Bang and Clatter Listening Party #3: Modest Mouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
New listening party. Modest Mouse. Cos I have known and loved Float On for years but know nothing else and they are quite beloved. I have just hit play on Good News For People Who Love Bad News.

Mofo's stupid rules:

Rules:

1. Listen to the artist, be it one song, or their entire discography.
2. Discuss whatever you've listened to.
3. Don't be a dick, or least not more of a dick than the rest of us.
4. Once we're ready, we'll move on to another artist.

Nobody wants to listen to your stupid band.

Guess I'll listen to Good News next, I've only heard it once.

Do you have to know the album well to watch the doco?

The World At Large is good. But it sounds like a slowed-down Float On. And he can sing normally!

I'm well versed in Good News and We Were Dead, but I need to spend more time with No One's First and You're Next. And then dive into the back catalogue.

Cobbz, if you don't like Bury Me With It or The View on first listen, I'm going to fly to Australia tonight to deliver a punching and/or insulting.

Haha. Finished now, happy to report I rather enjoyed both those tracks! The former reminded me of Architecture in Helsinki a bit.

Real good stuff I thought, I could probably do without Bukowski, Devil's Workday, Satin in a Coffin (pretty much all the tracks that had banjo on it) but a good album. The Good Times Are Killing Me (featuring "Additional Instrumentation by The Flaming Lips") will get stuck in my head.

What are your fav tracks?

World At Large, Float On, Ocean Breathes Salty, Bury Me With It, The View, Satin in a Coffin, The Good Times Are Killing Me, etc.

You had me at Ocean Breathes Salty.

Huge fan of Modest Mouse. I've seen them live a couple times, once when Johnny Marr was touring with them. That was fun.

My favorite song of theirs is Night on the Sun from Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks.

I haven't listened to them in quite some time. Glad this thread caused me to do so.

My favorite song of theirs is Night on the Sun from Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks.

This is a nice song. I haven't listened to that EP nearly enough, aside from Here It Comes. Just realized when looking through my collection that I have the Building Nothing Out of Something compilation, and have never listened to it.

Everywhere and his Nasty Parlor Tricks is one of my favorite EPs. It doesn't change the Moon and Antarctica track listing for me all that much, but more music from that period can only be a good thing.

Building Nothing out of Something is one of their essential releases, I like it more than most of their albums.

Damn they were brilliant through 2000 or so.

Just ordered Building Nothing out of Something. I'll have thoughts on it in a few days.

We'll be listening to it at pretty much the same time then, as I still haven't listened to my copy aside from the "bigger name" tracks.

Back
Top Bottom