Bat For Lashes (Natasha Khan)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
smiley-face-e1329497602550.jpg

I've been coming back to this album pretty frequently and I am going to do this.

JUST THE BEST
Laura
Outstanding
Lillies
All Your Gold
The Haunted Man
Marilyn
A Wall
Quite Good (Bomac's idea of "quite good")
Winter Fields
Oh Yeah
Pretty Ordinary
Horses of the Sun
Rest Your Head
Deep Sea Diver

There's a fair gap between quite good and pretty ordinary, which is a great shame, because JUST THE BEST and Outstanding put this into AOTY territory. I think it may still end up in my top five, those six tunes are just so good.

Interesting.

I'd rank as follows:

Sublime:
Winter Fields (Bass flute. Strings. Imagery that takes me back to my childhood. Holy shit, strings! By far my favourite track on the album.)
Laura
Lillies
Horses of the Sun
Marilyn
The Haunted Man

Good:
Deep Sea Diver
Rest Your Head (so much better live)

OK:
All Your Gold (I feel the urge to sing 'somebody that I used to know' every time I hear it)
A Wall

Seriously?:
Oh Yeah (just embarrassing, really)

Seeing this gorgeous lady live for the first time at a festival on Sunday. Hoping the crowd is respectful and Laura resonates as much as I hope it will.

And the other songs too, of course.

New album is great regardless, but there are so many other fantastic songs across the other two albums.

1. Two Suns (one of my favorite albums in general)
2. The Haunted Man (very good)
3. Fur and Gold (good sound, but inconsistent quality)

I do own Fur and Gold. Haven't listened to it a great deal though.

I'd say pay some attention to What's A Girl To Do?, The Wizard, and Bat's Mouth. Then go to Youtube and listen to Daniel, Pearl's Dream, and Glass. Should be good prep.

It's not that I don't love The Haunted Man, but yeah, nothing comes close to touching Two Suns for me.

I still like Fur and Gold the best.

Been listening to the new album a lot. I like it a great deal, but it's one of those albums where nothing else on it clicks with me quite as much as the first song I've heard, which was Laura. Bloody love that song.

I had a fantastic listen to Haunted Man at like 5 this morning. The songs between Lillies and Laura are my least favorites, which is unfortunate, but from Laura on this album is great.

Cobbler, you heard Two Suns yet, bitch?

That stretch includes All Your Gold, which is fucking awesome.

Yes, yes it is.

Speaking of Two Suns, Glass will always be my favorite track from it, but Sleep Alone is really making a push for my Natasha Khan pantheon.

I've been waiting months for Natasha to play some East Coast shows and she will be this Fall . . . opening for Depeche Mode. So if I want to see her I gotta drop three bills and drag out to a shit hole amphitheater in the sticks. Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Martin Gore, but the new album is a bit meh and they weren't that great when I saw them 8 years ago.

....oh....my....God.....

I needed something like this to get me to Depeche Mode. Holy crap.

I've borderline hated some of the tracks she's released ahead of this. I'm almost scared to listen to it, going to be bummed out if it's as disappointing as I'm expecting.

I cannot fathom what in the pre-released songs could possibly have caused such a visceral reaction.

I'd say it's her most sedate work to date, really showcasing the vocals above all else. My first impression was very positive, but then again I love everything about her.

This suggests an album full of Lauras :love::hyper:

Gave it a listen today, happy to say that it's pretty good. There were only 3 or 4 songs i didn't like much on first listen (2 of which were songs I was already familiar with).

What were the songs you hate and why so much?

I bought it today and had a listen. I'm not really sure how to feel. Objectively it's quite lovely and stately, but it's also interminable at times. It absolutely feels like a soundtrack or companion piece to a film (which she plans to make, having already made a short film called I Do), not an album. So I'm a bit puzzled at its existence, it feels tied to a film of some sort that doesn't exist; the entire thing, from the concept (bride is excited, groom runs off, dies, bride flees to find herself, finds herself, turns the corner) to the lyrics to the music and mood, to the flow of the concept, feels like a film. And the lyrics and story, given they feel so televisual, come off as kind of cloying on record. It would work well on film, but lyrically it just feels a bit basic/played-out.

I look forward to sitting down with it a bit more. The combo of If I Knew and I Will Love Again is really beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom