Beirut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I was young, I'd flee this town
I'd bury my dreams underground
As did I, we drink to die, we drink toniiIIiight

:love:

Well, it's 10:30 and I've been home from the Beirut show for about 30 minutes now. :huh: Gotta love a show that starts early and ends early on a work night, not to mention one that's 15 mins away. :applaud:

Anyway, it was really spectacular! I hadn't thought much about this show for some reason--busy, preoccupied, didn't know if I was up for the scene that I knew it would be, this being the so-called homecoming show and all. But I have to say, it was quite the joyful reverie on a perfect night at my favorite summer venue and every song was hands down better live than on the records. The band is amazing.

The tiny patio of this brewery was packed, with people sitting in trees, on top of the coyote fence (ouch!), climbing the light posts, and me, I stood on a most excellent rock above the sea of bobbing heads and fists, which was indeed the best seat in the house.

One little criticism: Zach should take a few tips from The Shins in showing a little graciousness and giving a little love to the hometown crowd. Not entirely unexpected since he disses NM in every interview, but c'mon, the place was packed with friends, family, neighbors, his former teachers, and just a bunch of people who love the music a little bit more because they come from the same town and all he had to say was, "It's really weird being here." :mad: Maybe it's his youth, or maybe he really did hate growing up here.

Or maybe he just gave us a great show and that was enough.

I don't know. But the music made me happy, and I left feeling satisfied, yet wanting more glockenspiel!

Oh, and I deliberately arrived an hour late in a sincere effort to miss the opening band, being against all opening bands, and yet somehow still managed to arrive right as the opening band was beginning. In fact, the Brunettes from New Zealand were great fun. :up:

:ohmy:

I am insanely jealous. What were the best songs of the night? How long did they play?

Yeah, I have to say I was surprised. They opened with Nantes which was just wonderful and then went right into one of my favorites, Brandenburg. Those two songs back to back were fantastic. Gulag Orkestar, Bratislava and Idle Days had way more oomph live than the record. And of course Postcards from Italy (which Zach introduced as Postcards from Truth or Consequences, ha ha NM joke) was extra lovely. I guess the best songs for me were the songs from Gulag because I like it better. A lot of the Flying Cup songs kind of sound alike to me, but still great. Everything was just crisper and tighter. Those guys can drink, too, but they never got sloppy. And it can't be easy blowing horns at 7,000 ft. if you're not used to it. They played some new songs (I gather the next project is Mexican influenced), and Zach sang something beautiful in Portuguese by an apparently famous Portuguese singer.

They didn't play very long, although I confess I slipped out halfway during the last encore, something I almost never do but I really wanted to beat the drunken crowd out of the disorganized parking fiasco, so it's possible they played more but it sounded like it was over. An hour and 20 mins maybe? It was short, but I felt satisfied. I heard all the songs I like.

Stumbled across some lovely high quality live mp3s from Radio France in 2007.

Aquarium Drunkard: MP3 Blog, Music Blog

and some cute pictures of Zach. He looks at least 13 here. :wink:
beirut-paris.jpg

Great find! I'll have to download and listen to them this weekend.

lol, I have a friend who actually can sing in zapotec, beautiful language

this is gonna be interesting

Weird, I just dl'd a bunch of Beirut songs today. He hosted NY Noise a year or so ago, and the music was so different. I always meant to check him out, and tonight I finally did. And then this thread was bumped. IT'S A SIGN!

They played some of the new songs when I saw them in June and they were great.

NSW, as U2popmofo rightly pointed out in the DeVotchka thread, if you like DeVotchka you will probably like Beirut. They're different yet weirdly similar, with Beirut having more of a gypsy sound than a rock sound. I don't even like gypsy music but I love Beirut.

amazing!!! and I'm seeing him in about a month

this new stuff sounds so mexican, I love it

btw, "La llorona" it's a famous legend here in Mexico (deeper than what Stereogum said in the article, it's about Malitzin and... wait, this is not Mexican History class), and there is also a song called "La llorona", about that legend, search for it, in the Lila Downs interpretation, is one of my favorite songs ever

Friday, February 6:
CBS: Late Show With David Letterman: Beirut

:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom