Best Albums of 2011 - The Lists Begin - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:28 AM
"Baby's Arms" need to listen to that album again.

These lists are ridiculous.

Amazon. Com's is pretty decent.

My break is over, and goodbye.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 AM   #32
45:33

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
So it begins. Publications have started dropping their end-of-year lists. I figure we could use this thread to compile all the official lists and maybe have a separate one later in the year for our own personal lists.

Here's what I found so far. Add as the days go by.

Paste Magazine

Q Magazine

Uncut Magazine

Rolling Stone

NPR

NME

MOJO

I'd have to say that NPR's list is my favorite so far. It doesn't numerically order the albums and it actually contains music from all genres, including classical and musical soundtracks. Least favorite is Rolling Stone's painfully predictable list.
n/a, n/a, 31, 42, n/a, 44, 41.

Not good enough.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212
You had better not have looked at any of these lists, Travis!
Can I just say how aweome it is that you used the mad wife smilie?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

No love for The Airborne Toxic Event - All At Once
Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Can I just say how aweome it is that you used the mad wife smilie?
I am glad someone recognized my artistry with emoticons
Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #36
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Adele's fair share of haters actually comes from the Gaga fans or so it seems But I think the same whenever Pink releases a new album and all the singles sound like they all came off the last album, I don't understand the praise. Maybe its cause Adele is "new" on the scene...its only a matter of time before someone else comes on the overhyped train.

But even if Adele cleans up at the Grammys, do they actually mean anything these days?
I don't hate Adele or even dislike her. I think she's very talented and I agree with someone upthread that it's nice to see an artist with her talent find mainstream success. But I just think her album isn't nearly as good as some critics have made it out to be. She certainly has the talent to put out a truly great album, but 21 wasn't it.

The reason a lot of Gaga fans are fed up with the Adele hype is because a lot of critics feel the need to include thinly veiled swipes at Gaga while they're praising Adele. You know what I mean - saying things like how Adele doesn't have to dress weird for attention. Personally, I think that when Gaga sits down at her piano and just sings she is as good, if not better, than Adele and critics need to stop acting like Gaga is somehow a lower form of singer just because she also likes the theatrical side of entertaining and doesn't just sit on a stool and awe people with her voice.

As for the overhype train, I believe that it may have already picked up its next passenger - Lana Del Rey.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #37

Lana Del Ray is hot as fuck.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootomic View Post
I don't hate Adele or even dislike her. I think she's very talented and I agree with someone upthread that it's nice to see an artist with her talent find mainstream success. But I just think her album isn't nearly as good as some critics have made it out to be. She certainly has the talent to put out a truly great album, but 21 wasn't it. .
I wasn't singling you out either. There was just a heap of crap about a month back where Gaga fans were supposively having a dig at Adele. Slow news day I guess.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:28 PM
I don't enjoy listening to Adele's voice
Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #40
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
I wasn't singling you out either. There was just a heap of crap about a month back where Gaga fans were supposively having a dig at Adele. Slow news day I guess.
Yes, I remember that. Apparently some of Gaga's less mature fans were remarking unkindly on Twitter about Adele's weight. Gaga happened to be in the UK at the time so an interviewer there asked her what she thought about it. Of course, this left Gaga with no choice but to condemn her own fans for their behavior and to say how much she loves Adele. Just another instance of the media (the British media in particular) protecting Adele from criticism while at the same time taking a swipe at Gaga.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

No, I'd say Gaga was right on the money with that response. Adele doesn't need to hear a bunch of shitheads comment about her weight. It's not like she isn't aware she is physically bigger than many other pop stars.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Rolling Stone's list covered the most ground, so I'll give them props for that. Too bad you could've thrown darts at those 50 albums and come up with a list just as reasonable, if not better. Talk about random.

Moreover, Rolling Stone continually seems to have a conflict between the mainstream and the underground. They've been "going Pitchfork" more and more over the years, but there's still plenty of major label loyalists working for that publication, hence the reason their list seems pretty diverse.

Paste had the Childish Gambino album on their list. That invalidates the entire thing outright.

As for Adele, does anyone else feel that her weight helps give her good press and extra fans? It's not the type of music that most teen girls are into anyway, rather, middle aged women orgasm over her stuff. And isn't a chubby girl more marketable to said demographic than someone really skinny? I dunno. Almost seems like a sympathy reaction of sorts.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #43

Obviously you weren't invited to Camp.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacPhisto View Post
As for Adele, does anyone else feel that her weight helps give her good press and extra fans? It's not the type of music that most teen girls are into anyway, rather, middle aged women orgasm over her stuff. And isn't a chubby girl more marketable to said demographic than someone really skinny? I dunno. Almost seems like a sympathy reaction of sorts.
No, and I don't think that you have any way of measuring her demographic with any degree of accuracy; downloading culture makes it extremely difficult to track who is listening to what albums. I would wager that most people who like Adele have no clue what she even looks like.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #45
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
No, I'd say Gaga was right on the money with that response. Adele doesn't need to hear a bunch of shitheads comment about her weight. It's not like she isn't aware she is physically bigger than many other pop stars.
True, but Gaga takes constant shots from shitheads on Twitter about her physical looks but you don't see any mainstream American reporters asking Madonna or Katy Perry or Beyonce what they think about their fans trashing Gaga.

Back on topic - Time Magazine has done a video post of their top ten albums. It's interesting and fairly eclectic until #1 where, of course, Adele is parked. Arghhh.

The Top 10 Albums of 2011 - Video - TIME.com

Tags
best of 2011, lists