Bands that never topped track #1 on album #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But isnt that the whole point of the thread? :(

I am sorry, by saying it was third album would you agreeing with my point about the Verve or disaproving it? I think it's unforunate that they still didn't have on #1 track on their third try. But I don't think it makes it not count that it was on their third album. Is this thread only about #1 album that are not #1 single topper only on their first attempt? I am just a little confused, that's all. Please clarify.

It's about bands that havent topped the very first track on their very first album. So the Verve wouldn't qualify in that sense (nor would the Smashing Pumpkins).

:)

It's about bands that havent topped the very first track on their very first album. So the Verve wouldn't qualify in that sense (nor would the Smashing Pumpkins).

:)

OK, people were refering to SP, so I thought it didn't matter. Thanks for clearing that up. :up:

Laz corrected him

2775943-1.jpg

I wouldn't qualify Oasis into the picture. But I do believe "Rock N Roll Star" is one of Oasis's best songs, not the best. "Up in the Sky" and "Live Forever" are better in my opinion. But I do believe Oasis started off Defintely, Maybe with a bang and it is very close to being one of their best songs. It is full energy and the guitar solo at the end just says, "this is Oasis, we are rock n roll stars and we don't give a f***." And they did just become that for better or for worse. It split two brothers apart but it made britpop an american icon.

This thread actually brings up an interesting theory that my brother mentioned to me when we were younger; Bands that start off with huge instant success are often the ones that drop off fairly quickly. Specifically, he mentioned Oasis before Be Here Now came out and sure enough, he was right. Interpol seem to have done a bit of the same. I was a Stereophonics fan back in the day.. same thing with them. I'm sure part of it has to do with the whole 'you've got your whole life to write your first album and 2 years to write your second' thing. But on top of that, with a band like the National that has more or less grown with each album, it's a matter of them starting off really good, then getting better at crafting their songs. I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore... just got me thinking

This thread actually brings up an interesting theory that my brother mentioned to me when we were younger; Bands that start off with huge instant success are often the ones that drop off fairly quickly. Specifically, he mentioned Oasis before Be Here Now came out and sure enough, he was right. Interpol seem to have done a bit of the same. I was a Stereophonics fan back in the day.. same thing with them. I'm sure part of it has to do with the whole 'you've got your whole life to write your first album and 2 years to write your second' thing. But on top of that, with a band like the National that has more or less grown with each album, it's a matter of them starting off really good, then getting better at crafting their songs

I totally agree. In my opinion, Oasis started to go downhill after Morning Glory. Those are their best two albums. I think success got to them really badly. I admit, I never bought anything past Be Here now but based on their singles from later records I heard I am impressed and I still love Oasis. But I never got that "wow" factor like I did with hearing their singles on the radio from their first two records. So I never bought any of their new stuff. It's such a shame how it pulled two brothers apart who were practically best friends on Definitely, Maybe and now they will never speak to each other. :(

Even Smashing Pumpkins went downhill after Mellon Collie.

Here's an interesting one

Arcade Fire - Tunnels

I think that says more about that song than it does about their output since

There's truth in this.

Neon Bible has great moments, and The Suburbs is a wonderful work, but this band will ALWAYS be remembered for Funeral. No matter what. They'll never top it, as unfortunate as that is. And Tunnels will be one of those songs they're remembered for. (Along with Rebellion, Wake Up, etc.)

It's such a shame how it pulled two brothers apart who were practically best friends on Definitely, Maybe and now they will never speak to each other. :(

1. The Bros. Gallagher were never best friends. That was always a volatile relationship.
2. Never speak to each other? You don't think they'll cash in on the big "Oasis Reunion!" in like 10 or 15 years or so? Take it to the bank, it will happen. Maybe even sooner than that.

There's truth in this.

Neon Bible has great moments, and The Suburbs is a wonderful work, but this band will ALWAYS be remembered for Funeral. No matter what. They'll never top it, as unfortunate as that is. And Tunnels will be one of those songs they're remembered for. (Along with Rebellion, Wake Up, etc.)

I disagree with this. I think, from this point on, they'll be known more for The Suburbs than Funeral.

In my opinion, Oasis started to go downhill after Morning Glory.

This is about as close to a fact that you can get in a subjective topic like music quality. I'm probably one of the very few people outside the UK who has liked everything that Oasis has done, but there is no way that I would claim that any of their subsequent albums rival Morning Glory.

Siamese Dream isn't the Smashing Pumpkins' first album.

FAIL.

Also, the Jesus and Mary Chain topped Just Like Honey over and over again, same with Guns & Roses. Welcome to the Jungle is probably my least favorite song on Side One of that album.

I agree with all of this. Jesus and Mary Chain got better and better, I think.

Stone Roses - I think Elephant Stone and Waterfalls are both better songs than I Wanna Be Adored. I Am The Resurrection is close.

Here's an interesting one

Arcade Fire - Tunnels

I think that says more about that song than it does about their output since

The album is amazing, and between Tunnels, Rebellion and Wake Up, I would pick a different favorite everytime I was asked. But to say they never got better than than track 1 on album 1 would be incorrect regardless.

Tunnels is an interesting choice, but I think Haiti, Rebellion and possibly Power Out are the better choices in Funeral.

Fleet Foxes may be interesting in a few years. White Winter Hymnal (granted, it's #2 in the album) could become their best song (Mykonos being a close second).

Fleet Foxes may be interesting in a few years. White Winter Hymnal (granted, it's #2 in the album) could become their best song (Mykonos being a close second).

White Winter Hymnal is far from my favourite song on that album (I realize this thread is nothing but opinion. just saying)

Either way, I think its a little premature (and downright mean!!! :madwife:) to lump them in here

I also love Blue Ridge Mountains, but I think White Winter Hymnal sets the stage for the whole album.

Back
Top Bottom