Bands that Changed so Much You Feel Personally Betrayed By Them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kind of feel the same way about AFI that I feel about the Alkaline Trio, although a lesser extent. AFI had more than 1 good album, 1 ok album, and then total garbage before and after those two albums (especially after Crimson, the stuff after was particularly trash). Black Sails and Sing the Sorrow are the only two AFI albums I ever feel compelled to listen to any more. But I don't dislike their earlier stuff nor hate their later stuff as much as I do with the Alkaline Trio.

That is another good example. The drop off after Crimson, WTF.

I've been really disappointed with recent Black Rebel Motorcycle Club as well, but haven't given up yet.

Montrose rock. Van Hager..? not necessarily. DLR era songs rock, but van hager era doesn't have songs. come on, DLR era has this:

The Hagar era had some good rock, but most of it was overlooked and radio/MTV etc. focused on the poppier stuff, but even the rocking Hagar era stuff can't come close to comparing and its in much shorter supply...

A quick off the top of my head top 10 for each era:

Roth:
Mean Streets
Everybody Wants Some
And the Cradle Will Rock
Unchained
Fools
D.O.A.
I'm the One
Atomic Punk
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
Hot For Teacher

Hagar:
Humans Being
The Seventh Seal
Poundcake
Sucker in a 3 Piece
Mine All Mine
Get Up
Pleasure Dome
Good Enough
Black and Blue
Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)

List 1 kicks so much ass over list 2.

And the instrumentals...

Intruder, Cathedral, Sunday Afternoon in the Park, Spanish Fly, Eruption vs. the likes of 316, Strung Out and Baluchitherium...its like Tyson vs. Spinks.

I've got one that probably nobody but the Australians will recognise, and those three or four will probably not agree with the premise.

Augie March.

Yeah I disagree with this because I never found them terribly interesting in the first place - I saw them support Crowded House once and it's one of the worst-paced setlists I've ever seen. And One Crowded Hour is a a fucking dreadful song; I wince every time I hear it.

one song titled "(Love Shines) A Song for my Daughters about God"

:lmao:

Oh fuck me, you must be making that up.

Dream Theater. To the point to where I actively dislike the stuff I used to like by them.

How did I not mention them. Yes, absolutely yes.

Remember when you and I got seriously into them? They were on the Octavarium Tour and the setlists were amazing; they'd dig up all kinds of random gems from deep within their catalogue and play all kinds of wacky sets. It was really exciting to follow. In hindsight the writing was on the wall, but it didn't seem so at the time with things like Speak to Me, Raise the Knife, Light Fuse and Get Away, Another Won, Innocence Faded - all kinds of random, surprising shit. I was so pumped for them to come to Australia, and of course that tour didn't get down here. And then... Systematic Chaos was a total shitfest, but they finally toured and I figured how bad could it be. I enjoyed it at the time but it wasn't a patch on what they'd been playing during 2004-06, and everything since then has turned them into a total joke. I can't think about them without wondering what on earth I thought I was doing liking them.

But hey, at least I've remembered to tell them about my brother. Tell them about me. THE COUNT OF TUSCANY!

The Van Halen discussions are great. Hewson, you listed great songs from both singers. Dave's first era in VH was awesome and Sammy's time was great too. But, classic rock stations definitely play more of the VH/Roth deeper cuts than Sammy's. There's a station in Connecticut (WPLR-FM, 99.1) that would actually play the deeper cuts during their lunch time show. 99 Rock comes in clearly on Long Island and you can get it when you're driving on I95.

Here's one I'm not sure anyone mentioned. When Jefferson Airplane turned into Jefferson Starship which turned into Starship. They went from Somebody to Love/White Rabbit to We Built This City/Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now. Shit, even Grace Slick realized she had sold out to the Man. :wink: While she was counting all of the money from those songs, though. :wink:

Here's one I'm not sure anyone mentioned. When Jefferson Airplane turned into Jefferson Starship which turned into Starship. They went from Somebody to Love/White Rabbit to We Built This City/Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now. Shit, even Grace Slick realized she had sold out to the Man. :wink: While she was counting all of the money from those songs, though. :wink:
Oh yeah that was a full 180.

Going back years, but the band Live. They were my first ever favourite band and I enjoyed Secret Samadhi and Throwing Copper immensely. I found Live particularly exciting and cryptically interesting lyrically. But they gradually declined with each album after that, culminating in an atrocious album that featured the most bland, generic pop-rock songs imaginable, with one song titled "(Love Shines) A Song for my Daughters about God". That album was the ultimate betrayal. I remain baffled at how the band that thrilled me so much as a young teen. evolved into something so viciously unpleasant.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Perfect example. Throwing Copper was a perfect album. Hard to follow it up.

Then it's just a downward slide that took us to The Dolphins Cry and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Perfect example. Throwing Copper was a perfect album. Hard to follow it up.

Then it's just a downward slide that took us to The Dolphins Cry and beyond.

I actually liked The Distance From Here, but not every song. I even bought V, but after that I stopped paying attention. I got a chance to see them co-headline with Jane's Addiction at the Meadowlands Arena in NJ. The show took place a month after 9/11. It was a great show. They had a bunch of couches set up on the stage and the vibe was really cool. Ed left the group in 2009 and after that I no longer cared.

Going back years, but the band Live. They were my first ever favourite band and I enjoyed Secret Samadhi and Throwing Copper immensely. I found Live particularly exciting and cryptically interesting lyrically. But they gradually declined with each album after that, culminating in an atrocious album that featured the most bland, generic pop-rock songs imaginable, with one song titled "(Love Shines) A Song for my Daughters about God". That album was the ultimate betrayal. I remain baffled at how the band that thrilled me so much as a young teen. evolved into something so viciously unpleasant.

Haaaaa. Yes.

I mean, Throwing Copper is still ridiculously pretentious, but I still love it. So many great songs. (But still a hard pass on Lightning Crashes.)

I mean, Throwing Copper is still ridiculously pretentious, but I still love it. So many great songs. (But still a hard pass on Lightning Crashes.)

Definitely pass.
The best songs are the ones with swears, Stage, Waitress and Shit Towne (and Iris, White, Discussion and Dam at Otter Creek)

Definitely pass.

The best songs are the ones with swears, Stage, Waitress and Shit Towne (and Iris, White, Discussion and Dam at Otter Creek)

All these songs had some sort of personality and intrigue about them, even in the song titles alone and are still fun to listen to today (even if the nostalgia-element is high, for me).

Fast forward ten years, and they released songs like Heaven, Love Shines, Get Ready, Wings, The River.. All about as MOR as you can get.

I defended the fuck out of V when it came out. :shrug: I was like 17 or so. I used to love that band. Second concert I ever went to (when they were touring for The Distance to Here), I tracked down copies of all the singles, the 4 songs EP on vinyl and cd, everything. Even read that weird eastern meditation book that was supposedly a big influence on the Mental Jewelry album. Probably the only reason I wasn't personally affronted by Ed Kowalczyk finding Jesus was because I had sort of forgotten about them after the pile of mediocre trash that was Birds of Pray. But yeah that's another band that WTF happened to them.

And speaking of bands I loved in high school, the goddamn Barenaked Ladies. Post-Steven Page BNL is dead to me.

OH Yes!

That's probably #2 for me. I just can't even handle them. Seeing them live a few years ago, Travis practically had to drag me kicking and screaming, but I enjoyed it in the end.

they played very locally a couple years ago, and i did not go. i tried listening to some of the more recent stuff, it's not good. neither is page's solo stuff. dead to me. the reason i think we made it so far into this thread before i even thought to mention them is because they're that dead to me.

i actually listened to stunt the other day on my way home from work, and i'm pretty sure i'm always going to love that album. there aren't too many albums that are as personally important to me as that one. maybe like 4 or 5 others.

Here's one I'm not sure anyone mentioned. When Jefferson Airplane turned into Jefferson Starship which turned into Starship. They went from Somebody to Love/White Rabbit to We Built This City/Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.

Damn, I randomly mentioned Airplane and Starship and today one of the founding members of Airplane, Paul Kantner, died today at age 74.

No, YOU caused it with that new RMT thread title of yours. Between the both of you, he was doomed.

I'm a huge Jefferson Airplane fan so I'm incredibly sad to hear that. What a bummer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom