Bang and Clatter Listening Party #1: Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People Are People has horrible lyrics but an absolute knockout chorus.

I still remember the day my brother and I finally figured out what he was singing in the last line of this bit

So far it hasn't surfaced
But I'm sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist

Speak and Spell sounds a little dated to me now, but still OMGSYNTHPOP.

Listening to Music For The Masses now which is clearly a much more mature album.

Different song writers. Vince Clarke leaving was the best thing to ever happen to them.

Did you know the Yaz song Only You was almost a Depeche Mode song?

Violator. I have stated my love for this album many times, and I still think it might be the finest album of the 90s. It's at least in the top three for me. Listening to it again right now, I am struck by how immaculately paced the whole thing is. The transition from Waiting for the Night to Enjoy the Silence, for example, shifts the tempo abruptly, but nonetheless it feels completely seamless. And that's really the brilliance of this album: the sterility and mechanism of the production juxtaposes perfectly with the humanity of the lyrics: mainly the pain in yearning for something that is always just beyond your reach.

Erasure has a couple fabulously gay songs (not to mention making Robot Unicorn Attack the greatest internet game ever released), but they don't hold a candle to Depeche Mode.

I noticed you guys were wondering about the "One Caress" video. It was directed by Kevin Kerslake.

As per the wikipedia link :wink:

But stay. Give us some DM opinions. If you want to talk about Erasure you can giiiiiiiiiit out

As per the wikipedia link :wink:

But stay. Give us some DM opinions. If you want to talk about Erasure you can giiiiiiiiiit out
Oops. :reject:

Yeah, Wikipedia wasn't working for me and I didn't actually make it to the link. Plus, someone said "maybe not" about it being Anton so I took that to mean that no one had found out for sure. I fail at the internets.

My DM opinion for the moment is that "Dangerous" is one of their all time best songs. I can't get over how well-executed it is.

Beautiful Martin Gore track, equally beautiful Anton Corbijn video:

Depeche Mode - One Caress (U.S. Video) - YouTube

Two thumbs up for this one! This is one of those songs that puts SOFAD above Violator for me.

As for Erasure... :wink: Not as good as DM but I like many of their songs... Who Needs Love Like That, A Little Respect, Always and others I'm forgetting right now.

Back
Top Bottom