Best Albums of 2011 - The Lists Begin - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
downloading culture makes it extremely difficult to track who is listening to what albums.
That's simply not true. An era of online searching makes such a thing much easier.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
That's simply not true. An era of online searching makes such a thing much easier.
Okay, go ahead and tell me the age range and sex of album downloaders (from torrents and such, not iTunes) based on their IP addresses, and, on top of that, what their stances are on female body image. You might be able to tell how many people have heard the album, but nothing about their demographic breakdown. Maybe concert attendees would be a somewhat accurate measurement, but even that could be unrepresentative.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Okay, go ahead and tell me the age range and sex of album downloaders (from torrents and such, not iTunes) based on their IP addresses, and, on top of that, what their stances are on female body image. You might be able to tell how many people have heard the album, but nothing about their demographic breakdown. Maybe concert attendees would be a somewhat accurate measurement, but even that could be unrepresentative.
Me? I wouldn't able to do that. But that's somebody's job to do that. Based on what people search, you can learn a lot about them. I suggest you read Bill Tancer's Click if you want to know a little bit more about that, but that's basically the concept of trending searches. You can learn about people based upon what they're searching.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:59 AM
I know I keep mentioning it, but not posting a link, but if you want an eclectic, schizophrenic list, check out Amazon's top 100 list.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Me? I wouldn't able to do that. But that's somebody's job to do that. Based on what people search, you can learn a lot about them. I suggest you read Bill Tancer's Click if you want to know a little bit more about that, but that's basically the concept of trending searches. You can learn about people based upon what they're searching.
I think we might be talking about different things here. I am fully aware that one's internet activity is tracked by variety of sources, but the browsing tendencies do not reveal anything definitive about demographics. For example, my browser history might suggest that I am a man, but it cannot be proven based on my online shopping, forum usage, etc. This is a major reason why so many of those IRA cases against downloaders were thrown out if they reached court: the IP address that downloaded the files could not be linked conclusively to any single person.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #51
45:33

Local Time: 02:59 AM
This could end very badly...
Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I think we might be talking about different things here. I am fully aware that one's internet activity is tracked by variety of sources, but the browsing tendencies do not reveal anything definitive about demographics. For example, my browser history might suggest that I am a man, but it cannot be proven based on my online shopping, forum usage, etc. This is a major reason why so many of those IRA cases against downloaders were thrown out if they reached court: the IP address that downloaded the files could not be linked conclusively to any single person.
But you can compare one search to another from a unique user. You can determine demographics. It can't be definitive about a single person of course, but speaking in terms of populations you can draw demographics based on trending searches (because people make more than one search).
Old 12-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
But you can compare one search to another from a unique user. You can determine demographics. It can't be definitive about a single person of course, but speaking in terms of populations you can draw demographics based on trending searches (because people make more than one search).
Fair point. The point that I am trying to make, though, is that correlations in web searches, let's say, for example, between Adele and Pottery Barn, still reveal nothing definitive about the sex or age of the people making those searches. The cultural assumption might be that the majority of people making those two searches are women, but the reality might be something entirely different. More specifically, people might think that, because Pottery Barn markets to women, most of the people searching for it must be women, which assumes that the marketing is effective when in fact it may not be. It is guesswork rather than science.

But I am going to drop this now, as I have already hijacked the thread. I just found the idea that Adele's success is even partially based on pathos for her weight to be rather insulting to her.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #54
Blue Meth Addict

Popmatters' list:

The 75 Best Albums of 2011 < PopMatters
Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

The top two albums of the year are Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes? Are we in 2008 again?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I feel that the album of the year should be a nice breakthrough of sorts which is why I was fine with Kanye reaping the press rewards last year even though the album wasn't as strong overall for me as some of his earlier records. It was a huge change of pace and a hip hop record like no other.

Having Bon Iver or Fleet Foxes being ranked so highly on this lists is kind of disturbing. Both of those albums are practically retreads of what those acts did earlier, only not nearly as good. In the case of Fleet Foxes, at least they took enough chances to make things different enough working in the same formula. The new Bon Iver record just felt kind of like a cover band doing a runthrough of the first record.

Still, not as ridiculous as Adele topping lists, mind you.

Anyway, from Metacritic's amalgamation of lists, it's clear that PJ Harvey has enough breathing room to emerge as this year's most lauded album. A good artist doing something altogether new.

Again, just me trying to be objective. I don't have the PJ Harvey album in my collection and would prefer to listen to the new records from Bon Iver/Fleet Foxes (which are both in my collection, barely), but I certainly know which one is at least worthy of an Album of the Year win.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #57
Blue Meth Addict

Their top 3 are a bit of a surprise honestly, but the list over all is pretty good. It's fairly obvious that they probably poll all their writers, and make placements based on albums' frequency and placement (like we do here), hence why 1 and 2 are where they are. Because of that, their lists are typically fairly BS free, and don't seem as forced or "political" as others.

At the end of the day, none of it remotely matters. I think some of you put way too much stock into what a website collectively decides is their writers and editors' favorite albums.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

As I've said before, I don't think I'll be making a ranked list this year. But I do still want to choose an AOTY. Drumroll please.

Sorry, Annie.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I would take serious issue with the idea that Bon Iver is a tired retread of Emma.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #60
The Male

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
I would take serious issue with the idea that Bon Iver is a tired retread of Emma.
Same here. The production is radically different, and many of the songs have a synth backing instead of guitar and vocal overdubs. I mean, OK, it's almost equally slow, but then that's like saying For Emma was a tired retreat of Pink Moon.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of 2011, lists