Beirut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the first song on the album, I like it a great deal.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get it! The indie station here has been playing a lot of tracks from it recently, which I approve of.

Aaaand....just arrived at work and here is my copy of The Rip Tide waiting for me. We're closed on Mondays so somebody must have been here to receive it. :happy:

My immediate thoughts are: nice packaging.

No. I don't like Mondays.

I have three-day weekends. Every week. Go ahead and hate me.

But we do a lot of events that require late nights, plus I have to travel a lot on weekends for work. So the three-day weekends more than make up for that.

My next batch of goodies just arrived, too: Magnolia Electric Co. "Josephine" and Songs: Ohia "Magnolia Electric Co." (Yeah, I'm confused.) Playing catch-up with that.

But I'm going to be listening to Beirut the next couple of weeks because the show's coming up.

I thought you'd get that right away. :sad:

I had a near-tragedy with my new Beirut CD. It got stuck in my car CD player as soon as I inserted it during my lunch break. Fortunately it finally ejected after I beat the hell out of the dash at a stoplight. This happened once before many years ago with not such a happy ending.

I was being sarcastic, as I definitely know what you're talking about.

Hopefully your cd and cd player will survive to live another horns filled Beirut day.

I'm on my third listen to Rip Tide. Early favorites: A Candle's Fire, Goshen, The Riptide, and the gorgeous Peacock.

Certainly the most accessible Beirut record and, though slight, is really quite wonderful beginning to end.

They were great, of course, but the venue is awful, the crowd was awful, and the setlist disappointing. They only played TWO songs off the new record, Santa Fe and Goshen. I thought that was incredibly strange. Santa Fe is probably my least favorite song from Rip Tide but it was really great live.

The last show I saw had a wild and ecstatic quality to it that was completely absent in this venue. I think that every junior high student in the state was there to see the local legend and they were really annoying. They talked unbelievably loud throughout the opening set of the lovely Laetitia Sadier (of Stereolab), to the point that she commented on it, as did one of the Beirut band members later.

The happiest woman in the world was standing beside me. She looked exactly like Zach but with glasses and breasts. It was his mother, doing the "that's my boy up there!" mom dance. Very cute.

One great thing is that whenever the horns come blasting through the crowd went crazy every time.

So, a less than stellar review, although it was less to do with Beirut than the atmosphere, and we still had fun. This is our only venue for a crowd larger than 800 people so it's better than nothing. I'm looking forward to the old farts who will make up the majority of the audience at next month's Morrissey show at the same place.

Crazy they only played two new songs, I'd be pretty disappointed by that. Also crazy that you were standing next to his mom!

Holy crap, A Candle's Fire sounds like 69 Love Songs and Illinois crammed together. Sante Fe was less like 69 Love Songs and more like Get Lost. All good things.

Edit: Now they sound more like themselves. Their singer sounds like a cross between Stephen Merritt and the dude from the Dodos though.

I was going to say yesterday that I thought you might enjoy it, but for some reason did not. I have a hard time guessing what people will or won't like on here sometimes, and then I feel bad when they dislike something I recommended.

haha, I suspect my frequent postings lately about how much I love The Magnetic Fields may have had something to do with that?

Obviously not a carbon copy, but there are elements that are very similar between the two.

In the early Beirut days, it was all the Neutral Milk Hotel fanatics that were huge fans because of the small similarities. Zach really changes the sound up decently on pretty much each release though, so while it's obviously still the same group, each release has a different enough feel to it.

I admit this is the first I've heard by them, and I kind of despise NMH, should I mess with the rest of their discog?

I admit this is the first I've heard by them, and I kind of despise NMH, should I mess with the rest of their discog?

I think the only thing those people found similar were the use of horns and other "not so normal" type of instrumentation in the songs (far more ukulele and such on the first album). I'm definitely a bit biased since I love these guys, but I think all their major releases (EPs included) have all been pretty great. This new one is definitely the most easily accessible, where as the other two full lengths focus a bit more on different European music and such.

OK then, I see no reason why I shouldn't check out some more :up:

I almost accidentally listened to their last album by mistake today, because I just picked up Travis' iPod to see if he had this one on it, but after one track, I figured it couldn't possibly be the one he was talking about and looked it up to see I was, in fact, correct :lol:.

I actually love NMH but I've never even once thought of Beirut in relation to them. But yeah, horns.

Back
Top Bottom