beck is insanely awesome...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
so let's talk about his music...

what's your favourite beck album?

The Information is my favorite, then Sea Change and Guero.

Loser and Devil's Haircut may be crazy awesome, but his best track is Cellphone's Dead.

great, great, great dance tune.

Sea Change is easily in my top 10 albums of all time, and given my mood it can find its way into my top 5.

So yeah. That's obviously my favorite.

Outside of that, ALL his stuff is excellent.

I'd rank the rest like this probably:

Mutations
Midnight Vultures
Guero
Odelay
The Information

...and the rest.

I :heart: Beck.

Beck is the man. I can't really say what album is my fave, he has so many different "sides" to him, it depends on my mood.

Sea Change is my fave today, that probably tells you what mood I'm in.:wink:

I was a VERY casual listener of Beck. I have "Mellow Gold" and "Odelay!", but I never really got into either.

Then, ok now DON'T LAUGH AT ME!, but this passed Valentine's Day, I was watching the very last episode of "Sex and the City", and HBO did two of those "show retrospectives", and you know how at the end of those retrospectives they always end with a "sad" song (think Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" at the end of the Seinfeld retrospective before the final Seinfeld episode). So HBO used "The Golden Age" for the final song in the "Sex and the City" retrospective, and I had never heard it before and I was just BLOWN away!

So I immediately ran out and bought "Sea Change", and it's really good (though "The Golden Age" IMO was the best song on there), so now I'm trying to figure out which Beck to get next.

Beck...what to say. He truly is a genius. One of my 5 favorite artists ever. My love of his music just grows. I love it all.

Album rankings:

1. Midnite Vultures
2. Sea Change
3. Odelay
4. The Information
5. Mellow Gold
6. Guero
7. Mutations
8. Stereopathetic Soul Manure
9. One Foot In The Grave
10. Guerolito

I saw him live last year. It was pretty sweet. A lot of Sea Change was played. :drool:

FitzChivalry said:

so now I'm trying to figure out which Beck to get next.

Anything is awesome, but Odelay has the hits.

Beck is fantastic. I like all of his albums to various degrees, but Guero is probably my favourite, simply because I like its variety and the songs are consistently great. I'm still waiting until the stupid JB Hi-Fi drops the price for Information, :mad:

I've seen Beck live on the Seachange tour and he was great; even though you could just feel that the audience was restless for him to get done with the slow melancholic stuff and play older funkier songs.

My favorite Beck album is his last good album, Midnite Vultures. He's my favorite artist of the 1990s, for sure, but I hate his (contemporary) so-called music with a burning passion, these days.

Salome said:
Odelay being his last great album

Seriously? I'm listening to Odelay right now and I'm trying to figure out what's so great about it :der:

Think I'm with Fitz on this one:

I have "Mellow Gold" and "Odelay!", but I never really got into either.

So I immediately ran out and bought "Sea Change", and it's really good

Maybe I should listen to that instead :hmm:

Sea Change is my favorite, with Guero and The Information close behind.

I got to see him on the Information tour in Nashville last fall at a 1500-capacity club. :drool: :drool: :drool:

I just discovered Lost cause and beautiful video too and i know that someone around here posted some sad Becks song as one of his fav or something...i just cant find it aynmore. Was it lost cause or something? I would REALLY like to hear it. It was about a gril i think, and very sad.

Here it is..i have found what iVe been looking for.
Here it is:
"Press my face up to the window
To see how warm it is inside
See the things that I’ve been missing
Missing all this time

It’s only lies that I’m living
It’s only tears that I’m crying
It’s only you that I’m losing
Guess I’m doing fine

Just curios which album is that

Your sorry eyes, they cut through bone.
They make it hard to leave you alone.
Leave you here wearing your wounds
Waving your guns at somebody new.

Baby you're lost
Baby you're lost
Baby you're a lost cause.

There's too many people you used to know
They see you coming, they see you go.
They know your secrets, and you know theirs
This town is crazy, but nobody cares.

Baby you're lost
Baby you're lost
Baby you're a lost cause.

I'm tired of fightin'
I'm tired of fightin'
Fighting for a lost cause

There's a place where you are going
You ain't never been before
There's no one laughing at your back now
No one standing at your door
Is that what you thought love was for?

It is a Sea change Love it love it love it

Both of the lyrics you posted are from Sea Change, Beck's "Breakup album". A personal favorite of mine as well.

Yup, the first song there is Guess i'm Doing Fine on the Sea Change album.

Salome said:

Odelay being his last great album

I agree. Sea Change is good but I never listen to it. Too melancholy...and I say that as someone who isn't exactly a wuss when it comes to melancholy, nor am I insistent that Beck must be fun. I just kind of got bored with it after a dozen or so listens. I still want to see him live, though. Had a 3rd row ticket last year but couldn't go. :mad:

I couldn't find a more recent Beck thread - how is that possible?

Anyway what is wrong with The Beck?

I saw him last night and while the music was fantastic, the energy from Beck and the band, and I use the word "energy" lightly, was basically nonexistent. Is Beck always like that? I mean, it was the most lifeless bunch of people I've ever seen. He didn't dance, he didn't smile once, he was just going through the motions. He looked completely bored with himself. Does the band just "play" over precorded music like a Moby show or what (if so, at least Moby can work a crowd)? I couldn't make sense of this explosion of sound juxtaposed with these lazy ass looking detached people. Waitresses have asked me if I wanted fries with that with more enthusiasm. I was pretty bummed out by the whole experience. Even Beck's body language - the long hair in his face, the hat, the baggy clothes the eyes always looking down - seemed like he wanted to disappear. When he sang "Loser" it wasn't even ironic - it was more like, yeah, just shoot him, they shoot horses don't they? Everything about it was hollow and empty and completely passionless. Yet I loved the songs.

Funny how I was so lukewarm on Sea Change when last night they were the only moments that seemed real. I actually almost left - I have a big meeting this morning and figured it was more fun to listen to Beck in the car - but I'm glad I stayed. He closed with E-Pro which did kind of bring the house down. The audience was as worshipful and receptive as any I've ever seen in NM. So maybe it was all just me. :shrug:

Devils Haircut video makes me want to combust!

LOVE IT!

and a fantastic song!

He opened with this. I think it's cool when an artist is touring to promote a record and they open with an old hit. :up: He did pour out the hits.

Maybe I'm just too old for two turntables and a microphone. :sigh:

2339172891_ec4dc895aa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom