Beck's Sea Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great record, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than Odelay.

I like it a lot better than Mutations.

This was awesome in concert, with The Flaming Lips as his backing band.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but this album is one of the all-time most depressing things I know of. Artists like The Cure and Morrissey / The Smiths have always been labeled as being "depressing", this album makes most of what any of them have done sound like light hearted romps through a field of daisies. That's how depressing this album is. Still good, but yeah. You REALLY have to be in the right mood to make yourself listen to the entire thing.

'Golden Age' is my favorite thing that Beck's done. Fantastic song, fantastic album opener. It does a great job of setting the theme of the entire album. Great imagery, wonderful driving song. :up: :up: :up:

Great record, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than Odelay.

I like it a lot better than Mutations.

This was awesome in concert, with The Flaming Lips as his backing band.

I like it better than Odelay. But I have a dark soul and I have a dark cloud hovering over my head and breakups make me sad.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but this album is one of the all-time most depressing things I know of. Artists like The Cure and Morrissey / The Smiths have always been labeled as being "depressing", this album makes most of what any of them have done sound like light hearted romps through a field of daisies.

I haven't listened to this album but I'm sure I know some songs from it if they were on the radio and what-not. What were the singles off of this album?

And the text I quoted is interesting to me and reminded me of something. I'm really the only one out of my group of friends that likes Radiohead. When I make them listen to Ok Computer they label it "depressing"...

Radiohead are known as "that depressing band" amongst all my dumbass friends, it's weird. Has anyone else heard or seen of Radiohead labeled that way?

I haven't listened to this album but I'm sure I know some songs from it if they were on the radio and what-not. What were the singles off of this album?

The biggest hit was Lost Cause. I think Guess I'm Doing Fine got some airplay too, but I'm not sure.

My favorite track on this album is End Of The Day, actually.

Edited for being repetitive:

GAF, I hear a lot of bands labeled as being "depressing" or "sad" that I don't agree with. The two I previously mentioned (The Cure and The Smiths) are two that I think the label is completely unfair, inaccurate, and doesn't do either band any justice. I don't see Radiohead as being remotely depressing, whatev.

Last edited:

And the text I quoted is interesting to me and reminded me of something. I'm really the only one out of my group of friends that likes Radiohead. When I make them listen to Ok Computer they label it "depressing"...

Radiohead are known as "that depressing band" amongst all my dumbass friends, it's weird. Has anyone else heard or seen of Radiohead labeled that way?

Your friends are likely drunk, and alcohol is a depressive.

Radiohead, to me, for me, is not at all depressing music.

Sea Change, though, is a pretty fucking depressing album. Give it a listen, all the way through.

Edited for being repetitive:

GAF, I hear a lot of bands labeled as being "depressing" or "sad" that I don't agree with. The two I previously mentioned (The Cure and The Smiths) are two that I think the label is completely unfair, inaccurate, and doesn't do either band any justice. I don't see Radiohead as being remotely depressing, whatev.

I don't consider the Smiths all that depressing either. For every I Know It's Over, there's a catchy track like This Charming Man or Cemetry Gates, or something lyrically frivolous like Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.

I think I will give it a listen. I need to get around to listening to some more Beck, as right now I pretty much think of him as the goofy dude who wrote 'Loser' and 'Where It's At.'

And that song about giving God a haircut. Or was it the Devil? I don't remember.

"There is no design for life, there's no devil's haircut in my mind, there is not a wonderwall to climb or step around."

Loser and Mellow Gold in general is fucking awesome BTW. I may enjoy that record more than Odelay these days.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Yep. And it's an extremely humorous and weird debut at that.

Actually, Loser fits in great. All of the album is that strange, which is largely why I love it so.

anyone heard sea change in the 5.1 surround sound mix? takes on a whole new level of brilliant. i listen to it straight through in the surround sound every few months and it never disappoints.

anyone heard sea change in the 5.1 surround sound mix? takes on a whole new level of brilliant. i listen to it straight through in the surround sound every few months and it never disappoints.

That's the version I have (SACD). The texture and atmosphere really comes out much better in surround.

Back
Top Bottom