Bands that Changed so Much You Feel Personally Betrayed By Them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
What's one more good really negative thread, eh?

Topic is in the title, what bands did you love at one point, but then they changed to the point that you almost can't even enjoy the music you once did?

My example: Fall Out Boy. Say what you will, their first two albums were really great pop / punk. Then they had to go a hit, and turned into...hell, I don't know what the fuck this is, someone explain it to me.

Before:

After:

Not all of these artists are still active, but all of them I'm utterly incapable of relating to in terms of musical taste or lyrical content after previously enjoying them:

Muse
Coldplay
Bloc Party
fun.
Kid Cudi
Kings of Leon
The Morning Benders/POP ETC.
My Chemical Romance

Fall Out Boy went from decent to one of the worst bands on the planet.

Last edited:
Kings Of Leon is a nice call. For years there has been a very vocal group of KOL dissenters on this board. But Aha Shake Heartbreak is a damn good album. They're soft and pudgy and lame now, though. No question.

Hate me all you want for saying this but Nickelback. Their first album wasn't actually awful and they seemed to have some potential. At the time I was more into that new rawk sound and liked a couple of their singles from the debut album. Then everything else that came after that was complete shit and they were basically exposed for having little talent yet were forced upon all of us.

In the end, they probably never would have been anything great, but I remember feeling somewhat excited for their 2nd album back in the day.

I don't feel personally betrayed by it or even angry or anything other than disappointment, but Muse for sure.

Hate me all you want for saying this but Nickelback. Their first album wasn't actually awful and they seemed to have some potential. At the time I was more into that new rawk sound and liked a couple of their singles from the debut album. Then everything else that came after that was complete shit and they were basically exposed for having little talent yet were forced upon all of us.

In the end, they probably never would have been anything great, but I remember feeling somewhat excited for their 2nd album back in the day.

Your soul is now officially beyond any reclamation, mikal.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but I honestly liked a few songs off that first big album, and then, holy shit, what a trainwreck :crack:.

I've heard rumors about Nickelback not sucking at one point in their career, but I don't believe them.

Muse and U2 are definitely good answers to this thread.

But none sticks out more to me than Anathema. How the hell you go from being one of the finest purveyors of dark and melancholic alt rock (with a doom metal background) to recording faux spiritual twinkly bullshit with unbearable new age lyrics is beyond me.

Before:

After ("everything is energy and energy is you and me", fucking PLEASE, and that dramatic "I... chose... loooove!" is astonishingly cringeworthy):

I'm tempted to say Arcade Fire, although

a. They're not awful, even now
b. They haven't so much changed as, I dunno, gone around in circles and never fulfilled what I assumed was their promise early on. Win Butler talks about being the biggest band in the world, jesus guys, you've been around longer than U2 had circa Achtung Baby.

Muse. Ha, oh God. Incredibly I had a copy of whatever that one with Muscle Museum on it was, their first album. I guess there was a time when I thought they were ok.

I'm tempted to say Arcade Fire, although

a. They're not awful, even now
b. They haven't so much changed as, I dunno, gone around in circles and never fulfilled what I assumed was their promise early on. Win Butler talks about being the biggest band in the world, jesus guys, you've been around longer than U2 had circa Achtung Baby.

I did find myself enjoying Reflektor WAY less than any of their other albums.

Kings Of Leon is a nice call. For years there has been a very vocal group of KOL dissenters on this board. But Aha Shake Heartbreak is a damn good album. They're soft and pudgy and lame now, though. No question.

rock_pigeon.jpg

Leader of Men is actually a pretty decent song off their first album. I didn't believe my friend when he told me that this was the same band responsible for How You Remind Me:

My nomination is 50 Cent. He was actually a talented rapper with an album ready to go before he got shot 9 times, then decided to scrap the album and rewrite the whole thing as a pop-rap cash grab.

Before:

After:

Although "personally betrayed" is a bit of a stretch, the guy has talent and it sucks that he didn't use it fully.

Leader of Men is actually a pretty decent song off their first album. I didn't believe my friend when he told me that this was the same band responsible for How You Remind Me:

My nomination is 50 Cent. He was actually a talented rapper with an album ready to go before he got shot 9 times, then decided to scrap the album and rewrite the whole thing as a pop-rap cash grab.

Before:

After:

Although "personally betrayed" is a bit of a stretch, the guy has talent and it sucks that he didn't use it fully.

I think Leader of Men is off their 2nd album "State". Mikals post made me listen to snippets of Nicklebacks first album from 1996, "Curb".

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think Leader of Men is off their 2nd album "State". Mikals post made me listen to snippets of Nicklebacks first album from 1996, "Curb".

Well then I shall defer to you in your superior knowledge of Nickelback.

I know it was out before they turned into Canadian Creed.

The Black Keys.

I found them at Attack and Release, which I loved, then worked backwards to get to Rubber Factory, which is an all-time favorite record. So good. Then they discovered radio airplay and it was all over. Pop songs, arena-friendly crap. I do take it personally.

Metallica, when "the black album" came out. Hooked up with a new, more mainstream producer and started recording shorter-length, radio-friendly songs.

Metallica, when "the black album" came out. Hooked up with a new, more mainstream producer and started recording shorter-length, radio-friendly songs.

I'd argue it was Load that changed them. The Black album was still pretty fucking heavy

I sort of felt this way with R.E.M. in the mid '00's. I spent a few years wishing they had called it quits when Berry left...but Accelerate and Collapse Into Now redeemed their career somewhat.

I'd argue it was Load that changed them. The Black album was still pretty fucking heavy

It was heavy, but it wasn't fast. They totally abandoned thrash.

Not to mention that video for Nothing Else Matters where we see them recording the song in the studio, and Hetfield is singing through a fucking microphone screen. Really? The whole thing is too clean.

With Load, clearly they were attempting to court the alternative crowd, with the Anton Corbijn photography and the makeup and the weird video. But they already had an eye on the marketplace with the previous album.

It is pretty hilarious if you listen to Dead on Arrival and that Uma Thurman song back to back. Because what the ever loving fuck. And I say this as someone who actually enjoyed up to Folie a Deux.

I expected someone to say The Black Keys, because what did happen to that band. Yikes.

Pretty sure the Dropkick Murphys are the only band whose change I took personally. I'd like to say I didn't, but that's pretty well documented at this point.

Muse. Bellamy's lyrics are so very bad now.

Coldplay. Lyrics not as bad as Muse, but the production is beyond awful. Way too poppy now, and not good pop.

Lady Gaga. Her last album was so bad. But we will always have Bad Romance, which is probably favorite pop song, ever.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

It is pretty hilarious if you listen to Dead on Arrival and that Uma Thurman song back to back. Because what the ever loving fuck. And I say this as someone who actually enjoyed up to Folie a Deux.

When I saw them live, I spent the entire time cringing at nearly everything they did. A music video accompanied one of the new tracks on the video boards of a bunch of "goth" and "punk" teenagers in love. It was really, really pathetic.

Nearly as pathetic as seeing Blink 182 the next night and them playing almost all "new" material and actually skipping major singles from the early years.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/blink182/2013/humboldt-park-chicago-il-23c77c5b.html

Back
Top Bottom