Best and Worst Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a fan
I don"t know all there stuff, but I love them on road trips

The Moon and Antarctica, best

there is also good stuff on both, We Were Dead..... and Good News for People....

I can't pick a worst :shrug:

Nick Cave

Nick Cave:

Best IMNSHO: Dig Lazarus Dig!! (but closely followed by No More Shall We Part)
Worst: Murder Ballads (a cartoonish collection of, well, murder ballads. but closely followed by Nocturama, which is just sort of why-bother)

Nick Cave:

Best IMNSHO: Dig Lazarus Dig!! (but closely followed by No More Shall We Part)
Worst: Murder Ballads (a cartoonish collection of, well, murder ballads. but closely followed by Nocturama, which is just sort of why-bother)

Really interesting choices here. No More Shall We Part would be my choice for his best - as compelling a blend of lovelorn musings and raw eccentricity as I've heard. I suspect that the choice of Murder Ballads for worst will generate some discussion, though.

I suspect it will too. I gather that Murder Ballads is quite highly regarded. But I regard the mid nineties as a pretty low point for Mr Cave. The Boatman's Call marked something of a resurgence.

Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is phenomenal.

Not sure I've heard enough of his full albums to pick a definitive worst. The Boatman's Call maybe.

Let Love In is far and away my favorite.

Let Love In is my favorite as well, with No More Shall We Part a close second.

Dig Lazarus Dig is my least favorite of what I've heard, but I haven't heard his earliest work, or Nocturama. A lot of people shit on that album.

What Martha and djerdap and lazarus said.

Best Cat Power Album: You Are Free
Worst Cat Power Album: Jukebox (worst non-covers album would surely be Dear Sir)

Guided By Voices

I know most Cat Power fans prefer the older work but I'll take The Greatest over all.

Jukebox is a slog though if you took one album's worth from it you may have something better than The Covers Record.

As for GBV:

Best: Bee Thousand
Worst: Vampire on Titus

I know it's cliche but my best is just too good to ignore. Alien Lanes would be damned close. While old schoolers love to pick on Do The Collapse, I think it's better than Vampire On Titus. That and Propeller are the only two really old ones I know.

Returning to Nick Cave for a second, asking for the artist's best (or more honestly, favourite) song would possibly deliver a very different result. In my case, 'O Children' from the Lyre of Orpheus, bar none.

I know most Cat Power fans prefer the older work but I'll take The Greatest over all.

Jukebox is a slog though if you took one album's worth from it you may have something better than The Covers Record.

As for GBV:

Best: Bee Thousand
Worst: Vampire on Titus

I know it's cliche but my best is just too good to ignore. Alien Lanes would be damned close. While old schoolers love to pick on Do The Collapse, I think it's better than Vampire On Titus. That and Propeller are the only two really old ones I know.

I haven't heard Do The Collapse (nor do I really want to), but my least favorite so far is undoubtedly Let's Go Eat The Factory. Not one song is up to the par set by their classic records, and there are a fuckload of songs to choose from. I'm going to be really bummed if Class Clown Spots a UFO is a letdown too.

Bee Thousand is, yes, their finest work. Among the finest albums ever, honestly.

Crooked Rain is the only one I own, best of aside. It's very good, especially now that I've deleted 5-4 Unity. Fillmore Jive is so good.

Love the final lines, "when they pull out their plugs and they snort up their drugs / when they pull out their plugs and they snort up their drugs / their hearts / are filled / with"

It's Laz's turn as he answered the GBV challenge.

Terror Twilight is by far the worst Pavement album. Sure, they still had something left in the tank (Spit On A Stranger, Major Leagues, Carrot Rope), but in general it sounds like an uninspired band crawling over the finish line after years of kicking ass. Pitchfork awarding it a 9.2 is equivalent to the Grammys awarding Steely Dan or Ray Charles or Herbie Hancock album of the year for substandard work, purely based on their legacy.

Slanted has grown on me a lot. It's a tough sell at first but there are a number of their best tracks on it, and it has a great deal of charm and energy to it. Brighten The Corners is Pavement going through the motions (maturing?) but the songs were still really good. Very strong record.

Can't decide if Crooked Rain or Wowee Zowee is their best; they're both perfect, barring a couple of lame tracks on each.

So much wrong in that post I don't even know where to begin.

Cream Of Gold kicks some serious ass, far from simply "a little left in the tank". You Are A Light is gorgeous (that moment after the second chorus when SM says "Yeah." and takes that sweet little guitar break??), and it's odd you would single out a generic ballad like Spit On A Stranger instead.

Also, The Hexx? I need to defend this one?

The album is an easy target because it's a mellower affair with a real producer at the helm, but I think it sounds fantastic. It's not the Pavement people wanted, certainly not as a farewell. But the tunes are there, the playing is gorgeous.

And looks like I'll have to post the Christgau notes again, which I know I've done before:

Terror Twilight [Matador, 1999]
Since I was fooled myself until I saw them live and knew every riff, I'm wondering why some believe there are no songs here. Probably the explanation is tempo. There's never that frantic hang-on-for-your-life moment when you either pay attention or embrace brain death--when you engage at gunpoint. And though the music seems stitched together rather than wound tight, it's never in any apparent danger of falling apart; it isn't riven or driven by internal contradictions. Thus, too much meaning is left up to the words. But that's not the same as the songs not being there--or as the meanings not being there either. A-

I'm not even going to respond to your claim that Brighten The Corners is "going through the motions". Give me a break.

Laz overreacting to a subjective claim on the internet?! :panic: Months exploring Europe can't even adjust your perspective.

I think Terror Twilight is boring.

Robert Christgau thinks Slanted and Enchanted is an A record, perhaps their best.

So it goes.

So did most rock critics.

I mean, it finished #2 under Guyville on that year's Pazz & Jop. I don't think it's their bet either but it's def a classic now.

Your subjective opinion of the later albums is projecting things onto the band's mentality like "going through the motions" and "uninspired", which Christgau (smarter than you) addresses in his capsules on both albums. Like what you like, but don't try and back it up with some bullshit about where their heads were at.

Objectively speaking, was he privy to their recording process and psychological profile to any greater degree than the rest of us? Of course not. He's a rock critic, not a rock producer, and he did not sit in on those sessions.

He spun the negative attributes that he perceived in a positive manner and slapped on a grade. I saw similar negative attributes and interpreted them at face value. For you to infer a degree of intelligence based upon the way one interprets a subjective observation is absurd by definition, and I'm a little bit offended.

There is absolutely nothing about Brighten The Corners that represents a departure for the band, so I chose to interpret it the way I did. It's a fine record, it's a great collection of songs, but it's not revolutionary. It's a great band doing what they do, and little more (again, maturation? Christgau would say so). And I don't hear inspiration inherent in the songwriting of Terror Twilight. I have no idea whether they were actually inspired, and neither does Christgau.

I use labels like "uninspired" because, whatever their implications, it makes for more interesting discussion than merely assigning something a grade or rank.

Not that I give a damn about Pavement, but why is Christgau's opinion of any consequence here? He's a great writer, but ultimately just another pretentious critic.

Anyway, do we have a new artist yet? How about Elton John?

Back
Top Bottom