Best and Worst Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cute Irish Bono

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So here's how this works. You look at the last band posted, then say what you think their best album is, and what their worst album is. And give a new band right after that.

Blur

The Smiths???

Best: The Queen Is Dead
Worst...must be Strangeways, though I suppose I like Meat Is Murder more than most people. I would like this category to be more along the lines of "most/least awesome."

Led Zeppelin

It's boring if you pick artists with long careers and a bunch of shitty albums :wink: More controversy if you have to choose between great ones.

Best: Houses of the Holy
Worst: Presence? I haven't heard it or In Through The Out Door in ages to choose between them, but both are mediocre

David Bowie

According to RYM:

Best of Carole King: Tapestry
Worst of Carole King: Speeding Time

Depeche Mode

I like the concept of this thread but for the sake of not making it a lame game, there should be conversation. If everyone is on board with it, I guess to talk just leave the last quote under you? If not... continue on.

Best: Funeral
Worst: Neon Bible (Still really good though)

The Shins

LuckyNumber7 said:
I like the concept of this thread but for the sake of not making it a lame game, there should be conversation. If everyone is on board with it, I guess to talk just leave the last quote under you? If not... continue on.
I agree. You should dispute my best and worst and give your take on it to make the game interesting. Or if you agree say nothing at all or put an up sign. For instance, how many people really neon bible is arcade fires worst? I love it and it was really hard to vote it the worst with songs like my body is a cage and no cars go and ocean of noise but I thought the others songs weren't as good. Every song on funeral is amazing. Thoughts?

I would rate Suburbs as their "worst," if only because of what I see as its inconsistency. I suppose that I have always been higher on Neon Bible than the consensus, though. I would also seriously dispute Exciter as DM's low point. There are several A-rate songs on that one.

I agree about Suburbs vs Neon Bible. While I think Suburbs is very good overall, and there are songs I love on it, there are also songs I don't care for, and I can't say that about Neon Bible.

I say just let it go.

Opinions are subjective. Most of these seem to be correct.

any of the first 3 Springsteen albums are way better than anything after them. so Born to Run as best, is not wrong.

in a set of the two Arcade Fire albums. Funeral is the best and Neon Bible could be the worst.

Yankee, Hotel, Foxtrot is certainly in Wilco's best category.

The best Coldplay album? the one they did not release,
the worst?
, all the ones they did release.

Automatic for the People, not REM's best at all.

anyways for this thread to work, I say the one that posts first gets to label their best and worst.

so please continue

The Shins.

Neon Bible is the only Arcade Fire album that leaves me feeling empty when it ends. It sounds good; it has the form of a good album, including evocative production and a fistful of ear-catching tracks, but the sum of its parts is negligible. Perhaps it's just an issue of taste; I find the balance of sorrow and optimism present on Funeral to be very fulfilling, and The Suburbs, for all of its cynicism, does not neglect to mention the good times. Its authenticity makes the pessimism cut that much closer to the bone. Neon Bible is pure darkness, and it seems that the catalyst is largely political. Fuck that. Arcade Fire doesn't wear it well (Windowsill is the most explicit in this regard, and it's just lame).

Hands down their worst, although it would have been a promising debut for lesser bands.

Opinions are subjective.

Funny that you say this and then go on to make a bunch of objectively-worded judgments about the artists mentioned.

Neon Bible is the only Arcade Fire album that leaves me feeling empty when it ends. It sounds good; it has the form of a good album, including evocative production and a fistful of ear-catching tracks, but the sum of its parts is negligible. Perhaps it's just an issue of taste; I find the balance of sorrow and optimism present on Funeral to be very fulfilling, and The Suburbs, for all of its cynicism, does not neglect to mention the good times. Its authenticity makes the pessimism cut that much closer to the bone. Neon Bible is pure darkness, and it seems that the catalyst is largely political. Fuck that. Arcade Fire doesn't wear it well.

Hands down their worst, although it would have been a promising debut for lesser bands.

I don't know, man, No Cars Go and Keep the Car Running are pretty buoyant and, dare I say, euphoric at times. I'm not sure that I'm seeing how Suburbs is more authentic in its perspective than Neon Bible.

Regarding the Shins, I'll say Oh Inverted World is their finest, for its charming naivety, subtle neo-psychedelic touches and utter lack of bad songs. Chutes Too Narrow is nearly as good song-for-song but the production leaves me cold, dropping it down a notch.

The worst is by far Port of Morrow; it hardly seems like the same band, and I suppose it isn't.

Next band: White Stripes

I don't know, man, No Cars Go and Keep the Car Running are pretty buoyant and, dare I say, euphoric at times. I'm not sure that I'm seeing how Suburbs is more authentic in its perspective than Neon Bible.

I knew someone would mention No Cars Go (and why not, it's excellent). Points to them for digging that one up, but it's such a poor fit thematically that I've started to resent it being on Neon Bible. I wish they had saved it for a more buoyant record. Keep The Car Running is perfect.

I can't attest to the objective authenticity of either, as I don't have the life experience to give my views such gravity, but the Suburbs rings true for me and Neon Bible borders on sloganeering. Again, it's maybe just an issue of taste. If there is any problem with The Suburbs it's that it's a one-trick pony; Win hits the same nerve on every song, but the lyrics are so damn true that I can forgive him for it. Not everyone has experienced a childhood like his (or mine), but I can personally attest to its truth. Neon Bible says a lot of things that add up to "the world is an awful place and uh yeah," and that doesn't do a lot for me.

White Stripes

Best: De Stijl. Unadulterated, unabashed blues with searing guitar work from Jack and primal stomping from Meg. Perhaps one of my all-time favorite albums.

Worst: The White Stripes.

The Cure.

Funny that you say this and then go on to make a bunch of objectively-worded judgments about the artists mentioned.

I do think my opinions are subjective, as all of the other opinions in here regarding best and worst of an artist's work.

Definition of Objective and Subjective
Objective is a statement that is completely unbiased. It is not touched by the speaker’s previous experiences or tastes. It is verifiable by looking up facts or performing mathematical calculations.
Subjective is a statement that has been colored by the character of the speaker or writer. It often has a basis in reality, but reflects the perspective through with the speaker views reality. It cannot be verified using concrete facts and figures.

continue

The Cure

Back
Top Bottom