Best Albums of 2011 - The Lists Begin - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:22 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed The Whole Love, and I am (was) far from a Wilco fanatic.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #107
The Male

Local Time: 02:22 AM
After two kinda lame albums, Whole Love is their best since Yankee Hotel Foxtrot IMO. Really brings together their best qualities, and the songs are performed with real intensity compared to the last couple. The acclaim is totally deserved.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Agreed. Easily in my top 5 of the year.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The last Wilco album was unmemorable. The new one is fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed The Whole Love, and I am (was) far from a Wilco fanatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
After two kinda lame albums, Whole Love is their best since Yankee Hotel Foxtrot IMO. Really brings together their best qualities, and the songs are performed with real intensity compared to the last couple. The acclaim is totally deserved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancemc View Post
Agreed. Easily in my top 5 of the year.
Yes. Except I'd say best since A Ghost is Born.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Re: the Pitchfork list...one day I'm going to make it to the end of that Cass McCombs song.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #111
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl

Yes. Except I'd say best since A Ghost is Born.
See, I don't think A Ghost is Born is a great "album." It has an excellent first half, but the second half shits the bed by completely losing its grasp on the atmosphere the first half established (not to mention that 15 minutes of nothing). There is no weak portion of The Whole Love, except maybe Capitol City/Standing O. Maybe.

Really dug the one Cass McCombs album I heard.

Now.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
See, I don't think A Ghost is Born is a great "album." It has an excellent first half, but the second half shits the bed by completely losing its grasp on the atmosphere the first half established (not to mention that 15 minutes of nothing).
While I actually agree with you, I have a sentimental connection to AGIB, and what was going on in my life at the time, the live shows, etc., that color my opinion. I really do love The Whole Love, but my affection for the band and their music just isn't what it used to be so I don't have the passion for the music that I did up to and including AGIB. So, it's more an emotional response than anything else. But you're right, The Whole Love is probably the better record though for me the high points on AGIB are better.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

I gotta say, I think the FORK! setting up their own Spotify list with all the songs from their Top 100 is a really cool idea. I'll bet a bunch of other sites jump on that train, and I've got the list set up right now and am going to listen to some of the tracks that I hadn't yet heard.

Before today, I'd probably heard only around 25 of their top 100.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #114
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl

While I actually agree with you, I have a sentimental connection to AGIB, and what was going on in my life at the time, the live shows, etc., that color my opinion. I really do love The Whole Love, but my affection for the band and their music just isn't what it used to be so I don't have the passion for the music that I did up to and including AGIB. So, it's more an emotional response than anything else. But you're right, The Whole Love is probably the better record though for me the high points on AGIB are better.
I'll also agree that AGIB's high points are better. I don't know what it is with Wilco and album openers, but At Least That's What You Said might actually be their best, even better than Misunderstood, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, Art of Almost, etc. Then there's Handshake Drugs, and Muzzle of Bees and Wishful Thinking and yeah, the list goes on. I just have a thing about the more upbeat songs on that album.

Now.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Is it strange that I like Yankee Hotel least of the Wilco albums that I have heard (Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel, and The Whole Love)?

This would seem to challenge the oft-repeated criticism of our dear Cobbler, as I listened to the most-acclaimed album first and was turned off to the band for years as a result.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm not usually one to complain about these lists, but how in the hell did "Super Bass" get to number four? Last year, Pitchfork was applauding Minaj as the savior of gangsta rap, and then they turn around and acclaim a piece of insipid, paint-by-numbers FM pop-lite as the fourth best song of the year?
I don't know, but they mentioned Taylor in the write-up so I'm good to go.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #117
45:33

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie
I'm not usually one to complain about these lists, but how in the hell did "Super Bass" get to number four? Last year, Pitchfork was applauding Minaj as the savior of gangsta rap, and then they turn around and acclaim a piece of insipid, paint-by-numbers FM pop-lite as the fourth best song of the year?
I see your point, but holy fuck is it a catchy song.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #118
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie
Is it strange that I like Yankee Hotel least of the Wilco albums that I have heard (Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel, and The Whole Love)?

This would seem to challenge the oft-repeated criticism of our dear Cobbler, as I listened to the most-acclaimed album first and was turned off to the band for years as a result.
Laz's boy Christgau doesn't care for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot either. I think y'all are crazy, but I can understand that YHF may seem rather tame after all the hype. It's just a tremendously well-crafted and sequenced record, not so much the mindfuck everybody made it out to be.

Now.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

cool about Spotify. is it possible to find these playlists on the mobile version as well?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I just have a thing about the more upbeat songs on that album.
You mean you don't like the upbeat songs? In general, Summerteeth excepted, I am not wild about a lot of their upbeat songs.

Quote:

People seem to either love YHF or hate it. I'm in the love camp and the hate camp used to really disturb me. Thankfully, I am long over that. Honestly it doesn't seem all that amazing to me now but when it first came out it blew me away. And I still love those songs probably more than any of their stuff but I can totally understand why you prefer their other records.

And yes, LM, Wilco openers are consistently great - amazingly so.

Tags
best of 2011, lists