B&C's Reactions to "Professional" Reviews - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:39 PM
If Fanatano isn't annoying and pretentious as hell compared to a lot of things, I'm glad I don't read reviews. Hate that guy.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'd seen the Hot Chip one but not the Lana Del Rey one. Those are some pathetic self-satisfied little fucks. At least when p4k reviewed a Jet album with a gif of a monkey pissing in its mouth it was funny.
Like Ripfork, I'm not much amused by that one, either. Entitled assholes, all of them.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:39 AM
P4K's Lateralus review is probably the funniest review I've ever read.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
P4K's Lateralus review is probably the funniest review I've ever read.
My brain can't navigate this review.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
This review is terrible because of the score he gives it

Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy ALBUM REVIEW - YouTube

And then the score he gives this

Skrillex- Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites EP REVIEW - YouTube

I'd seen the Hot Chip one but not the Lana Del Rey one. Those are some pathetic self-satisfied little fucks. At least when p4k reviewed a Jet album with a gif of a monkey pissing in its mouth it was funny.

I like video reviews more because they better illustrate "why the fuck would I care what this guy thinks?"
Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

"I have done my best to place the album, as a series of utterances, in its agony and vacuity, in its depth, in its lonely sincerity, with its unnameable masks on, at the center of an endlessly conflicted, hip niche within contemporary capitalism, to show itself."

Fuck you, you fucking twat
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I like video reviews better because they better illustrate "why the fuck would I care what this guy thinks?"
See, that's the big key point to me. It's not like a magazine itself does a composite review and you trust it because they're a bastion of good taste or integrity. It's an individual, and most of the time, I have no fucking who that person is, why they're qualified to write a review, what their tastes in general are like, etc. I cannot pretend to ignore all reviews, because I do read them, especially for film/TV....but I usually read them after I've consumed the product, which might run counter to the whole point, but, I find that a lot more interesting and productive for me than letting some anonymous prick's sour and haughty manner potentially impact my choice making. Not saying everyone should avoid reviews or that every reviewer is some pretentious asshole....just saying that, for me, I find them more useful as a counter balance to the opinions I've already formed as opposed to a fountainhead for forming that opinion in the first place.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #38
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Good points.

They should be required to show pictures / video of the person reviewing anything on the internet, so we can know how big of a douche they are.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

And Needle Drop guy is the biggest of them all. But we've been down this road before, haven't we? I just find that being able to see them makes the entitlement worse.

I, also, do not read reviews (of films at least) until after I've seen them, for whatever reason.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #40
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
"I have done my best to place the album, as a series of utterances, in its agony and vacuity, in its depth, in its lonely sincerity, with its unnameable masks on, at the center of an endlessly conflicted, hip niche within contemporary capitalism, to show itself."

Fuck you, you fucking twat
See, I like Fantano because he would never, ever say something that ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
And Needle Drop guy is the biggest of them all.
Because no, he's not.

The distance between the writer and the reader is much larger than the distance between the speaker and listener, so the content is bound to be more pretentious. If Pitchfork's writers are given extra time to think, they will use it poorly.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
...just saying that, for me, I find them more useful as a counter balance to the opinions I've already formed as opposed to a fountainhead for forming that opinion in the first place.
This is a smart way to use reviews. This forum has become my go-to place for recommendations, but Pitchfork, whatever its problems, is still a valuable source of new music for me. They have very rarely steered me wrong. In fact, I can only think of three things they have strongly recommended that I have not found much if any value in.

And here they are:

Neutral Milk Hotel
Pavement
My Beautiful Stereotypical Fantasy

Quote:
And Needle Drop guy is the biggest of them all.
I'm genuinely curious as to what people have against this guy, aside from his super-hipster appearance.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
This is a smart way to use reviews. This forum has become my go-to place for recommendations, but Pitchfork, whatever its problems, is still a valuable source of new music for me. They have very rarely steered me wrong. In fact, I can only think of three things they have strongly recommended that I have not found much if any value in.

And here they are:

Neutral Milk Hotel
Pavement
My Beautiful Stereotypical Fantasy

I'm genuinely curious as to what people have against this guy, aside from his super-hipster appearance.
I rely on the fine posters on site to distill Pitchfork's offerings down and provide me with recommendations.

As for your spoiler:

I have tried multiple times, over many many years to get into Pavement. Fail miserably every time. I am always willing to give a band/album a 2nd chance if I didn't originally like them, especially as time goes by and my tastes presumably change.....but I rarely go above and beyond two attempts. I did so with Pavement because so many people I like and respect really swear by them, but, clearly, they are just not for me.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Because no, he's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
It's just seeing him that does it for me. Visuals speak as much as language. I just don't know why I should care what some guy in his bedroom with a webcam thinks.

Should I care about what someone who sits at a desk thinks either? Probably not, I'm just telling you what vibe I get from him and others like him (except for the Hip Hop collective, for whatever reason. They just seem like they're having a good time.)
Old 04-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #44
Refugee

I was always meh on the Needle Drop but really stopped following him when he said he wouldn't review any Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree because the audio/production was "too clean."

That may be the douchiest reasoning I've ever heard for dismissing something. If he just didn't like the music, I'd be alright with that. But this "too clean" argument sounds like nonsense.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
My brain can't navigate this review.
What do you mean? I think it's great (and I like Lateralus).

Most of Fantano's reviews are pretty insightful BTW.