Best Albums of 2011 - The Lists Begin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It bothers me that the album is actually called Bon Iver, Bon Iver. Too much Bon Iver.

I love that Britney is on Spin's list. I think I saw her on another list, too. That's a rollicking pop album.

I really liked NPR's list - I found a few albums by people I'd never heard of, and based on the descriptions, checked them out. There was only one that made me add it to my Amazon wish list, but I liked reading about and then hearing artists I hadn't heard of.

I mean, I don't follow classical music, so of course I hadn't heard of their choices in that genre, but it was cool to hear about artists I hadn't heard about umpteen times already.

Edit: Spin's list also has Frank Ocean, a new name to me. I'm not sure I want to buy his album, but I did kind of dig it. Loved the quiet cover of Strawberry Swing (!!) that opened the album. There's a country artist on this list as well that was on NPR's, and he's a new name for me, too. Nifty.

Yay for Spin being the first to mention how fantastic the Drive soundtrack is.

Joey788 said:
Also, am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal of that Telekinesis record? It's on the top of so many lists, but I think it's average at best.

I haven't seen it on too many lists myself, but I agree that it doesn't deserve to top any of them. It's very energetic but generic indie rock that, if it were even 10 minutes longer would be tiring. I like it quite a bit, but there's nothing really worth celebrating there.

Ashley will disagree though. She thought that record was great.

Their praise of Nine Types of Light is a bit baffling. Good record, but far from perfect...

That seems to be one that kind of fell under the radar this year. I really enjoy it every time that I hear it, but I don't really consider it one of the noteworthy albums of the year, either. That said, "Will Do" is probably among the top five songs of the year for me.

Agreed, Will Do is awesome. I like 9 Types considerably more than the last album, but it's no Cookie Mountain (which was prob. my favorite album of 2006).

u2popmofo said:
Yay for Spin being the first to mention how fantastic the Drive soundtrack is.

"A Real Hero" would be extremely high on a best songs list. But I'm not even bothering.

I've made my dislike of Nine Types of Light pretty clear, but I do want to say that Will Do is indeed awesome. The whole album just doesn't really have any defining characteristic, whereas the two before it felt very complete. It's kind of their HTDAAB.

"A Real Hero" would be extremely high on a best songs list. But I'm not even bothering.

While I guess the song is a few years old, Nightcall is one of my favs this year. I've listened to it a ton. It, Real Hero, Under Your Spell, and Tick of the Clock have all gotten quite a few plays from me this year. :up:

I'll definitely be picking that movie up on Blu-Ray.

LemonMelon said:
I've made my dislike of Nine Types of Light pretty clear, but I do want to say that Will Do is indeed awesome. The whole album just doesn't really have any defining characteristic, whereas the two before it felt very complete. It's kind of their HTDAAB.

Yeah, this. It's much less than the sum of its parts. Will Do's top five for me as well though, and Second Song rules.

Surprised you guys, or anyone, could prefer the directionless mess of Dear Science to 9 Types of Light. That album is probably one of the biggest musical disappointments I've had in years.

u2popmofo said:
directionless mess of Dear Science

What? It's their dance album. Some of the transitions are off, but Crying, Dancing Choose, Golden Age, and those heavy yet danceable beats on Red Dress, DLZ and Love Dog make it clear that it was meant to brighten their sound a bit. It has a very consistent sheen about it, also. Great production from Sitek. It's like saying It's Blitz was directionless because Little Shadow is on it.

I prefer 9 Types of Light over Dear Science as well.

I finally got around to hearing The King Is Dead. It's a shame I didn't do it earlier. It's probably in the top 10 of the year for me.

I finally got around to hearing The King Is Dead. It's a shame I didn't do it earlier. It's probably in the top 10 of the year for me.

I was just listening to some tracks from it this weekend, after not listening to it for months. It's sometimes sad when a really good album comes out early in the year, as they're easy to forget at the end of the year. I notice I often seem to include things that came out late in the year to things just as good, if not better, that came out earlier.

So, the two albums that I've seen pop up on a lot of these lists that I haven't heard yet but that I really think I need to hear are:

Yuck
Wild Flag

Never really been a huge Decemberists fan, but I think I need to go back and give The King is Dead another listen.

I was still catching up on 2010's music when it was released so it kinda fell by the wayside.

Surprised you guys, or anyone, could prefer the directionless mess of Dear Science to 9 Types of Light. That album is probably one of the biggest musical disappointments I've had in years.
I agree

almost as surprised as that Me'Shell NdegéOcello and Ry Cooder are not in every 2011 Top 10

Having heard both Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver's 2011 albums today since the summer, I'm convinced they're both awesome. Listening back through my favorites has been a great experience. 2011 :up:

For some reason nothing from the new Bon Iver ever sticks with me when I hear it, so I listened to the 3 singles from the album today, and surprisingly felt familiar with all 3. I'm planning to get through the whole album again tonight or tomorrow.

Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver is an astounding sonic experience, although song for song it isn't as engaging as For Emma.

Yeah, my favs from the first were incredibly memorable, where as the self-titled all seems to run together for me. That said, I think it's overall a better album.

Great songs, nor merely good ones, comprise great albums, so I don't quite agree. I mean, literally everything on BIBI is good, but it's got to aim a little higher than that.

As hard as people keep pushing Perth and Calgary as the best tracks, I just don't hear it. Michicant all the way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom