Bands that never topped track #1 on album #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it weird I thought you were talking about this at first?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_sAHh9s08

I may or may not like this song quite a bit...

When I was in grade 9, my science teacher asked me to go to the board and figure out a chemistry equation in front of the class (I didnt do anything bad, it was part of her teaching method). Anyway, as I was working it out, I sang the haaayyyiay oooh ohhooh ooooh aiyyyyaaah part of return to innocence. She didnt say anything, but on my report card that semester, she wrote a note saying that I sang at inappropriate times during class

I'm kind of attached to the album because I listened to it a lot during my first trip to Japan

Tokyo will never forget the day G-dzilla attacked.

Godzilla_biographycopy.jpg

Anyway, as I was working it out, I sang the haaayyyiay oooh ohhooh ooooh aiyyyyaaah part of return to innocence. She didnt say anything, but on my report card that semester, she wrote a note saying that I sang at inappropriate times during class

That's funny, because myself and a couple friends would just sing that exact part of the song out at random moments. No one else we knew listened to Enigma and understood what we were doing, but we just found it hilarious.

Collective Soul's "Shine" was Track 1 on Album 1 and is still their highest charting single as a band.

I don't imagine there are a lot of CS fans here.

Is it weird I thought you were talking about this at first?

YouTube - Enigma - Return To Innocence

I may or may not like this song quite a bit...

Oh my God, I have an anecdote about that song. In short, I have owned the original Pure Moods album since I was about 10 years old. I mean, I literally still have it. Like it's right there on my bookshelf within arms reach of me right now.

Collective Soul's "Shine" was Track 1 on Album 1 and is still their highest charting single as a band.

I don't imagine there are a lot of CS fans here.

No where near my favorite song by them, but that is interesting to note.

This is a bold claim, especially considering that "New Dawn Fades" appears only a few tracks later.

it's not a bold claim. it's a bullshit.

for a while i thought the postal service fit on this list, because i loved "the district sleeps alone tonight" and couldn't stand anything else on the album. i've since changed my mind though, and while i still absolutely love that song, i love "recycled air," and "sleeping in" equally, plus i can tolerate "such great heights," and rather enjoy the rest of the album.

hmm. the only thing i can really think of is the specials. the self-titled album is the only one worth hearing, and while "doesn't make it alright" and "little bitch" aren't horrible, the only song from them anyone ever needs to hear is "a message to you rudy."

I of the Mourning is good stuff, too, yes. I'm a big Age of Innocence fan as well.

i of the mourning is great.

that's actually the only pumpkins album i own. it's the only time i've ever been able to tolerate billy corgan for multiple songs in succession.

hmm. the only thing i can really think of is the specials. the self-titled album is the only one worth hearing, and while "doesn't make it alright" and "little bitch" aren't horrible, the only song from them anyone ever needs to hear is "a message to you rudy."

I'm a big fan of Monkey Man and Do the Dog (not the donkey, IWB). Message To You Rudy is def the best though.

I'm a big fan of Monkey Man and Do the Dog (not the donkey, IWB). Message To You Rudy is def the best though.

i could have sworn that the theme song on the show with the bald guy on the travel channel who eats weird shit was part of "do the dog." re-recorded by something else, but it sounded like it.

It's not the first song on the album, so no.

I was just saying, hypothetically, since you brought up a cover. like, if a cover they do is better than the first song on the first album, does that get them off the list?.. I dont even know why I bothered to ask though, cause I dont really care

I like both songs equally :).

"Message" is indeed a fantastic song, but "Ghost Town", anyone?

Angela

In the end, this type of scenario will mostly apply to one-hit wonders where the one hit was the leadoff track (as LM alluded to in his original post). Something like Thomas Dolby's She Blinded Me With Science would be a good example (although that album is pretty damn good), or Timbuk 3's The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades.

I agree with Joy Division, even though I obviously don't think that they had some sort of post-"Disorder" precipitous drop-off.

I was just saying, hypothetically, since you brought up a cover. like, if a cover they do is better than the first song on the first album, does that get them off the list?.. I dont even know why I bothered to ask though, cause I dont really care

Hypothetically, you should shut your damn mouth!

Back
Top Bottom