Bang and Clatter Listening Party #1: Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oops. :reject:

Yeah, Wikipedia wasn't working for me and I didn't actually make it to the link. Plus, someone said "maybe not" about it being Anton so I took that to mean that no one had found out for sure. I fail at the internets.

My DM opinion for the moment is that "Dangerous" is one of their all time best songs. I can't get over how well-executed it is.

I'm just busting your balls ;)

Interesting choice. I haven't listened to Dangerous for so long! Almost forgot about it. this was my favourite b-side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQa_baPD0Lk

I've tried to like Violator in the past but it just bored me.

So yeah, which album should I try next?

Depends whether you want something synthier or rockier. For the former, go with Black Celebration. For the latter, Songs of Faith and Devotion is an excellent choice.

I plan on listening to Songs of Faith tonight after work. Maybe Ultra as well. It's been a long time since I've listened to the first and I've never heard the latter.

That's what I don't understand. What's the difference between this thread and a stand-alone artist thread?

I think it would have made more sense had an artist who didn't already have a thread on the front page would have been chosen. More or less the point is just to attempt to get many of us who wouldn't normally be posting in the artist thread to listen to the group at the same time to increase discussion, or introduce us to some albums or songs we may have not heard. If it doesn't work or make much sense, we won't do another one.

I listened to Violator and the first disc of 101 yesterday. I hadn't listened to Violator as an album in quite some time. Halo and Clean are two tracks I usually never go out of my way to hear individually, but need to more. Really enjoyed both of those.

101 is probably one of my favorite live albums of any artist. Really, really enjoy it.

So I've re-listened to Songs of Faith and Devotion. Wow. Absolutely blown away by how good this album is, from beginning to end.

The first three songs make up the best opening trilogy in Depeche Mode’s entire discography for me. “I Feel You” is an absolute monster, a song with a grunge attitude that doesn’t sound anything like the genre. That bluesy riff is dirty in the best way. “Walking In My Shoes” still stands as one of the band’s best songs. Everything about it clicks perfectly. The distorted keyboard that kicks things off, the lyrics, the way the whole song builds to the final chorus, all excellent. “Condemnation” has one of Gahan’s best vocal performances of his career. Everything about the sound feels so organic, which adds weight to Gahan’s emotional vocals.

The rest is just as good. “Mercy In You” could have easily been a huge hit single too. “Judas” is a gorgeously laid-back tune that brings out another great vocal from Gore. I love those pipes in the beginning. “In Your Room” surprisingly took a while to grow on me, but that chorus is undeniably great, especially when combined with that rhythm. “Get Right With Me” is one of the most industrial songs the band has ever done, just based on the drums alone. I love when the guitar comes up after Gahan says the song title. To put it simply, “Rush” is a complete rush. A kickass album track to keep the second half going strong. I would love to hear the band play this one again. “One Caress” manages to make those strings sound both beautiful and really haunting. A slightly creepy song that keeps you coming back to listen again. While “Higher Love” is my least favorite song on the record, I think it’s a better closer than “Clean” and it definitely builds to a satisfying conclusion.

Yeah, after listening to it now, I can definitely say this is my favorite DM album out of the ones I’ve heard, which are Music for the Masses, Violator, Exciter, Playing the Angel and Sounds of the Universe. It’s really a shame that Alan Wilder left after this record, because combined with Violator, it really showed Depeche Mode reaching their peak potential and I don’t think they’ve had that as consistently a three-piece. I’m really glad I gave this album another listen.

Some thoughts after my own. personal. playing the angel listening party.

Really good stuff from the get-go, peaking at Precious. I keep listening to the record, thinking the second half will improve, but it never does. The awesomeness that is Precious, though, helps me to forgive.

depeche mode is one of my favourite bands. i like all their albums up to ultra. they just weren't the same after alan wilder left. my favourite album is probably a broken frame or black celebration. i thought listening parties had everyone listen to a specific album at a particular time?

So I've re-listened to Songs of Faith and Devotion. Wow. Absolutely blown away by how good this album is, from beginning to end.

The first three songs make up the best opening trilogy in Depeche Mode’s entire discography for me. “I Feel You” is an absolute monster, a song with a grunge attitude that doesn’t sound anything like the genre. That bluesy riff is dirty in the best way. “Walking In My Shoes” still stands as one of the band’s best songs. Everything about it clicks perfectly. The distorted keyboard that kicks things off, the lyrics, the way the whole song builds to the final chorus, all excellent. “Condemnation” has one of Gahan’s best vocal performances of his career. Everything about the sound feels so organic, which adds weight to Gahan’s emotional vocals.

The rest is just as good. “Mercy In You” could have easily been a huge hit single too. “Judas” is a gorgeously laid-back tune that brings out another great vocal from Gore. I love those pipes in the beginning. “In Your Room” surprisingly took a while to grow on me, but that chorus is undeniably great, especially when combined with that rhythm. “Get Right With Me” is one of the most industrial songs the band has ever done, just based on the drums alone. I love when the guitar comes up after Gahan says the song title. To put it simply, “Rush” is a complete rush. A kickass album track to keep the second half going strong. I would love to hear the band play this one again. “One Caress” manages to make those strings sound both beautiful and really haunting. A slightly creepy song that keeps you coming back to listen again. While “Higher Love” is my least favorite song on the record, I think it’s a better closer than “Clean” and it definitely builds to a satisfying conclusion.

Yeah, after listening to it now, I can definitely say this is my favorite DM album out of the ones I’ve heard, which are Music for the Masses, Violator, Exciter, Playing the Angel and Sounds of the Universe. It’s really a shame that Alan Wilder left after this record, because combined with Violator, it really showed Depeche Mode reaching their peak potential and I don’t think they’ve had that as consistently a three-piece. I’m really glad I gave this album another listen.

Nice write-up. Personally I'd go out of my way to note that on the same album they get down and dirty with the electric guitar, they also explore gospel on both Condemnation and Get Right With Me (the latter a more experimental hybrid). The vocals by Gahan those songs are great, but the styles of the melodies themselves are a real departure for the band. And then you have One Caress: Martin Gore has performed before with little accompaniment, but I'm pretty sure it's the first time the only music comes from an orchestra.

I know some people have questioned the premise of this thread, but I like it and just wanted to say so. We may not all be listening to the same thing at the same time, but I do enjoy that we're all spinning Depeche Mode and talking about it. :up:

Moving ahead to Violator now. :up:

I'm also down with this thread, nice job. Listened to Songs of Faith and Devotion at work today and I have nothing to add after reading Joey788's great post. Violator tomorrow.

Ya, simply calling it a listening party got people in the mood to throw an album on. Had the Depeche Mode thread simply been resurrected, it would've got a hit or two and nothing more. It definitely serves a purpose

That was pleasant enough on first listen. I definitely enjoyed the first half of the album better than the second. I'm not sure Depeche Mode is totally up my alley, which is why I never listened in the first place. But this was by no means bad and is deserving of another spin. It's piqued my interest enough to check out another album or two that people have been recommending in here.

We'd probably be able to recommend the next one based on what you liked and disliked. Violator, for example, is "cleaner" and a bit more downbeat overall.

If you really, really liked I Feel You, then going ahead to Ultra might be the best bet.

I just listened to SOFAD as well. I like the single version of "In Your Room" (which I'm most familiar with) better than the album version. I hadn't heard the second half of the album more than a couple times, but "Rush" and "Higher Love" are both quality tracks.

It's amazing how different this album sounds from say "Music For The Masses" just two albums earlier.

We'd probably be able to recommend the next one based on what you liked and disliked. Violator, for example, is "cleaner" and a bit more downbeat overall.

If you really, really liked I Feel You, then going ahead to Ultra might be the best bet.
I liked I Feel You, but I think Higher Love was my favorite on first listen.

It's amazing how different this album sounds from say "Music For The Masses" just two albums earlier.

There were definitely changes before and after, but I feel like there's a definite demarcation line between Music for the Masses and Violator. They became a much more mature band

What album do I need to start with, having heard only people are people, just can't get enough, personal jesus, and one other I can't remember, when just can't get enough is the only one I really liked?

None. You'll hate them all

(But maybe Speak and Spell if you like the super poppy stuff. It can get pretty cheesy though)

Actually, listen to Music for the Masses

:applaud: Enjoyed reading your post. You described pretty well why Songs of Faith and Devotion is my favourite DM album.

Giving Violator another chance now. I'll try Songs of Faith and Devotion after that.

I really want to join in, but I have to use personal hotspot on my iPhone to get internet at this new place and don't want to download on it in case my next phone bill is thousands.

I have my last ever uni exam on Thursday so maybe as a parting gift I will download heaps of stuff on their wifi.

Soon...

Back
Top Bottom