Band of horses appriciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanner_sis

War Child
so the new album is out..YEY!!

heres some pics i took in august..

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

I want full reports of yall seeing them in Nov..i will be seeing Modest mouse at the time..and they arent coming to ohio..:(.. hopefully they will add us..i think they had alot of fun here lol:wink:

:up: Excellent band, I'll let you know how the show is in Nov.

EDIT: Just bought the album on iTunes :D

Last edited:
Everything All The Time is just amazing, I haven't heard the new one yet

yep! they are one hell of a band!

saw them with tanner in philly when they opened for Modest Mouse.

gives me hope (and some proof) that great new music still has a chance in this day and age and can atually still get out there and appreciated. heh. rarely, but is. lmao.

same goes for Love as Laughter and.. Modest Mouse themselves. :wink:
*Now if we could just form our own special PR company for them all.... they could take over the world* heh.

Had this conversation with Cujo a week or two back, but I'm not really sure what I think of these guys. Sometimes I think that I really like them, other times I think they're too inconsistent. Their big singles are fantastic, but there's a whole lot of filler on both albums. Too much filler for my tastes. As I'm kind of more of an "album" type of guy, sometimes this really annoys me. Sometimes when I'm in the right mood the albums go down easily, other times I'm much less forgiving on the weaker tracks.

Regardless, their good moments are fantastic. The Funeral is certainly one of the best songs of the last few years. For that alone, I still try to give them the benefit of the doubt. In their similar vein, I still greatly prefer Built to Spill and My Morning Jacket.

I like them yet I hardly ever listen to them. I pretty much agree with mofo. I like select songs but not entire records, and I prefer MMJ as well (though I don't really listen to them much either).

DJFungus said:
saw them with tanner in philly when they opened for Modest Mouse.

Are Modest Mouse good live? I have tickets to see them this weekend but my friend can't go (because he moved away, the bastard :angry:) and now I'm losing interest in going. I need a pep talk or I'm going to try to sell my tickets.

joyfulgirl said:

Are Modest Mouse good live? I have tickets to see them this weekend but my friend can't go (because he moved away, the bastard :angry:) and now I'm losing interest in going. I need a pep talk or I'm going to try to sell my tickets.

I don't know if they are or not either, as I had to miss seeing them earlier this year. In terms of a pep talk though:

YOU CAN SEE JOHNNY MARR PLAY IN PERSON IF YOU GO SEE THEM!!!!!!!! SMITHS 4 EVAR!!!!

:wink:

In Band of Horses related news, their cover of Grizzly Bear's 'Plans' is pretty good.

Seriously though, they have so many good songs, I'm sure it would be fun to see them live regardless of how well they perform. I hope I can see them some day. If I lived closer, I'd buy the second ticket from you!

Well, I've been doing a little research this morning and apparently they are really uneven live. Some shows are really great, and with others the band seems lazy or Brock is fucked up, and after two opening acts they take like another hour to come on. That kind of attitude/unprofessionalism is the downside of some good indie bands. I'm trying to find out who the opening act is. I was hoping it would be Band of Horses (see, staying on topic!) but they're on their own tour now. I kind of have a bad feeling about this show...

joyfulgirl said:
Well, I've been doing a little research this morning and apparently they are really uneven live. Some shows are really great, and with others the band seems lazy or Brock is fucked up, and after two opening acts they take like another hour to come on. That kind of attitude/unprofessionalism is the downside of some good indie bands. I'm trying to find out who the opening act is. I was hoping it would be Band of Horses (see, staying on topic!) but they're on their own tour now. I kind of have a bad feeling about this show...

I've unfortunately heard the same thing. They've been around for so freaking long though, I dont know what to think. They have to at least be decent even when they're bad, other wise how would they have ever gotten as big as they are?

Love As Laughter is the opener in Albuquerque according to Pitchfork. Rilo Kiley opened here, which would have been cool.

I imagine Modest Mouse has its own thread!!

Cease to Begin has that opening magic with the first two songs being so intoxicating and gripping that it's almost impossible to stop listening after that.

I've been listening to it over and over again and never skipping a track.

Then I went back to Z and of course MMJ are the greatest at this new southern rock thing.

Weird, because I like KOL too and that band gets all the play but I think that BOH and MMJ beat KOL every time.

okay if you have tix to see MM live SO FUCKIN DO IT!! they are on the ball! and the incosistant /isaac fucked up thing was soooo from previous tours..they are so great live! :drool: I just got back from a road trip this weekend and saw them 3 times..and once more in december in chicago..

as for BOH yes..still loving them..tho im kinda sad robin left the band..but hes with LAL now..and they are still great..also check out Man Man..fuckin wild!

Saw Band of Horses in Minneapolis last Wednesday, and wow, they fulfilled every expectation I had of them. Apparently, the sound monitors were messed up, so they were yelling a bit on stage, but everything sounded great from my perspective (front row :hyper: ), and the guys were great about it. The Funeral was a highlight for me, but really, all the songs were amazing, and they sound nearly identical to the album versions.

PB140304.jpg

PB140298.jpg

PB140297.jpg

PB140292.jpg

PB140291.jpg

PB140283.jpg

PB140281.jpg

EDIT: I'm in no way implying anyone in this thread has or is in any way shape or form doing what is below. I've quite enjoyed everyone's pics in the thread. Just realized after I posted the link that someone may mistake my reasons for posting.

One of my friends just pointed me towards this interview last week. I admittedly didn't read the whole thing, but I found this interesting and spot on in regards to some indie crowds lately:

Link

But then you had all these kids up front, that seemed so disinterested in the show and didn't look up at the stage or anything. They just kind of sat there in front of the stage. Just seemed like they didn't want to be there at all, until we played "The Funeral". So all of a sudden you had these people that seemed so disinterested in the show all, somehow at the same time, pull their cameras out of their bags and start filming.

So I'm sitting there-- now they're really interested in this one song-- and they still won't make eye contact, looking through their little lenses, taping this one song for their blogs or for their fucking YouTube [accounts] or whatever, and it was just so annoying. It's like, this show is already going south, and these people that seem disinterested are only here to further their YouTube accounts or their blogs or whatever, and it just pissed me off.

It was really annoying. It was just scratching at the surface of what's happening to shows lately. Everybody's got a camera in their pocket, and they turn it on to just, I don't know, exploit us in some way or further their own projects or whatever the fuck they're doing with their websites and shit. It's become a little bit ridiculous, and it was just a bit unnerving, and [with] the situation with the show and everything, all the stars lined up and I got pissed off.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
EDIT: I'm in no way implying anyone in this thread has or is in any way shape or form doing what is below. I've quite enjoyed everyone's pics in the thread. Just realized after I posted the link that someone may mistake my reasons for posting.

One of my friends just pointed me towards this interview last week. I admittedly didn't read the whole thing, but I found this interesting and spot on in regards to some indie crowds lately:

Link

But then you had all these kids up front, that seemed so disinterested in the show and didn't look up at the stage or anything. They just kind of sat there in front of the stage. Just seemed like they didn't want to be there at all, until we played "The Funeral". So all of a sudden you had these people that seemed so disinterested in the show all, somehow at the same time, pull their cameras out of their bags and start filming.

So I'm sitting there-- now they're really interested in this one song-- and they still won't make eye contact, looking through their little lenses, taping this one song for their blogs or for their fucking YouTube [accounts] or whatever, and it was just so annoying. It's like, this show is already going south, and these people that seem disinterested are only here to further their YouTube accounts or their blogs or whatever, and it just pissed me off.

It was really annoying. It was just scratching at the surface of what's happening to shows lately. Everybody's got a camera in their pocket, and they turn it on to just, I don't know, exploit us in some way or further their own projects or whatever the fuck they're doing with their websites and shit. It's become a little bit ridiculous, and it was just a bit unnerving, and [with] the situation with the show and everything, all the stars lined up and I got pissed off.

I completely get where he's coming from...I, admittedly and obviously, bring my camera to every show I go to, simply because I want at least a few shots to remember the evening. I do try to keep the picture taking to a minimum though, and I put it away for good chunks of time simply to soak in the performance. Also, out of respect for the artist, I keep the flash off, especially since if you're not in the first couple rows, flash isn't going to help at all and will probably make the pictures look worse.

However, for example, at the Minneapolis show, even though there were plenty of people taking pictures and such, the crowd was dancing and singing along the whole night. It just depends, I think. But, if I were a performer, I'd get really annoyed and pissed off if people were looking bored the whole night, and then whipped out their cameras to tape one song and put it up for their own personal YouTube glory. That's just ridiculous.

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with taking your camera and getting some photos to remember the night, onebloodonelife. Especially being a fan, makes complete sense. I have been to shows in the last couple years where there are people who don't seem to have any clue who the band even is or what any of the songs are that are up front grabbing pictures/video though. That is pretty annoying. I always hate how the press people will push people up front out of the way so they can take some pictures for 20 minutes. If they wanted the pictures so badly, they should have come early!

Please, pretty please, Ben, don't become one of these anti-media I live in a hobbit hole blogs are from the devil types.

Blogs are the new zine, and we all live, breathe, and bet our lives on plugging bands like Band of Horses.

That said, I still can;t stop listening to the new record.

More tour dates. Shows I can catch!!!

01-20 Charleston, SC - Music Farm
01-21 Norfolk, VA - The Norva
01-22 Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore at the TLA
01-23 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
01-24 State College, PA - State Theatre
01-25 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
01-26 Louisville, KY - Headliners Music Hall
01-27 Newport, KY - Southgate House
01-29 Nashville, TN - Exit/In
01-30 Memphis, TN - HiTone Café
01-31 St. Louis, MO - Gargoyle
02-01 Norman, OK - Meacham Auditorium (University of Oklahoma)
02-02 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom
02-03 Austin, TX - La Zona Rosa
02-04 Baton Rouge, LA - Spanish Moon
02-06 Birmingham, AL - Bottle Tree
02-07 Tallahassee, FL - Beta Bar
02-09 Orlando, FL - Social
02-10 Orlando, FL - Social
02-12 Mt. Pleasant, SC - Village Tavern

BonoManiac said:
So has anyone noticed that "The Funeral" is being used in Ford commercials now?

:lol: I did. I was actually half-sleeping on the couch and heard the song, so I flipped over real quick to see why it was on TV.

Back
Top Bottom