Bang and Clatter Listening Party #1: Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Rules:

1. Listen to the artist, be it one song, or their entire discography.
2. Discuss whatever you've listened to.
3. Don't be a dick, or least not more of a dick than the rest of us.
4. Once we're ready, we'll move on to another artist.

As chosen by DB, our first listening party will be dedicated to Depeche Mode. Enjoy.
the silence

Judging by those rules you posted, aren't all threads here listening parties? We're always listening to something and discussing about it. :wink:

When I saw the title, I thought this thread was a listening party for their new album or something.

I think it's good to carve this out from Random. People tend to get testy when one artist gets discussed ad infinitum in there.

I'm going to start with Speak and Spell, which I probably haven't listened to in one go since 1990, the year I had the fanboy roommate. I may jump to Sounds of the Universe next, which is one I'm not really familiar with.

I almost feel like giving Violator another try, but I just never seem to like that album.

Which should I hear next: Ultra or Some Great Reward? If it helps, I greatly prefer Black Celebration to Songs of Faith and Devotion.

The answer then is definitely Some Great Reward, which I would say is a direct sonic precursor to Black Celebration.

Ultra is the far superior album, though. :wink:

I don't know, I just seem to like DM's early stuff the most. Black Celebration and Music For The Masses are both really good albums, whereas Violator is occasionally brilliant but has tracks I don't care for. I need to hear Songs of Faith and Devotion again but it didn't do much for me on first listen.

Speak and Spell is really bad, but in a good way. Harmless, cheese-tastic synthpop.

I'll go listen to just can't get enough. That's really the only one I know that I like.

That and personal Jesus make up the other two songs I know. There might be two or three others I've heard, I know there's at least one from a DI mix, but I wouldn't recognize them unless they punched me in the face. And even then it's debatable.

Wouldn't it make more sense to all be listening to the same album?

Or is the idea for each person to listen to an album they haven't heard yet?

Tell it to do its worst. I didn't say I wouldn't hit back, though.

Wouldn't it make more sense to all be listening to the same album?

Or is the idea for each person to listen to an album they haven't heard yet?

That's what I don't understand. What's the difference between this thread and a stand-alone artist thread?

Mr Brau will be so proud you've brought back B&C listening parties. Now just make sure your selections could be a microcosm of the United Nations.

Apparently Martin Gore is half-African, or so he has said in a few interviews. Personally, I find that hard to believe.

Blasphemous Rumours is easily the best song on Some Great Reward. Great track.

Another personal favorite of mine from them.

I know a number of their songs, but I've not heard an album in full (though it sounds like nearly every single song off Violator was a hit at some point, so I may well have heard that album in full at various points over the years). So I think I'll start with that one and the one that has "A Question of Lust" on it.

I do like the idea of everyone listening to the same album, too, though.

Back
Top Bottom