The Swell Season's new album, Strict Joy. And Summertime Clothes by Animal Collective is one of the best new tunes I've heard this year.

Truth. In the last two/three weeks, I have listened to over 100 records. Grueling, but rewarding.

Fun time of the year to catch up on things you either missed or never got around to checking out.

Yep! I'm relying on best-of lists to alert me to things I might have missed throughout the year.

I'll start thinking on my own list.

Yeah, that'd be painful for me. I had a weird year for music, as I finally feel like years of overloading myself caught up with me, and everything kinda blended together and few things really stood out above the rest. Sort of a frustrating year musically that way for me personally, I'd get so excited to hear something that was being raved about, and then uber-disappointed when I didn't care for it as much as I'd hoped and assumed I would.

I can gorge myself on music or films or TV, but, not to that extreme. I'm not....discerning enough, maybe......to listen to that sort of bulk over that short a period of time and be able to render an accurate opinion. Awesome that Shouter can, though.

I don't think I'll do again what I did this year, that is, I've heard 84 albums (so far) from this year alone, and, while that in and of itself isn't so bad, I've been kind of meticulous about ranking them, and it's made the whole process too calculated. So, while I will probably listen to just as many next year, no more ranking.

I don't think I'll do again what I did this year, that is, I've heard 84 albums (so far) from this year alone, and, while that in and of itself isn't so bad, I've been kind of meticulous about ranking them, and it's made the whole process too calculated. So, while I will probably listen to just as many next year, no more ranking.

I approve this plan. My approval means whatever's slightly above "nothing", but still.

I think looking back at the year and ranking 10 or 20 is cool, but ranking them as you go is, as you say, kinda calculated amongst other things.

I approve this plan. My approval means whatever's slightly above "nothing", but still.

I think looking back at the year and ranking 10 or 20 is cool, but ranking them as you go is, as you say, kinda calculated amongst other things.

Exactly, because now, everything new I am listening to, I'm struggling to find a place for, and then I throw my hands up in the air and realize these rankings mean NOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHING.

I was thinking I'd be ranking free this year as well. For some strange reason, that always stresses me out.

I don't mind going through the year with a top 5 or so, but this has become insane. Incredibly insane.

I managed to rank all 100 albums I've heard this year. Does that make me more insane or more conscientious than the rest of you? Realistically, they mean absolutely nothing, but placing the list into an order of some kind gives me an order in which to revisit them later in the year.

Good lists to GAFfer and bono_2122388728748628728372873, by the way.

:up:

I'll be first with the links, click here to see Popmatters' various best of 2009 lists:
PopMatters Picks: The Best Music of 2009 | PopMatters

Well, #33 on the singles list surprised me, compared to what I've seen as numbers 50 - 34 so far:

U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

No Line on the Horizon may have lacked the hall-of-fame singles of previous U2 efforts, but here’s one transcendent enough to stand with the band’s biggest, grandest anthems. It’s a shimmering rocker emblematic of the best of ‘00s U2: the Edge’s sparkle-chime guitar trickery, Larry Mullen’s skitter-shuffle drums, Adam Clayton’s undulating bass figure, and Bono’s soaring celebration of the right to be ridiculous, shouting out to the beauties and idiots who get a shot at changing the world. The song builds into a mountain of light with all four members going for broke before floating down to a gentle release. Whew, that was crazy…

Is it just me, or does that seem out of place on that list? Heh.

Oh, also? Time magazine named NLOTH as the third best song of the year, which seems kind of random. Cool, but random.

I don't know, but you need to post that shit.

I'll check out Raekwon, El Perro Del Mar, Real Estate, Future Of The Left, and The Temper Trap's records and post up the final rankings, plus I've already made a playlist for those interested. Have to upload that as well.

Back
Top Bottom